Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merry Christmas! 2020 Model X DEAD .... Tried Lots of things, but maybe not all, any help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! and Happy Holidays ALL!
Our 2020 Model X will not power on, The Car has Battery Power, and will charge ..... Doors / Frunk, etc, all work,,, key Fob works, but thats it..... sigh...

Both screens are BLACK, and the car will not drive. -- Here is what I have tried so far....

(1) I have tried the Scroll wheel button media computer reboot to no avail (Several times), no luck
(2) Full system Reboot (Brake, Scroll Wheel Buttons, and teo buttons above scroll wheel. ** I feel like the car attempts to do "Something* but screens never come up.
(3) I have Disconnected Maion power , waited 2 mins and then disconnected 12v Battery . ** No Joy **
(4) I have good voltage (North of 14v) on my 12v Battery which was replaced THIS YEAR by Tesla Under Warranty.
(5) I have left the Car to charge for hours, but no change. (PS: it DOES Charge......, but the vehicle from last night was already at about 75%)

** One clue.
Late last night on my APP; I saw a notice for the New Software Update to be installed but needed to be connected to WIFI to install..... so it was this morning when I went into My garage to connect to wifi when I noticed the car would not show me either screen....

** ANOTHER Interesting clue.
-- After getting in the vehicle and pressing the BRAKE pedal, I hear "4 ticks", or "4 clicks" repeating over and over coming from the center console. And to MY EARS it sounds like a failing Spinning hard drive..... Surely Tesla does not use any spinning media drives in these vehicles right?

Any thoughts??, Wishing all a healthy happy end of year celebration.

Reactions: Wol747
Hi @RandomPlanet ,

I could guess a DC-DC converter failure.... Very loud clicks...

With all black screens, there is not much to suggest...

Does the app work?

Sounds to me like an emergency appointment with your Service Center (Kennesaw?).

Good luck,

Shawn
The APP does NOT work, and when I spoke with Tesla, they could NOT see the car either...... Interesting about the DC to DC converter failure.... The clicks I heard were NOT loud ... quite faint actually, Ill keep digging..... as of now the APP has an appointment for me Scheduled JAN 18 at Kennesaw Tesla...... Umm, I cant wait that long.I will keep trying, thanks Shawn!

The APP does NOT work, and when I spoke with Tesla, they could NOT see the car either...... Interesting about the DC to DC converter failure.... The clicks I heard were NOT loud ... quite faint actually, Ill keep digging..... as of now the APP has an appointment for me Scheduled JAN 18 at Kennesaw Tesla...... Umm, I cant wait that long.I will keep trying, thanks Shawn!

You might try calling roadside assistance. Maybe they can get you in a little earlier.

Our 2020 Model X will not power on, The Car has Battery Power, and will charge ..... Doors / Frunk, etc, all work,,, key Fob works, but thats it..... sigh...

Both screens are BLACK, and the car will not drive. -- Here is what I have tried so far....

(1) I have tried the Scroll wheel button media computer reboot to no avail (Several times), no luck
(2) Full system Reboot (Brake, Scroll Wheel Buttons, and teo buttons above scroll wheel. ** I feel like the car attempts to do "Something* but screens never come up.
(3) I have Disconnected Maion power , waited 2 mins and then disconnected 12v Battery . ** No Joy **
(4) I have good voltage (North of 14v) on my 12v Battery which was replaced THIS YEAR by Tesla Under Warranty.
(5) I have left the Car to charge for hours, but no change. (PS: it DOES Charge......, but the vehicle from last night was already at about 75%)

** One clue.
Late last night on my APP; I saw a notice for the New Software Update to be installed but needed to be connected to WIFI to install..... so it was this morning when I went into My garage to connect to wifi when I noticed the car would not show me either screen....

-- After getting in the vehicle and pressing the BRAKE pedal, I hear "4 ticks", or "4 clicks" repeating over and over coming from the center console. And to MY EARS it sounds like a failing Spinning hard drive..... Surely Tesla does not use any spinning media drives in these vehicles right?

Check my file this happened to my 2021 pre refresh. It was a MCU failure. They had to replace the entire thing.

** One clue.

Almost exactly the same here with my 2020 S: I think the MCU must be working as the handles come out, trunk opens etc but screens are black.

Well, roadside assist came to the rescue - not physically since I'm well outside their envelope - I asked for a service appointment as a starter and they booked me into the nearest SC in two days' time. Since the car was dead and the SC is a couple of hundred miles away they diagnosed a software issue and did something OTA, had me re-install last week's update and it came back to life. Fingers crossed.....

Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago to my 2018 MX. It is currently in the shop and supposedly the MCU2, and since it is out of warranty it is costing me more than $2000 to fix. Tesla couldn't see mine either. I am wondering how they were to do something OTA to yours if they couldn't see it, and if this could fix me too. Any idea what they did? My status is "waiting for parts".