Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met the X - Whats next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the pleasure of driving an X at the Greenwich, CT "Meet the X" event this past weekend. What an amazing vehicle and a level of refinement above the S in my opinion. They had an army of associates and 5 Model X's available for driving and crawling around to help those of us who haven't confirmed our order as of yet. I came away from my Model X drive with many smiles and a few realizations that seem to mirror others in the forum and a few that may not.

1) The 6 vs 7 seat Rear view visibility isn't that big of a deal. I've driven cars with less visability than a 7 seat Model X and didn't see that as a huge problem

2) The 7 seat config makes the 3rd row passengers very confined. My wife sat in the 3rd row and was joined by another 5' 3 female and they both said the 7 seat config made them feel extremely claustrophobic. In the 6 seat config we hopped into next they both said they could ride for hours back there with no problem. I thought well we can fix that- just move the kids and their car seats to the 3rd row for long trips. Low and behold the kids aren't tall enough to see past the 2nd row which wouldn't last long on a long road trip.

3) The 2nd row for taller people (6'2 180lbs) found shoulders leaning against the falcon wing doors during driving. It wasn't uncomfortable but both passengers noted how close they felt to the Falcon doors and one was actually rubbing against them. Not a big deal but worth noting nonetheless.

4) I asked the associate BEFORE driving if there was any way to simulate a 90D version and shockingly he said - OH sure no problem. A few clicks on the touchscreen later and he could simulate any model I wanted from 60 Rear drive to P90DL. He threw it in 85D mode and away we went. First thing I noticed - Geez this he very little get up and go from a stop. Mind you I'm used to a mid 4's 0-60 car if you give it a good hard clutch drop so this felt like it was probably in the low 5's with 4 people in it. Accelerating from 30 or 40mph wasn't bad but not inspiring like say a 85D or 90D sedan. After driving in 85D mode I asked him to give me the beast and let me tell you the first thought that came to mind was "This is just wrong". No nearly 3 ton vehicle (with 4 passengers) should be able to accelerate like this from anywhere in the 0-75mph band.

5) The 3rd row seat folding is clunky at best. Bonnie previously posted screen shots where cargo mode might happen on its own with a press of a button. Putting them down is easy - getting them back up is much harder than it should be. I would be using the car to carry cargo most of the time and 2 kids in the 2nd row so its really no issue for me but worth sharing for those who have a different situation.

6) Front motor whine is noticeably absent from the Model X compared to the Model S. I've seen posts about it and noticed the whine from the Dual motor cars in previous test drives. I drove both cars this weekend so it was even a back to back comparison. See next point

7) There wasn't enough time in the X to enable Autopilot since they were tight on time so the Associate said - Hey lets take my 90D sedan out and I'll show you the new 7.1 features. First thing I noticed - the 90D sedan is MUCH faster than the simulated 85D model X. I have no reason to believe they are simulating incorrectly but the thought crossed my mind for a second or two. The 90D does 0-60 in 4.2 probably 4.4 with 4 people in car and was noticeably more responsive then the X i'm sure due to vehicle weight. If I were looking for an S I would be very tempted to go 90D and save the 30k despite my love for fast cars! In the X I feel like I wouldn't be happy without at least the Performance powertrain.

8) White Seats in Model X - I've seen a few posts about this but 2 of the X's had the white seats and BOTH had tears in them. Associates say they are loading up the X's with signs etc but I noted that the Tan and Black interiors didn't have the rips. I would be afraid of a White seats durability after forum posts and seeing two cars that had less than 1k miles on them with damage.

Summary - The Model X is beautiful and has so much going for it. The new center console is great, the door pockets are a welcome addition, Falcon doors work great in my testing, and the 6 seat version makes the 3rd row far more usable. Tesla has done a great job on the vehicle and I think they are going to sell a bunch of them. I am stuck with the proposition of waiting for a used Performance model for a couple years and picking up a Model S CPO in the meantime or waiting for a real 90D production version of the X to be available to test drive in hopes that the simulated 85D was underpowered.

I was really hoping the test drive would make this so much easier and in fact its made it harder!

4) I asked the associate BEFORE driving if there was any way to simulate a 90D version and shockingly he said - OH sure no problem. A few clicks on the touchscreen later and he could simulate any model I wanted from 60 Rear drive to P90DL. He threw it in 85D mode and away we went. First thing I noticed - Geez this he very little get up and go from a stop. Mind you I'm used to a mid 4's 0-60 car if you give it a good hard clutch drop so this felt like it was probably in the low 5's with 4 people in it. Accelerating from 30 or 40mph wasn't bad but not inspiring like say a 85D or 90D sedan. After driving in 85D mode I asked him to give me the beast and let me tell you the first thought that came to mind was "This is just wrong". No nearly 3 ton vehicle (with 4 passengers) should be able to accelerate like this from anywhere in the 0-75mph band.

This makes sense, the quoted figure for the 90D are a 0-100 KPH (60 MPH) is 5 seconds so in 85D mode with 4 passengers will probably be a bit slower. Something else to consider is that you are a fair bit higher up and a bit more upright than in the S, being further from the road detaches you from the sensation of speed a little. Also the X is a heavier vehicle meaning that the suspension may be a lot more damped than a comparable S, again this would likely lead to a lower sensation of speed.

