TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Message: Drive Button Problem Vehicle May Not Be Able to Enter Drive

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by finout, Jul 21, 2011.

1. finout

finout Member

Has anyone seen this? View attachment 2162 Sorry for the poor pic quality. It's been happening frequently on my 2.5. Rangers have looked at it and supposedly "fixed" something but it keeps coming back.

2. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

Sometimes; I can induce it by holding the button down for too long.

3. scott451

scott451 KWH-PWR#1349Sprt,S Sig#96

What is the error number?

4. deenko

deenko Member

This normally means that the button is not working properly or the gear selector board is going bad. Most likely the button has failed. The message is the same if the button is held down for too long since the car thinks that the button has been stuck in the down position.

5. S-2000 Roadster

I'm not sure whether I got that exact message, but I do sometimes have trouble getting out of park. It's all about the timing between inserting the key and changing gears.

I have found that once the car gets confused about leaving Park for Drive, it simply will not work. I have to physically remove the key and start over. Now that I've experienced this a few times and tried everything I could think of with the brake pedal and emergency brake, I've decided that it's fastest to just remove the key and try again from the beginning.

I realize that this does not bode well for a firmware fix, because my behavior works around the flaw and thus I won't be able to reproduce it for Tesla engineers to see. In some respects, I suppose I should try to write a script for how to reproduce this confusion in the Roadster 2.5 and then hand over my notes to Tesla. I'm sure they could fix what I'm seeing if they tried.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

The car just boots up way too slow.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree. Especially the reverse camera.

8. S-2000 Roadster

#8 S-2000 Roadster, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
    ... a fair complaint, but this particular behavior is entirely out of Tesla Motors' control. The Alpine head unit has a direct wire to the reverse signal, a direct connection to the camera, and its own power supply and presumably ignition input. The speed of the display is entirely Alpine's design (flaw).

The best Tesla Motors could possibly do is search for another double-DIN unit with remote video input and automatic reverse camera switching that is faster - but you could do that yourself (if you car is in warranty, you might not want to alter the radio, but otherwise you're free to install anything that competes with the Alpine system and does a better job).

9. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Good point. The car is slow to boot up as was mentioned. You do have to wait a few seconds before making your gear selection otherwise you get the error messages mentioned.

10. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I used to constantly get the "reverse button failure warning" when backing out of my garage. The latest firmware made that problem go away. When I would get the error, the car would actually be in reverse and everything worked fine... I'd just get the warning message. So do you have the latest firmware?

11. strider

strider Active Member

How about just turning on the key before putting on your seatbelt, drop the e-brake, and then engage D or R? Give the car and radio time to boot up. That's my routine and I've never seen the message you describe.

12. SByer

SByer '08 #383

+1

It sort of ruins the whole Pole Position soundtrack of booting up, but by the time I've buckled up, the car is ready.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

1.5's save the D or R button push step.