Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Met the X" yesterday...meh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@djbakasan - logical and concise post fellah. Respect.

I think what we see on the forum is a lot of naturally human cognitive biases. For instance:

2. Post-purchase rationalisation

After we buy something that’s not right, we convince ourselves it is right. Most people refuse to accept they’ve made a mistake, especially with a big purchase. Marketers know this, so they try to encourage part-ownership first, using things like money-back guarantees. Once you’ve made a decision, you convince yourself it was the right one.

Why We Buy: How to Avoid 10 Costly Cognitive Biases - PsyBlog

Many people (me included) have paid up a deposit, or perhaps even own some shares, and this in itself is enough to cloud our judgement.

But I have myself turned from being a believer into a non-believer - and then everything you subsequently read you suddenly see as black and white in the for or against camp.

Flop or not? No way will we know for minimum 12 months+ because of the reservations backlog and production delays. Only when the car become freely available on the market will we see if people purchase it willingly. But personally I don't see it as a slamdunk winner over the next 5 years due to pricing, future competition and concerns over the doors.

how come you didn't get to drive it? is it not the meet the model x event?
In many of the stores, there are/were two "Meet Model X" events: the test drive event which is scheduled in 15 minute blocks during the day (from 2 to 5 days at each location, I believe), and a cocktail party event one evening where you could get into the cars, play around with them a bit, but not drive them. I went to the cocktail party in Manhattan and the test drive in Syosset. I'm assuming Paramus probably had both types of events. The test drive event is giving preference to those who have have reserved but not confirmed yet, but if you contact your DS or Inside Sales, you can probably get a Model X test drive, even with a confirmed reservation (I did).

I cancelled my reservation today. Had the ability to drive the car in Portland last month for about 10-12 minutes. I'm not willing to buy a $120k vehicle without more time to drive it, and I'm not thrilled with the lack of communication from the company. The X is still on the list of vehicles to consider, but I'm not willing to commit now.

If the threads like this continue, I will be able get my X70D sooner. I suggest we continue to bash Model X to prevent the P90D and 90D orders to be confirmed.

Sorry, I have been reading too many of these lately.

Onur

Yes let the more deserving customers to get their cars first. Not everyone needs to or should own one.

X could have been the same style as the 5 seater Lexus RX 350, and it would have been cheaper and massive hit. That kind of design is simple, a ton of flat cargo space. Essentially same as 'S' with a much higher seating and great view.

Model Y perhaps but the Model X is a much higher end car than the RX. Even the Medel Y I think would be a better car than the RX. Anything from Toyota/Lexus is just boring. Even a Honda is a lot better.

Last edited:
Not Tesla or Model X specific:

If you are not getting warm fuzzies about features or quality of an initial year release, just wait.

Nearly all cars make changes after the initial year release. Some of it is features that were not completed in time, others are system problems with manufacturing.

Some cars make big changes, others make small changes, but very few make no changes.

My concern was actually the opposite... Over 3 1/2 years ago I took delivery of a Model S Signature car. How awesome is that car!! I was worried that when Model X did arrive that I would find it "meh".

Instead, I was wowed and amazed far more than I'd imagine. My 4 boys absolutely love the extra space they have facing forward rather than backwards. Everything is richer and built much better than the early Model S days.

Would I love an electric Suburban? Hell yes... but that's not coming for a while.

All the back and forth reaffirms my belief really. There is no one single car that is going to tick all the boxes. It just isn't feasible. There's tons of things about a car that makes them mutually exclusive for whether it works for you or not. Seating. Cargo. ICE vs electric. Range/milage. And that's all before we even get to subjective things like looks. It's totally OK for the X to not be the right car for everyone or that there's folks who are disappointed. To get the car to market, Tesla made some decisions that are going to draw some in and deter others. Playing armchair CEO and shuffling the choices is just going to mean that you change up who gets pulled in and who gets alienated.

I still think it's crazy this early on to be tossing notions of "flop" or any other such doomsday prophecies, which I get, isn't what many are saying here. In fact, of all the press stories I've read of the "Meet the X" events, they've all been largely glowing of the ones I've read. The sky is falling camp seems largely contained to the various Tesla forums and is, I theorize, our own doing via our neurotic slash compulsiveness about talking about the car for years waiting in anticipation and being largely met with silence. If there's anywhere I'll fault Tesla and give them abysmal scores on, it's not their design or decision making around the X, it's been around their communication and control of misinformation about the X.
Well said! It seems the Sky is Falling Camp is closely aligned with the League of Lowered Expectations.

Honestly, I was hoping for more out of Model X too. I don't have kids, so the big selling features that allow easy access to the rear seats (FWD, second row airplane seats, etc) are largely irrelevant for anything other than wow-factor. I thought Tesla would take this as an opportunity to fill the vehicle with their latest tech (new CPU/GPU, 4K center screen, more comprehensive camera suite, etc) but they just transferred most of that stuff verbatim from Model S. Seriously Tesla, a $100,000+ 7-seat SUV with no surround-view cameras?! And I would've killed to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they decided to pursue Bioweapon Defense Mode as a feature. Perhaps it was something they could fill their time with while other areas (FWD, seats, etc) were stalled?

I'd all but decided to cancel my reservation. The range wasn't what I'd hoped for (thought for sure Tesla would debut a >100kWh big battery with the X). There were no "gotta have it" features. The looks didn't blow me away. However, then I started shopping for alternatives...

What a depressing experience that was. Not only were all of the PHEV versions of popular SUVs still unavailable in Canada (Volvo XC90, Mitsubishi Outlander, BMW X5, etc) but the vehicles themselves were not the slightest bit appealing. Why would I pay 2/3 of the price of Model X for something that can't even get me to work and back on one charge! AND have to deal with an ICE cycling on and off the whole time. And those "drive modes"! Pure. Hold. Balance. BS!

No. Despite it's flaws, I realize Model X is really the only game in town for me now. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, Tesla, I know, but you still have my business.

Honestly, I was hoping for more out of Model X too. I don't have kids, so the big selling features that allow easy access to the rear seats (FWD, second row airplane seats, etc) are largely irrelevant for anything other than wow-factor. I thought Tesla would take this as an opportunity to fill the vehicle with their latest tech (new CPU/GPU, 4K center screen, more comprehensive camera suite, etc) but they just transferred most of that stuff verbatim from Model S. Seriously Tesla, a $100,000+ 7-seat SUV with no surround-view cameras?! And I would've killed to be a fly on the wall in the meeting where they decided to pursue Bioweapon Defense Mode as a feature. Perhaps it was something they could fill their time with while other areas (FWD, seats, etc) were stalled?

I'd all but decided to cancel my reservation. The range wasn't what I'd hoped for (thought for sure Tesla would debut a >100kWh big battery with the X). There were no "gotta have it" features. The looks didn't blow me away. However, then I started shopping for alternatives...

What a depressing experience that was. Not only were all of the PHEV versions of popular SUVs still unavailable in Canada (Volvo XC90, Mitsubishi Outlander, BMW X5, etc) but the vehicles themselves were not the slightest bit appealing. Why would I pay 2/3 of the price of Model X for something that can't even get me to work and back on one charge! AND have to deal with an ICE cycling on and off the whole time. And those "drive modes"! Pure. Hold. Balance. BS!

No. Despite it's flaws, I realize Model X is really the only game in town for me now. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, Tesla, I know, but you still have my business.

+1

Agreed! Maybe the car isn't perfect and it IS rather expensive, but it's when you go looking for alternatives you really get a reality check. Especially if you already drive a Model S and you kinda know how that feels as well. I had (still have) issues with second row seats not folding and the storage space (lack of). But there simply isn't anything else worth the time and money, no real competition. So Tesla, you have my business as well.

+1

Agreed! Maybe the car isn't perfect and it IS rather expensive, but it's when you go looking for alternatives you really get a reality check. Especially if you already drive a Model S and you kinda know how that feels as well. I had (still have) issues with second row seats not folding and the storage space (lack of). But there simply isn't anything else worth the time and money, no real competition. So Tesla, you have my business as well.

I do like what I think the X would be although I have not personally seen one yet. One thing I do know from owning an S and knowing how the car drives is anything other than from Tesla would not be an option.

Last edited:
I cancelled my reservation today. Had the ability to drive the car in Portland last month for about 10-12 minutes. I'm not willing to buy a $120k vehicle without more time to drive it, and I'm not thrilled with the lack of communication from the company. The X is still on the list of vehicles to consider, but I'm not willing to commit now.

Your signature on TMC will change i guess.

Yes let the more deserving customers to get their cars first. Not everyone needs to or should own one.

Model Y perhaps but the Model X is a much higher end car than the RX. Even the Medel Y I think would be a better car than the RX. Anything from Toyota/Lexus is just boring. Even a Honda is a lot better.

Thankfully the X looks nothing like the current RX 350. To me that is one truly ugly car. And my wife drives a 6 year old RX 350. What was Toyota thinking? I drove a pretty good SUV in the Highlander Hybrid for 7 years. I didn't need to replace it, but I was ready for something better. Now I drive the best SUV out there, and it most definitely isn't yet another ICE. I'm so tired of the endless TV car brand ads peddling the same old stuff as something so wonderful and new. Have yet to find anyone that isn't impressed with the X in person. Granted most can't afford this Tesla, but they are all very positive about it. and interested in future versions.

