Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merging two adjacent EV charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about making a device can merge two adjacent EV charging stations’ connector in order to increase charging speed. SAE J1772 uses pwm/duty cycle to communicate so it’s not difficult to implement. My only concern is the regulations and I can’t find any related materials online.
Any ideas/ suggestions?

The charger is inside the car, I am not sure to understand what you try to accomplish?

The original Model S had an option for getting two inboard chargers, is it what you may have in mind?
I am talking about something like this:
1651483227841.png

Attachments

• 1651483197137.png
    1651483197137.png
    78.6 KB · Views: 80
Technically those aren't chargers. They just supply AC current. Never the less, there are many reasons to not attempt what you are suggesting. You don't know what's on the other end of those plugs - how the circuits are connected to each other or how they are protected.

It's also really a dick move to occupy two EVSEs with one vehicle. To me that's worse than just parking in the spot and not using it.

What's your use case for this contraption?

Reactions: AlexHung
I have seen the opposite case (in fact, that is what I built and use at home) where you take a single 6.6kW EVSE and split it into two "outlets" which can either supply the full 6.6kW (if only one is being used, or it is in "sequential" mode where one car charges and then the other), or it splits the power into 3.3kW on each connector. This mechanism is very simple in that the unit simply outputs an "available" power of 3.3kW each individual pilot line (when in shared mode) and then relies on each car to not exceed pulling that much power. But it additionally verifies this by monitoring the current draw on each connector and shutting down the car if it pulls too much.

Doing what you are talking about is quite a bit more complicated. First you would need to handle the case where the individual EVSEs are not on the same phase. For 120V EVSEs on a split phase system, this might be a blessing in disguise, as you could use the split phases to generate a 240V phase. But I suspect you are looking for a way to combine two public charging stations into a higher power charging station (I won't question the ethics of your taking up two charging stations). What if these are on two different phases of a 3-phase electrical supply? You certainly can't just tie the two AC +/- lines together! And you would need to actively manage the current draw from each of the EVSEs so as to not exceed the rating of each individual one by pulling all the power through just one of the legs.

I suspect what you are looking to make is going to wind up looking like two car chargers that convert each of the incoming AC lines into DC, and then back into AC so you can use the J1772 shown in your picture. And at that point, why bother with that? You may as well just make a level 2 DC charger and call it a day.

Either way, this is not going to be a simple device.

Technically those aren't chargers. They just supply AC current. Never the less, there are many reasons to not attempt what you are suggesting. You don't know what's on the other end of those plugs - how the circuits are connected to each other or how they are protected.

It's also really a dick move to occupy two EVSEs with one vehicle. To me that's worse than just parking in the spot and not using it.

What's your use case for this contraption?
Yes, I understand those charging stations are just fancy power outlets. Combining two EVSEs is no difference than combining 2 NEMA 5-15 on different breakers if on the same AC phase. All things the device needs to do is check each input’s phase and override the control signal.

There’s a parking lot with some of EVSEs near my apartment and each time I charge my vehicle there it’s nearly empty. Combining two EVSEs can reduce the charging time from 10 hrs to 5 hrs from empty to full.

Yes, I understand those charging stations are just fancy power outlets. Combining two EVSEs is no difference than combining 2 NEMA 5-15 on different breakers if on the same AC phase. All things the device needs to do is check each input’s phase and override the control signal.

There’s a parking lot with some of EVSEs near my apartment and each time I charge my vehicle there it’s nearly empty. Combining two EVSEs can reduce the charging time from 10 hrs to 5 hrs from empty to full.
Even combining two NEMA 5-15 outlets on different breakers is not a simple thing. Not only is it possible that the two hots may be on opposite phases in a North American split phase system, but you cannot just draw 30 amps and rely on both branches to equally take 15 amps. If there is any difference in resistance along the two paths, the lower resistance one will naturally pass more current and will overheat and/or trip the breaker.

In the case of the public EVSE, they are probably 208V three phase and any two stations may have a different two of the three phases. For example, station one may be L1 and L2 while station two may be L2 and L3. This is so that the load is spread more equally across the three phase system. A single vehicle can't tell the difference, but when you try to combine them, you have a problem.

CandS This is an interesting theoretical discussion. I thought of the same thing awhile ago as it might be really handy to shorten time at L2 stations.
There's a couple ways to approach this, first the easiest is to order a 20kW Setec portable DC fast charger, they offer them with both a Chademo and CCS combo connector but what's really cool is now they now offer a Tesla connector! As the old chademo Tesla adapter has been discontinued and is expensive and not all the cars can do CCS yet without upgrades from and performed at Tesla I'm really happy to see Setec offered the Tesla plug. You have to ask them to customize it when you order it and tell them you want two power inputs, their 20 kW portable actually has two 10 kilowatt units inside, you would then use a simple j1772 to Nema 1450 adapter, actually a pair of them to feed the Setec, however their not cheap for about 8-10k, high watt AC to DC converters never are.

One of the methods described above is similar to what a quick 220 power supply can do by grabbing the hot phase off at each cable (l2 actually has two already) to make 240 this won't work for a number of reasons, first of all the j-1772 spec requires GFI protection inside EVSE's so without returning the current back to the correct charging station you will end up tripping it's GFI so you can't use a quick 220 type power supply idea and you can't parallel up the hot phases from each connector.

This would be simpler with an EV conversion you could simply use two on board AC Chargers and have them go to one port on each side of the car so you truly have a dual Chargers.

The second option for use with an OEM EV, what you're going to need is two isolation Transformers, what this will allow you to do is play with the secondaries, that's the output of the Transformers, and do whatever you want without affecting what's going on with the input side, this will also keep the GFI circuits happy as each charging station is basically just driving a Transformer, each Transformer is going to have to be the rated at least what charging station in the wild would be, so let's say it's a common chargepoint those put out 30 amps you're lucky if it's on 240 volts instead of 208 volts commercial power so that's 7.2 KW so you need two transformers that can do 7.2 kilowatts continuous that's not going to be cheap but there's a company... Maddox Transformers, I believe they're called that wholesale used Transformers so you'll be able to get a way better price there. What you're looking for are one-to-one isolation Transformers but those products typically aren't in such a large size so the thing to go after at this point is a couple 240 volt to 120v step down Transformers, the 240 being the primary side you would then take the two 120 volt secondaries and put them in series to give yourself the 240 volts you want. You will be able to pull 14.4kW with this setup (approx 240v at 60amps) The transformers output would feed a large L2 EVSE like a GEN 2 wall connector that is set to twice what ever the public stations are offering and there you go. Your EV does have to have an onboard charger to use this much amperage, my 2018 MS 100D can for example (72amps) but most Tesla's were 40amps, now 48amps is their standard. The F-150 Lightning ER can accept 80amps! If you don't have a large on-board charger then Option #1 with the Setec is what you would have to use.