Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Messed around by Octopus for 3 years - advice welcome

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fraank

Jul 21, 2019
UK
I signed up with Octopus Go in September 2019, and 20+ attempts later, via email, phone and the online booking form, have still not had a smart meter installed.

Due to the extremely disappointing customer service, Octopus agreed in Nov 2020 to refund me the difference between Octopus Go 5p KwH, and the rate I was paying - for all my home charging (I have had TeslaFi the entire time so it's easy to show).

They agreed to wait until the smart meter was installed so we had an up to date figure for what I was owed. And of course, guess what - the Smart Meter has still not been installed despite me contacting them multiple times to chase, and having a period where installs stopped during Covid lockdown, and then resuming my chasing (of which they conveniently don't have a record of).

The process has taken so long that we've actually now moved house, and therefore I've been chasing them (for 3 months!) to resolve my billing.

They have finally sent their reply, and have reneged on their previous promise to pay me back the difference I am owed. They are now calling this a "gesture of goodwill", despite the fact that all of the money I am owed would firmly be in my pocket already had they actually installed a Smart Meter when I took the service out in Sept 2019.

I'm fairly low mileage (1k a month) and use Teslafi for scheduled charging, so there is zero reason why they would have been entitled to higher rate KwH from me if they had delivered on the service that was advertised to me. This is not a gesture of goodwill, and it's certainly not compensation for the huge amount of time and effort I've wasted.

Not only have they back tracked on what I have been promised (now offering to honour 5p KwH until Nov 2020, but not for Nov 2020 to May 2022, they've been happy to leave me tied into a rate that of course I would have abandoned long ago for a competitor offering - had they at any point indicated they would not be honouring their promise to refund me the money I am owed.

Does anyone have experience in escalating their complaint to a satisfactory resolution?

This worries me also. I’ve been waiting 3 months for a smart meter. They keep telling me there are none available but I just got one installed on another property a couple of streets away under a different energy provider. I’ll be jumping ship from them if they don’t sort it soon.

There's something fishy going on with Smart meters at the moment, I think.
My gas is with EDF (got moved to them when my previous supplier went bust). They were offering to install a Gas Smart meter, but now their website says "We'll let you know as soon as the energy industry has managed to improve the network, and it's possible to install your smart meter."

So there seems to be some sort of industry-wide network shenanigans going on. Not sure it has any relevance to your particular case, mind you, but the whole smart meter thing just seems to be a gigantic sh**show. My electricity one has dropped off the network and stopped sending readings so I need it to be rebooted by an engineer. It all seems a bit nuts.

Reactions: Toblerone
I mean, its extremely crappy what they have done to you, BUT, i'm honestly not sure you have much of a leg to stand on.

When you sign up for Octopus Go, it states that you will be billed on whatever the other rate is, until such time that your smart meter is installed. Also, even if you have a smart meter but they can't receive the 30 minute readings, then your getting billed at the other rate.

Also as I believe ALL their tariffs have no exit fees? You "could" have left at any point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm only playing Devils Advocate and I would be just as angry, if not more so, if I had been in your position. But I just don't see how you can get them to do anything about it unfortunately.

Reactions: ACarneiro
  • Informative
This I strange - I applied for a smart meter last week and they gave me this Thursday as an appointment. 7 working days approx. Supplier is Bulb. I hope they aren't bringing some out of date old thing!!

Believe me "some out of date old thing" may turn out to be the best solution! I had a second hand SMETS1 meter installed (through Octopus) due to unavailable communications infrastructure for SMETS2 in our area. It's been flawless in sending readings since 2019 ... unlike reports from many people on this forum who have SMETS2 meters that fail to send readings from time to time.

Reactions: munkypuzel
I recently complained to Ombudsman Services about Octopus. My smart meter stopped working so on Go they then charge you at the standard variable rate. They ignored the fact it was broken for three months despite me calling them weekly and promises they would look into it.

My complaint got upheld and I was awarded a sum of money as compensation and a letter of apology.

Reactions: Toblerone
I recently complained to Ombudsman Services about Octopus. My smart meter stopped working so on Go they then charge you at the standard variable rate. They ignored the fact it was broken for three months despite me calling them weekly and promises they would look into it.

My complaint got upheld and I was awarded a sum of money as compensation and a letter of apology.
Interesting to know, thanks for that. An option if I don't get anywhere now.

Thanks, wil do.

Is there any reason why couldn't they install a smart meter at your previous property other than just sending someone to do it.

I wouldn't get hung up on the name of the credit.
Constantly no availability, for a period they suddenly told me I couldn't have a smart meter, I won that battle - but then same again - no availability.

I mean, its extremely crappy what they have done to you, BUT, i'm honestly not sure you have much of a leg to stand on.

When you sign up for Octopus Go, it states that you will be billed on whatever the other rate is, until such time that your smart meter is installed. Also, even if you have a smart meter but they can't receive the 30 minute readings, then your getting billed at the other rate.

Also as I believe ALL their tariffs have no exit fees? You "could" have left at any point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm only playing Devils Advocate and I would be just as angry, if not more so, if I had been in your position. But I just don't see how you can get them to do anything about it unfortunately.
I understand the terms, but they put in writing to me that they would honour the difference. It's a huge bug bear of mine, a supplier willing to lose a customer (probably for life) over money which they were never supposed to have! I didn't leave them as I took them at their word that they would make things right eventually.

My electricity one has dropped off the network and stopped sending readings so I need it to be rebooted by an engineer. It all seems a bit nuts.
Yes quite common, took Octopus 3 months to reboot mine.
I understand the terms, but they put in writing to me that they would honour the difference. It's a huge bug bear of mine, a supplier willing to lose a customer (probably for life) over money which they were never supposed to have! I didn't leave them as I took them at their word that they would make things right eventually.
I suggest not bother with the Gregg email, file your ombudsman today, they are the only ones that will get anywhere with Octopus exception being court action. Calculate how much you are owed and put it in your complaint, it will take weeks to resolve so better you do it now.

• Informative