Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes + Tesla ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure MB, like many other auto makers would be much happier if they could persuade Tesla to stop making embarrassingly quick BEVs and just roll over and become a battery pack supplier.

Prior to their split was a rumor that DaimlerChrysler was "thinking about" some kind of deal with Tesla.

It looks to me like the German car makers, broadly speaking, have put the least research into electric drivetrains. Their focus has been mostly on diesel. As the electrification of the automobile progresses, they're going to find themselves playing catch up. Interest in Tesla would make perfect sense in that context, though I think it's too early for them to really get serious (or desperate) about it.

I would love to see a joint venture with MB... Not only would it provide a foothold on the European mainland, it would also provide some real experience in mass production...something it has become obvious Tesla is struggling with.

It's too soon to conclude that they are 'struggling' I think. If they had been trying to get the Whitestar mass produced for a few years, then I'd say they're struggling with mass production. You CAN grow too fast and one of the most important things for Tesla to avoid right now is chaos from growth.

It would be interesting to find out more about the logistics of mass producing an all electric car. The difficulty of making cars is not a technological one but a logistical one isn't it? You need thousands of parts from hundreds of different suppliers. So it makes me wonder, would mass production be easier for an electric car from this point of view, or what makes the problems different from mass producing an ICE car.