Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merge lanes? What gives?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if this is specific to my region (canada) or if FSD EAP just do not recognize lane endings at all.

Every single lane merge I have gone through now in the past month with EAP and few days with FSD have all ignored lane merge signs, it flat out doesn't even see them. And then the lane will end and I'll be quickly shoved into the proper lane.

Is this normal? Has anyone had any luck with the car using its blinker and merging early?

With EAP this is sketchy because it recognizes it last second and then also requires a lane change confirmation so you are running off into the shoulder by the time it navigates it

I'm wondering if this is specific to my region (canada) or if FSD EAP just do not recognize lane endings at all.

Every single lane merge I have gone through now in the past month with EAP and few days with FSD have all ignored lane merge signs, it flat out doesn't even see them. And then the lane will end and I'll be quickly shoved into the proper lane.

Is this normal? Has anyone had any luck with the car using its blinker and merging early?
Why would you not do that? I'd consider that expected behavior in that situation. Just because the assisted driving feature is taking care of most things, does not mean you should let it completely control your world. After all you are the pilot in command.
With EAP this is sketchy because it recognizes it last second and then also requires a lane change confirmation so you are running off into the shoulder by the time it navigates it
You don't have to require confirmation. I turned that option off.

You don't have to require confirmation. I turned that option off.

In Canada it's required, EAP or FSD highways requires lane change confirmation even when set to off.

And obv I take over before it runs off the road but it's sad that everything else works pretty well, but it will never merge early even on city streets lane merging with signage

Same on most (but not all) occasions.. Just trying to merge onto an internstate highway with a long entrance ramp, there's plenty of time to signal/merge but it seems to currently prefer to simply wait for the lane to end and then abruptly merge once it's figured out there's no choice. Maybe it's unable to determine when an entrance lane becomes its own lane v. simply an extended entrance ramp. Works of course, but very un-human like.

I'm also just north of Toronto (Richmond Hill). What's more annoying for me is that the car keeps going into "Bus Lane Only" lane, or just doesn't know what on left turns due to "Bus Lane Only" lanes.

I'm happy to find this thread. I'm having problems and can't find anything else online about the subject, especially not how to report problems to Tesla. References to "report via Tesla My Account" haven't helped me. I cannot find a way to submit a problem report.

Much driving the past two weeks using autosteer and autonavigation has brought me close to truck collisions. I've had to intervene to avoid crashes. I'm quite sure that had I not intervened we would have collided.

My cameras and the whole system operates fine otherwise. I am not using FSD Beta, just all the EAP features with the normal build. At this time, I am stuck at 2022.28.200.

Merging is a situation where this happens. Basic lane changing generally works well for me. But like you, I also get mixed results with merges. I usually choose to intervene because I either don't think it will succeed, or it actually is failing. I'm amazed with all the talk about robust Tesla vehicle safety, largely due to Tesla Vision, that I'd easily be able to find reports and discussions about other people having similar experiences. And it's not just merging. Autosteer in bright daylight on a well marked interstate highway has let the car approach a truck requiring my intervention. Yes, hazard avoidance works well, but not 100% of the time! For me, these autosteer near misses are the result of the other vehicle veering of course while my car stays perfectly centered. And it only sometimes happens, not often.

I said generally good basic lane changing. When autonavigating on the interstate, it often tries to change lanes inappropriately, when there is no reason to do so. This has often frustrated drivers following me.

FSD development might be making GREAT advances, but whatever is being achieved there apparently is NOT sufficiently helping with my EAP functions.