Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Met this 25 yr old who "invests"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I met this 25 yr old recent college graduate guy who wanted to buy my Nintendo Switch from Dave & Busters. My ad is pretty transparent about how I get the units so that way people know for sure they are getting a brand new bought in store unit, so that way I can keep the prices a little higher.

But what I thought was just going to be a normal sale, this guy wanted to talk about how he invests money. I was open to listening so I heard him out. He goes on talking really fast and saying all these investing jargons. Just some fast talker expects me to like understand what he's talking about, but then I have to be truthful and be like "I don't understand" and he like, I can tell you do not understand. Kinda like a mentor who insults you for not understanding. I tell him my parents are pretty well off and have bought me a house, and he goes like "man I wish I had your money and I could have so much passive income".

I assumed he knew what he was doing and knowledgeable, but didn't have the capital to truly make money. But then he becomes really weird and says the Nintendo Switch he bought from me, he doesn't have time to play it and he plans to try flip it. But the thing is, I priced my Nintendo Switch for the final users, not for others to resell it.

And this kid says something super bizarre like "I don't have time to play this Nintendo Switch, I'm going to try sell it for $280." I was like WTF, why did he buy my Nintendo Switch at $250 in attempts to flip it, when I'm the one doing the actual flip? Like trying to flip items of another flipper. I thought it was pretty stupid of him to buy my Nintendo Switch for that reason, I thought he was just going to play it and be thankful he saved $50-70 on a Nintendo Switch that came right out of a store, like all my other customers did.. I mean I don't really care though, I never promised this kid that he will make money trying to flip my Nintendo Switch, my only intention was to provide prospective Nintendo Switch buyers an opportunity to save $50 on something they didn't have to worry would have problems b/c its brand new.

Even if he flipped it, he only makes like $30. Risking $250 to make $20-30. I hope he plays it though, I don't think he realized people on Craigslist don't really care if your item is new, the only thing that motivates them to buy is to make them feel they saved a decent chunk of money, not just a few dollars. He goes like saying he will invest his sale back into stocks. But it makes no sense from an investors point of view, why are you going to forgo $250 you could invest in stocks, just to get $30 more, and that will likely not happen b/c people on Craigslist don't wanna save $20 on a $300 item.

Maybe if he's lucky, he will find an unexperienced Craigslist buyer who will simply show up to his door with $280 and think $20 is a good savings. But most people simply won't, I think most rational Craigslist buyers need to feel like they saved a half days or a whole days paycheck to go outta their way instead of to a store nearby their house.

I'm now really questioning his investing knowledge. He seemed he knew all the terminology. But I think it was stupid that he bought my item thinking he will get $20-30 profit. Even if he did sell it higher, it was a huge waste of time to do so, Craigslist buyers don't come knocking on your door with slight discounts. They only come like zombies if they feel they're winning the lottery, and it takes a while to find a rational buyer who is willing to pay the asking price without too much discounts. I feel alot of unrational Craigsilst buyers are waiting around for that one desperate person who will take anything and sell for super cheap, like lottery ticket additcts think they'll become rich one day.

Last edited: