Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Merry Model X-mas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is something that may get posted a few more times, and I'm good with that.

Tesla's are not just cars, they are the physical representation of the heart and soul of the people that create them. This video is shows off the creative gift these people have. Those that own one, have test driven one or patiently waiting for delivery on one (Maybe not so much :crying:) know I'm talking about.

Thank you sharing and re-sharing.

Screen Shot 2015-12-24 at 8.13.43 PM.png

The interesting part is the individual control of left vs right headlights, fog lights, etc. There's no good reason why the car would ever want to do that, so why can it even be done through software?

Body control modules have been able to control many functions for several years now. The BCM is the gateway to the car, and pretty much any thing you do in a car now is a "request" for something (the power window switch requests the window down and the controller at the motor responds). The lights are the same, except Tesla chooses to control each light individually. The doors are the same. Touch or pull the handle requestes the door module to respond. Our scan tool allows us to test the communication and function of various modules / actuators / lights /speakers ect thru the BCM / CAN buss, so the light show software can be placed and accessed thru any module on the buss.

Body control modules have been able to control many functions for several years now. The BCM is the gateway to the car, and pretty much any thing you do in a car now is a "request" for something (the power window switch requests the window down and the controller at the motor responds). The lights are the same, except Tesla chooses to control each light individually. The doors are the same. Touch or pull the handle requestes the door module to respond. Our scan tool allows us to test the communication and function of various modules / actuators / lights /speakers ect thru the BCM / CAN buss, so the light show software can be placed and accessed thru any module on the buss.
I'm just saying that it makes no sense at all to have that ability, it adds cost and complexity for a feature that you simply have no use for (outside this easter egg) Sure the control method makes sense, but I'd expect it to be for "lights" not "right light and left light" as you NEVER have a use for them independantly.

I'm just saying that it makes no sense at all to have that ability, it adds cost and complexity for a feature that you simply have no use for (outside this easter egg) Sure the control method makes sense, but I'd expect it to be for "lights" not "right light and left light" as you NEVER have a use for them independantly.

When you turn on the turn signals, the DRLs dim on the S. I would assume this is the same for the X. When you turn, different LEDs light up to into the turn. BMW and Mercedes have the ability to mask high beams as to not blind on coming traffic but still illuminate the other areas of the road. With the AP camera, and having each LED individually controlled, I suspect the X can do the same with a software upgrade.

It's all about not going through one way doors. Engineer to give you the most flexibility, and control via software. Ship now, release later.

The real issue is to save weight and copper. It also makes for a simp!er architecture. Think about it this way. To power the exterior lights through a switch on the steering column you would have to have large enough wire and a heavy duty switch to handle the current load. Why not just add a relay you say....well manufactures did that for a while but still was a mechanical circuit. Now you use a resistor pack instead of a switch, that allows less and smaller wires, the light control module can use micro relays or solid state switches and the circuit can be monitored for faults to inform the BCM and ultimately the driver that a specific light, or circuit has a fault. Wipers, power seats, windows, hvac, entertainment, powertrain control,ect are all like or going to this. I see your point and do not argue, just am trying to show that is the was the industry is producing vehicles now.
PS. European cars have a requirement / feature for marker / park lights that allow for the driver or passenger side to be illuminated separately while stopped. (Have not seen it recently but was the case on some grey market cars I have worked on).

Still images. Easy to photoshop out one headlight.

It baffles me why people are still saying this? It's so obviously not still images. Have you watched it all the way through? I guess the doors opening and closing are also still images? And when each headlight goes on and off you can see the cmos sensor ramp up and down from the lights. You wouldn't see that with still images.

the circuit can be monitored for faults to inform the BCM and ultimately the driver that a specific light, or circuit has a fault.
Recently, someone mentioned noticing that a headlight was not shown as on in the "toy car" display and on the lighting control screen on the 17." The driver noticed only one light reflecting back from the bumper of the car in front, and then confirmed after arriving that the light was in fact not functioning. This helps to explain how the computer was able to know that one light was out... and that perhaps the S can do a simpler light show.

There may be other reasons for independent control of each light... I know the DRLs dim when you use your blinker the MS; I can see this as a useful feature for the headlights as well... the turn signal can be difficult to see behind the glare of the headlight and foglight.

I think the X-Mas Card and this thread is great.

Maybe next year the engineers will do a view form the rear of the car, or have alternating front and rear parked cars in some sort of line/row.
Adding some of the features mentioned above: air suspension height, rear gate motion, headlight swivel, side mirrors, spoilers deploying, reverse lights, CHMSL lights, etc.
I don't know all the logistics, but having the rear falcon wings and the rear trunk hatch operating in unison would be awesome.
And maybe taking a step (rolling) forward and backward in unison (hope that doesn't make it into the Easter Egg tho) or include a group self-parking or retrieval from parking exhibition?