Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal popping noises after control arm replacement

amplicity

Sep 17, 2019
New Jersey
2018 Model 3, LR dual motor.

I recently went to a SC to get a control arm replaced. Shortly after the replacement, a new noise emerged. When driving up a driveway (and first pulling onto a steeper grade), a metal 'pop' sound occurs under the front floorboards. The noise can be felt, but is somewhat quiet. It happens shortly after the front wheels touch the steeper grade of the driveway, fairly consistently.

I had a mobile tech come out and we reproduced together, but he wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. He recommended taking it into the SC (which is 1.5 hours away from me). I took it into the SC and was not able to reproduce the sound by them (I can consistently reproduce it in my own driveway). They checked safety features but wouldn't dive further unless they could reproduce it (which is a bit bullshit to me..they _did_ reproduce it at my house).

While they did check safety features on my last SC visit, the noise still happens, and no one was able to tell me that it _definitely_ was not a safety issue.

Has anyone else had this metal pop sound occur after getting one/many of their control arm(s) replaced? Any inkling as to what may be causing this?

Thank you!

amplicity

Sep 17, 2019
New Jersey
2018 Model 3, LR dual motor.

I recently went to a SC to get a control arm replaced. Shortly after the replacement, a new noise emerged. When driving up a driveway (and first pulling onto a steeper grade), a metal 'pop' sound occurs under the front floorboards. The noise can be felt, but is somewhat quiet. It happens shortly after the front wheels touch the steeper grade of the driveway, fairly consistently.

I had a mobile tech come out and we reproduced together, but he wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. He recommended taking it into the SC (which is 1.5 hours away from me). I took it into the SC and was not able to reproduce the sound by them (I can consistently reproduce it in my own driveway). They checked safety features but wouldn't dive further unless they could reproduce it (which is a bit bullshit to me..they _did_ reproduce it at my house).

While they did check safety features on my last SC visit, the noise still happens, and no one was able to tell me that it _definitely_ was not a safety issue.

Has anyone else had this metal pop sound occur after getting one/many of their control arm(s) replaced? Any inkling as to what may be causing this?

Thank you!

Also...any advice as to what I could say to my SC to make sure this issue gets fixed? I was a pre-order on the model 3. I got the car in October of 2018 -- it is a v1 and I'm very disgruntled at the effort I'm needing to put into getting this fixed.

XLR82XS

D M C
Jul 26, 2019
SWFL | Vegas
I have a similar noise after both upper arms replaced recently. Do you hear a popping when turning the steering wheel left/right at parking lot speeds? (Backing out of spot - pulling into spot)

Pied

Jul 14, 2018
Bay Area, CA
My guess would be that the bolts were torqued incorrectly. Something might be binding when you reach a certain amount of compression in the suspension

amplicity

Sep 17, 2019
New Jersey
I have a similar noise after both upper arms replaced recently. Do you hear a popping when turning the steering wheel left/right at parking lot speeds? (Backing out of spot - pulling into spot)

Yes, I do.

Do you feel the 'pop' from your feet as well, in the front floor of the driver/passenger seat?

MountainPass

Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I had a customer about 2 weeks ago who had their front upper control arm replaced under warranty. They emailed asking for help figuring out a clunking noise, kind of like you are describing. We discovered that his front lower control arm bushings were completely loose, Tesla missed it during his service. Thankfully the undertray tends to hold those bolts in place when they spin themselves out, but I would check that right away just in case.

CrewKize

Oct 2, 2015
Austin, Tx
i am that customer. Thanks again MPP. both the bolts on the lower control arm where loose, could spin with my fingers
I had a customer about 2 weeks ago who had their front upper control arm replaced under warranty. They emailed asking for help figuring out a clunking noise, kind of like you are describing. We discovered that his front lower control arm bushings were completely loose, Tesla missed it during his service. Thankfully the undertray tends to hold those bolts in place when they spin themselves out, but I would check that right away just in case.

Attachments

• C28906C0-84F0-4865-BBCC-40FFBE58339B.jpeg
    C28906C0-84F0-4865-BBCC-40FFBE58339B.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 30

amplicity

Sep 17, 2019
New Jersey
i am that customer. Thanks again MPP. both the bolts on the lower control arm where loose, could spin with my fingers

Thanks for that image, I believe Tesla checked my bushings but -- would I be able to check that myself and see if they're loose? From that image, it appears so?

Also -- what's the worst case scenario if bushings were to come loose, could the wheel fall off?

MountainPass

Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for that image, I believe Tesla checked my bushings but -- would I be able to check that myself and see if they're loose? From that image, it appears so?

Also -- what's the worst case scenario if bushings were to come loose, could the wheel fall off?

If they fell out while turning the wheel and suspension could fold under your car.

• Informative
Reactions: amplicity

amplicity

Sep 17, 2019
New Jersey

I checked out the image and couldn't find these bolts underneath my car. Do you need to remove one of those carbon boards to get access to the bolt, or can I find those bolts from the image underneath my car without removing anything?

Looked all over this morning but just couldn't find those bolts.

MountainPass

Vendor
Mar 2, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I checked out the image and couldn't find these bolts underneath my car. Do you need to remove one of those carbon boards to get access to the bolt, or can I find those bolts from the image underneath my car without removing anything?

Looked all over this morning but just couldn't find those bolts.

Here you go! Nothing needs to be removed to see them.

FLCAB.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC