Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Message indicating reduced regenerative braking in effect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the last few days, my 2019 Model 3 Dual Motor AWD has been intermittently displaying a message indicating reduced regenerative braking. It is set to "Standard" and I was quite certain that I could not feel a difference, and eventually the message would disappear. I am aware that this is normal if the battery is at a higher level of charge, but that was not the case and I could not explain the anomaly.

Yesterday, with approximately a 70% charge aboard, it came on and did not go away. Again I could not feel a difference as I drove. I pulled over, engaged Park, and toggled the setting back and forth between the Low and Standard settings. The message went away, and did not return as I drove home.

I plugged into my level two charger in my garage and topped up the battery to my usual setting of 80%.

This morning, the message did not appear when I unplugged and went for a short (2-3 km) drive around my neighborhood, and the message did not return.

Can anyone please comment and/or suggest what, if any, steps I should take, and if the message is likely to return?

Thank you in advance for any input or assistance.

Murray C.

Move to south Florida and you will never see it.;)

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.35.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 6.37.04 PM.png

Last edited:
It's called "winter" and it gets MUCH worse. (Wait until your battery is cold-soaked and it's -15°F outside.) Nothing wrong with your car. That's just how EV's work.

Schedule charging so your battery is warm when you leave for work in the morning and then you'll see less difference in the morning and when you go home it should be warmer outside.

My thanks to JulienW, KenC,towndrunk, and all the others who took the time to read my thread.

One more request if I may - has anyone else dealing with the same situation had success as I did with toggling back and forth from Strong to Low and back to Strong (once only)?

I might also add that before I tried the toggling, the message had been on for perhaps a half hour while I drove (presumably giving the battery ample time to warm up), and showed no sign of going away.

Thanks again.
Murray C.

I dont think toggling the regen setting has any effect on whether you have reduced regen or not. The battery takes longer to warm up than people think. Where I live in southern california (no snow, fairly moderate temperatures even during winter), I park in a drywalled garage that never goes below 50 degrees in the winter. Every morning I see regen dots, and it can take 20-30 minutes of driving at 80 MPH (not kph) to have all the regen dots go away.

Thanks jj - very helpful! It seldom snows here in Southern British Columbia (especially in balmy Victoria on Vancouver Island), but the temperature over the last few weeks has been dipping abnormally. My first EV was an i3, and although I was aware that having a full charge on board affected the regen braking I was not aware that the cold (and heat) were also factors i.e. no indication was provided. Ignorance is bliss!

Cheers
Murray C.