Thankfully the X looks nothing like the current RX 350. To me that is one truly ugly car. And my wife drives a 6 year old RX 350. What was Toyota thinking? I drove a pretty good SUV in the Highlander Hybrid for 7 years. I didn't need to replace it, but I was ready for something better. Now I drive the best SUV out there, and it most definitely isn't yet another ICE. I'm so tired of the endless TV car brand ads peddling the same old stuff as something so wonderful and new. Have yet to find anyone that isn't impressed with the X in person. Granted most can't afford this Tesla, but they are all very positive about it. and interested in future versions.

Yes, owning (or even simply being aware of Tesla) lets one really see through the BS of ICE automakers pushing something as "all-new" when it basically just has a new body kit and maybe a new UI for the stereo...

When it comes to cars, I've developed a bad case of "upgrade-itis." I upgraded my 2013 P85+ to a 2015 P85D. After the Model X event in September (which I watched online), I was so blown away by the FWDs, the auto-opening front doors, etc., that I was worried I would want to upgrade once again and become a two Model X household. But after seeing the exterior in person, I think one X for the wife will be enough. The model S looks much better in my opinion, and we don't need two SUVs. But, if you are shopping specifically for an SUV/CUV, there is nothing else available if you want either an EV, or instant throttle response/super car performance. All ICE vehicles feel slow to me, even a Porsche 911S. Driving an ICE SUV now is such an awful experience, it makes me want to jam something into my eye every time I step on the pedal.

When it comes to cars, I've developed a bad case of "upgrade-itis." I upgraded my 2013 P85+ to a 2015 P85D. After the Model X event in September (which I watched online), I was so blown away by the FWDs, the auto-opening front doors, etc., that I was worried I would want to upgrade once again and become a two Model X household. But after seeing the exterior in person, I think one X for the wife will be enough. The model S looks much better in my opinion, and we don't need two SUVs. But, if you are shopping specifically for an SUV/CUV, there is nothing else available if you want either an EV, or instant throttle response/super car performance. All ICE vehicles feel slow to me, even a Porsche 911S. Driving an ICE SUV now is such an awful experience, it makes me want to jam something into my eye every time I step on the pedal.

Lets not get carried away here. I love my wife's MS P85D. But, I also love my 911s. I got out of the MS and then had to drive the 911. The first minute feels strange in the transition. But then you realize why you still like the 911 so much. Cause it's awesome! No need to hate one in exchange for loving another. It's basically the common theme on this forum. Not sure why.

Lets not get carried away here. I love my wife's MS P85D. But, I also love my 911s. I got out of the MS and then had to drive the 911. The first minute feels strange in the transition. But then you realize why you still like the 911 so much. Cause it's awesome! No need to hate one in exchange for loving another. It's basically the common theme on this forum. Not sure why.

Could you elaborate which part of your 911s is attractive to you? I too am coming from Porsche and still own a 6 speed Cayman S. Everytime I step on the pedal my immediate reaction is I really wish it is a Tesla, even if a S60.

Could you elaborate which part of your 911s is attractive to you? I too am coming from Porsche and still own a 6 speed Cayman S. Everytime I step on the pedal my immediate reaction is I really wish it is a Tesla, even if a S60.

I have no issue with the sound of an engine. While the acceleration isn't instant, the handling and feel of the 911 is by far head and shoulders above the MS. Again, different cars. Different purposes. No issues enjoying both for different reasons. I'm not sure why that is such a crazy concept.

I have no issue with the sound of an engine. While the acceleration isn't instant, the handling and feel of the 911 is by far head and shoulders above the MS. Again, different cars. Different purposes. No issues enjoying both for different reasons. I'm not sure why that is such a crazy concept.
I used to race my 991 911S at the track. Incredible track car that is comfortable to drive on the street. One of the best sports cars ever made. But in city driving, you can't take advantage of the corning very often without putting others at risk (don't want to fly around a corner and find a child crossing the street). The lack of the Tesla throttle response in the 911S finally got to me and what was previously my prized possession found itself for sale. The next company that makes a world class sports car as an EV with 200+ mile range, autopilot, and a supercharging network (for under 150K) will get my money again.

Seems like the rolled up theme in this thread is that the X isn't the best SUV overall, has many kinks to workout still in quality/seating, and really isn't too much bigger than the S. The S seems like a viable alternative if you don't like the X now, has been through tons of refinement, and is a pretty big car that holds a lot. If you can leave with seating 4-5 most of the time comfortably, no brainer.