TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Merit Builder Tesla Charging

Discussion in 'Video' started by TEG, Jul 2, 2010.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  2. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

The solar carport is interesting. here's a PDF on the product but I still have a few questions.
    Meritbuilders Solar-Carport

What are the max wind loads?
    How long will the panels last before any major work needs to done on them? What material is the port made out of?
    Will there be any special permiting needed to construct the unit?
    What happens when an EV is not charging?
    Is the product storing power or can it store power with a few changes?

3. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Unless this thing has power storage, it doesn't strike me as being very useful. During the day my car is usually nowhere near the charger. It gets charged at night.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

When you look at the product specs PDF you can see it says "Grid-tied system".
    So it would feed power back to the grid during the day (used by others who are busy with their daily power demands), and then you would charge from grid power at night. Many power companies will pay more for daytime power you give them than they charge for night time power since daytime demands tend to be much higher.

5. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

The Grid is the Battery ! :smile:

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Okay, fair enough.

In that case, having the cars park under it is just for show!

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It's exactly the kind of show we need everywhere. Having electric cars parked under solar panels is a great visual link to show they can run without burning anything.

8. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I would agree with Doug on this point. What if a person lives in an area where they may not be tied to the Grid or they may chose to live off of the grid then having some type of storage would be nice.

I like the fact that there will be a ROI because the system can be tied to the Grid.

9. edo

edo Member

It also does keep the car cooler in the summer... so there will be less AC losses when you leave.

10. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I'd like to expand on this point a bit. While it would be really cool to charge up while the sun is shining and get real sunshine-generated electrons in your battery, electrons are fungible. While it is great that some electrons are sunshine-generated, it doesn't really matter whether those particular ones end up in your car or not. The best use is to feed them to the grid in high-demand hours (usually daylight, fortunately when the sun is shining!), when you can help the grid keep from having to use its dirtiest sources to satisfy that last bit of load. Then you can pull the electrons you need at night, when there is excess capacity.

You lose out on the satisfaction of saying your car contains real condensed sunshine; but you really do more to clean up the whole system. (And in most states with most utilities, as TEG noted, you come out ahead dollar-wise as well).

Of course having storage is still useful if you are not connected to the grid, or if you want to be prepared if the grid goes down.

11. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

And someday in the future, when V2G is ready for primetime, your solar panels *AND* your EV battery will supply your neighbor's air conditioners during the day, and then the EV battery will be recharged at night to replenish energy used for both driving and balancing the daytime needs of the grid.

12. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

#12 meloccom, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
    Aerovironment are already working on a home charger with on board battery storage.
    AV Home Chargers
    Scroll down to "Home Charging Appliance"
    This thing will allow you to take advantage of night rates and efficiencies and allow you to charge at any time.
    Hope they can make it work at a reasonable price.