Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Meridian Magnesium fire's effect on Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

McRat

Jan 20, 2016
LA
Meridian provides parts for most the major North American players. Ford is shutting down F150 production, GM is adjusting their lines, and Fiat/Chrysler is as well.

It appears Meridian is also a Tesla supplier? Look at the icons:

Meridian: magnesium die cast automotive components and assemblies

Meridian is going to be down 4 months.

Anyone know which parts are magnesium die castings on Teslas?

Limited to Model 3 only?

We don't know all of what's happening internally, but it's likely that there are spare die casting molds that can be brought on line fairly quickly at another Meridian plant, or in another supplier's plant.

This is an all-hands-on-deck situation for Meridian and Ford, and something will be resolved quickly. I can just imagine the incredible pressure that people are under right now.

We don't know all of what's happening internally, but it's likely that there are spare die casting molds that can be brought on line fairly quickly at another Meridian plant, or in another supplier's plant.

This is an all-hands-on-deck situation for Meridian and Ford, and something will be resolved quickly. I can just imagine the incredible pressure that people are under right now.
There was a good piece on NPR about this yesterday. Yes, they have most of the tools and casts and stuff; in fact when the fire started that was the first stuff rescued. But the problem is that there's no room at the inn... or other people's plants either. They're still looking at about 3-4 months.

There was a good piece on NPR about this yesterday. Yes, they have most of the tools and casts and stuff; in fact when the fire started that was the first stuff rescued. But the problem is that there's no room at the inn... or other people's plants either. They're still looking at about 3-4 months.

Not to dispute the challenges, but I find that hard to believe. Ford will move heaven and earth to get the F150 line running again. I'll bet that that's the last time that Ford single-sources a component like this.