Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mesh grille

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there has been someone who has developed a mesh grille for the Model S, I know this has been discussed before but think that if it is done correctly would look great. A chrome mesh that has large has larger spacing than a small mesh configuration that I have seen in some pictures.

Does anyone know if there has been someone who has developed a mesh grille for the Model S, I know this has been discussed before but think that if it is done correctly would look great. A chrome mesh that has large has larger spacing than a small mesh configuration that I have seen in some pictures.
Do you mean in place of the nose cone? If so, count me out. I LIKE the distinctive look of the cone and a mesh would be so much more difficult to keep clean.

Interesting. Everyone has their own tastes, but I am really enamored when the design/style and the utility of a component really marry up perfectly. For example, on so many of the Pininfarina styled Ferraris, the beautiful bodywork always has some sort of function, such as aerodynamics or air intake scoops, etc. I hated seeing the Ferrari 355 which has a completely useless front grill "just for show" because we are used to having front grills on cars. Likewise on the Model S, while the front nosecone is far from my favorite styling point on the car, I can't think of something better -- putting some sort of air intake looking grill just would make me cringe (unless it provided some sort of utility).

But then that's just me. I like the look of the mesh grill in the thread above, but the non-utility of it would make me cringe if it were on my car.

Last edited:

If you mean a grille for the nose cone, if it's an open grille it would totally mess up the aerodynamics and you'd see what's behind it, which not pretty. There already is a grille under the nose cone and it serves a real cooling purpose. A mesh grille for the nose cone is of no practical value. If you want it for aesthetics it would have to be phony.