TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Metal Key fob cover

Discussion in 'Model S' started by r0bgj, Aug 3, 2018.

1. r0bgj

r0bgj Member

Hi guys,

I've done some searching and found results on key fob covers but not the metal ones. I got one and it seems to block the signal almost completely. Most of the time it wont work. Has anyone found a way to make the metal key fob cover work or found a particular one that works 100% of the time?

2. Jhelin

Jhelin Member

A metal fob cover would always block most of the RF signal the key uses to function so there's no way to make it work.

3. pkodali

pkodali Member

We have them for our model X keys but we have never had a problem. They have a little cut out in the front where the RF emitter is

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

What’s the question? You want a fob cover that’s metal for appearance or a metal cover that does block the RF for security?

For appearance I use the silicon ones from Abstract Ocean (less slippery in your pocket) and for security at home a faraday bag from Amazon.

• Like x 1
  5. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

7. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Is it metal or looks like metal.
    Metal blocks the flow of RF, not even Elon can get by that law

8. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

It’s metal ..works fine

9. pkodali

pkodali Member

They have a hole in the front where the antenna is

10. r0bgj

r0bgj Member

11. r0bgj

r0bgj Member

i got this one from amazon. i got this one because its red and wanted it to match my car. i also liked that it has the cutouts for the windows. you'd think this allows more signal to reach the car but it sucks so much. i wonder whats different between the one you guys got and the one below. besides the window color and the cut out, they look the same.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778KQKTC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

12. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

They all probably come from the same Chinese manufacturer lol mine has windows cutout as well I don’t see difference in range between this and the silicon cases

13. whitex

whitex Active Member

Tesla touchup paint? ;) Get it in silver, paint with touchup paint matching your car.

• Informative x 1
  14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Exactly ....