I guess it depends on your priorities as to what you want and need from the vehicle but it is good to get a comparison from one of the few that have had a chance to drive both back to back. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your findings.

I had the pleasure of driving an X at the Greenwich, CT "Meet the X" event this past weekend. What an amazing vehicle and a level of refinement above the S in my opinion. They had an army of associates and 5 Model X's available for driving and crawling around to help those of us who haven't confirmed our order as of yet. I came away from my Model X drive with many smiles and a few realizations that seem to mirror others in the forum and a few that may not.

1) The 6 vs 7 seat Rear view visibility isn't that big of a deal. I've driven cars with less visability than a 7 seat Model X and didn't see that as a huge problem

2) The 7 seat config makes the 3rd row passengers very confined. My wife sat in the 3rd row and was joined by another 5' 3 female and they both said the 7 seat config made them feel extremely claustrophobic. In the 6 seat config we hopped into next they both said they could ride for hours back there with no problem. I thought well we can fix that- just move the kids and their car seats to the 3rd row for long trips. Low and behold the kids aren't tall enough to see past the 2nd row which wouldn't last long on a long road trip.

3) The 2nd row for taller people (6'2 180lbs) found shoulders leaning against the falcon wing doors during driving. It wasn't uncomfortable but both passengers noted how close they felt to the Falcon doors and one was actually rubbing against them. Not a big deal but worth noting nonetheless.

5) The 3rd row seat folding is clunky at best. Bonnie previously posted screen shots where cargo mode might happen on its own with a press of a button. Putting them down is easy - getting them back up is much harder than it should be. I would be using the car to carry cargo most of the time and 2 kids in the 2nd row so its really no issue for me but worth sharing for those who have a different situation.

6) Front motor whine is noticeably absent from the Model X compared to the Model S. I've seen posts about it and noticed the whine from the Dual motor cars in previous test drives. I drove both cars this weekend so it was even a back to back comparison. See next point

7) There wasn't enough time in the X to enable Autopilot since they were tight on time so the Associate said - Hey lets take my 90D sedan out and I'll show you the new 7.1 features. First thing I noticed - the 90D sedan is MUCH faster than the simulated 85D model X. I have no reason to believe they are simulating incorrectly but the thought crossed my mind for a second or two. The 90D does 0-60 in 4.2 probably 4.4 with 4 people in car and was noticeably more responsive then the X i'm sure due to vehicle weight. If I were looking for an S I would be very tempted to go 90D and save the 30k despite my love for fast cars! In the X I feel like I wouldn't be happy without at least the Performance powertrain.

8) White Seats in Model X - I've seen a few posts about this but 2 of the X's had the white seats and BOTH had tears in them. Associates say they are loading up the X's with signs etc but I noted that the Tan and Black interiors didn't have the rips. I would be afraid of a White seats durability after forum posts and seeing two cars that had less than 1k miles on them with damage.

Summary - The Model X is beautiful and has so much going for it. The new center console is great, the door pockets are a welcome addition, Falcon doors work great in my testing, and the 6 seat version makes the 3rd row far more usable. Tesla has done a great job on the vehicle and I think they are going to sell a bunch of them. I am stuck with the proposition of waiting for a used Performance model for a couple years and picking up a Model S CPO in the meantime or waiting for a real 90D production version of the X to be available to test drive in hopes that the simulated 85D was underpowered.

I was really hoping the test drive would make this so much easier and in fact its made it harder!

Hi--great report. May have to change my white to tan.

btw: I highlighted your comment re: center console. I may have missed it but I thought the center console was only in a select few original cars with nothing ready yet for the production 6 seater. Check that, assuming you are talking about front row, correct?

Hi--great report. May have to change my white to tan.

btw: I highlighted your comment re: center console. I may have missed it but I thought the center console was only in a select few original cars with nothing ready yet for the production 6 seater. Check that, assuming you are talking about front row, correct?
I think he meant the front console.

My wife and I also drove the X in CT this weekend. We took the P90DL out (although we are in the market for a non-P, it's what was available). As an S85D owner, the acceleration of the X was less than impressive, even in Ludicrous mode. To be fair though, 4.x seconds 0-60 is insane for an SUV, I've just gotten used to it in my S. If I hadn't been driving an S for the last 9 months, I'm pretty sure I would have been blown away by the performance.

I sat in the third row of the 7-seater, it was super-claustrophobic. The 6 seater was much, much better.

My wife and I also drove the X in CT this weekend. We took the P90DL out (although we are in the market for a non-P, it's what was available). As an S85D owner, the acceleration of the X was less than impressive, even in Ludicrous mode. To be fair though, 4.x seconds 0-60 is insane for an SUV, I've just gotten used to it in my S. If I hadn't been driving an S for the last 9 months, I'm pretty sure I would have been blown away by the performance.

I sat in the third row of the 7-seater, it was super-claustrophobic. The 6 seater was much, much better.

We were there on Friday and I have to say I felt the opposite about the Ludicrous mode. The X in P90DL form is faster than a P85D/P90D Insane mode sedan by a long shot when you punched it from 30+mph. Power was available on demand and felt very strong even though the X I was in was around 70-75% SOC. It was unfortunate that the non performance mode felt so sluggish. If the X felt on par or close to a 90D sedan I would have confirmed my order on the spot. Its just a tough nut to go 30k for purely straight line performance and no additional perks (besides the active spoiler).

Did you guys end up ordering?

- - - Updated - - -

I think he meant the front console.

Yes I did mean front console. Also who on earth thought having a dock for the phone that requires no case on it was a good use of space?

Just to avoid double-reporting, I believe these are the same vehicles traveling the country, right? So the previous reports of rips in Meet the X events are the same seats/rips as these ones - correct me if I'm mistaken.

That said, I do realize that two other TMCers (Marcus Adolfsson and AnOutsider) have reported damage to the white seats on their delivered vehicles. So the total is 4 UW ripped reported on this forum.

The white material was very soft (in a good way), but did seem more delicate than the leather. If i didn't have kids I'd be all over the white seats. I didn't notice any damage, but i wasn't looking either.

Edit: Also, perforated seats + kids just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I can just see them spilling milk in there...

Just to avoid double-reporting, I believe these are the same vehicles traveling the country, right? So the previous reports of rips in Meet the X events are the same seats/rips as these ones - correct me if I'm mistaken.

That said, I do realize that two other TMCers (Marcus Adolfsson and AnOutsider) have reported damage to the white seats on their delivered vehicles. So the total is 4 UW ripped reported on this forum.

Yea I believe so, but the weird thing is that the rips always seem to occur at the same places. It may be as simple as doubling the thickness of the pleather at those key points.

We were there on Friday and I have to say I felt the opposite about the Ludicrous mode. The X in P90DL form is faster than a P85D/P90D Insane mode sedan by a long shot when you punched it from 30+mph. Power was available on demand and felt very strong even though the X I was in was around 70-75% SOC. It was unfortunate that the non performance mode felt so sluggish. If the X felt on par or close to a 90D sedan I would have confirmed my order on the spot. Its just a tough nut to go 30k for purely straight line performance and no additional perks (besides the active spoiler).
This is what drove me out of the P too. But honestly my existing SUV is only 260 hp so I doubt I will notice. :smile:

Any reason they did not simulate at 90D vs a 85D? Not that it would make a huge difference I would think.

This is what drove me out of the P too. But honestly my existing SUV is only 260 hp so I doubt I will notice. :smile:

For me it was also the slight range loss for the performance gain. There are mumblings on this forum that the 90D range is potentially underreported as well (to keep it from cannibalizing P90D orders), but that's a bit more conspiratorial than I care to be. Either way, a few extra miles, a lot less money.. makes sense for me.

Just to avoid double-reporting, I believe these are the same vehicles traveling the country, right? So the previous reports of rips in Meet the X events are the same seats/rips as these ones - correct me if I'm mistaken...
The vehicles I saw on February 14th were going to Costa Mesa the following day. San Diego and Arizona were planned after that. Since the vehicles are shown for several days, I would assume that the vehicles in CT were a different set.

This Tesla Motors web page shows multiple "Meet Model X" events: Meet Model X | Tesla Motors

Examining the list, it appears there are a minimum of three groups of vehicles. The list doesn't show previous locations or all the locations mentioned to me. This list most likely will change again after today's post date.

The vehicles I saw on February 14th were going to Costa Mesa the following day. San Diego and Arizona were planned after that. Since the vehicles are shown for several days, I would assume that the vehicles in CT were a different set.

VINs 445 and 449 were at the Miramar/San Diego event. They only had two of the three Xs on public display as their delivery room was not large enough for all three.

Went to the San Diego event and was super impressed by the Model X, the staffing, the facility and the graciousness of the hosts.

They had several model X's available for drives and to check out. People had lots of time to check out the features of the car, and were allowed to climb all over them and examine the different seating configurations and color combinations.

Inside they had a Model X and Model S, side by side, so comparisons could be made. Each vehicle was attended to by a very knowledgable Tesla employee. They patiently answered every question, and were more than willing to demonstrate all the features of the new car.

They even had a table filled with great quality pastries, fruits and beverages.

Nobody felt rushed, and the event resulted in potential customers to feel much more comfortable with their ordering decisions.

This model X is a pretty remarkable vehicle. Much easier to get in and out of than the S, and much more spacious as well. It was amazing how much better the 2nd row seat passengers could see out of the car due to the wrap over windshield. Felt much more natural than a typical sunroof.

Biggest complaint I heard was people anxious to know when they might be getting delivery. Staff indicated that manufacturing was being very attentive to initial quality for these first cars. Were more worried about shipping something not of the highest standard than putting them out quickly, before quality could be obtained.

Was nice to be able to speak to so many others interested in finalizing their orders. Everyone I spoke to seemed to have a different reason for purchasing their Model X.