Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal popping noises after control arm replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model 3, LR dual motor.

I recently went to a SC to get a control arm replaced. Shortly after the replacement, a new noise emerged. When driving up a driveway (and first pulling onto a steeper grade), a metal 'pop' sound occurs under the front floorboards. The noise can be felt, but is somewhat quiet. It happens shortly after the front wheels touch the steeper grade of the driveway, fairly consistently.

I had a mobile tech come out and we reproduced together, but he wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. He recommended taking it into the SC (which is 1.5 hours away from me). I took it into the SC and was not able to reproduce the sound by them (I can consistently reproduce it in my own driveway). They checked safety features but wouldn't dive further unless they could reproduce it (which is a bit bullshit to me..they _did_ reproduce it at my house).

While they did check safety features on my last SC visit, the noise still happens, and no one was able to tell me that it _definitely_ was not a safety issue.

Has anyone else had this metal pop sound occur after getting one/many of their control arm(s) replaced? Any inkling as to what may be causing this?

Thank you!

I recently went to a SC to get a control arm replaced. Shortly after the replacement, a new noise emerged. When driving up a driveway (and first pulling onto a steeper grade), a metal 'pop' sound occurs under the front floorboards. The noise can be felt, but is somewhat quiet. It happens shortly after the front wheels touch the steeper grade of the driveway, fairly consistently.

I had a mobile tech come out and we reproduced together, but he wasn't able to figure out what was wrong. He recommended taking it into the SC (which is 1.5 hours away from me). I took it into the SC and was not able to reproduce the sound by them (I can consistently reproduce it in my own driveway). They checked safety features but wouldn't dive further unless they could reproduce it (which is a bit bullshit to me..they _did_ reproduce it at my house).

While they did check safety features on my last SC visit, the noise still happens, and no one was able to tell me that it _definitely_ was not a safety issue.

Has anyone else had this metal pop sound occur after getting one/many of their control arm(s) replaced? Any inkling as to what may be causing this?

Thank you!

Also...any advice as to what I could say to my SC to make sure this issue gets fixed? I was a pre-order on the model 3. I got the car in October of 2018 -- it is a v1 and I'm very disgruntled at the effort I'm needing to put into getting this fixed.

I had a customer about 2 weeks ago who had their front upper control arm replaced under warranty. They emailed asking for help figuring out a clunking noise, kind of like you are describing. We discovered that his front lower control arm bushings were completely loose, Tesla missed it during his service. Thankfully the undertray tends to hold those bolts in place when they spin themselves out, but I would check that right away just in case.

i am that customer. Thanks again MPP. both the bolts on the lower control arm where loose, could spin with my fingers
I had a customer about 2 weeks ago who had their front upper control arm replaced under warranty. They emailed asking for help figuring out a clunking noise, kind of like you are describing. We discovered that his front lower control arm bushings were completely loose, Tesla missed it during his service. Thankfully the undertray tends to hold those bolts in place when they spin themselves out, but I would check that right away just in case.

Attachments

• C28906C0-84F0-4865-BBCC-40FFBE58339B.jpeg
    C28906C0-84F0-4865-BBCC-40FFBE58339B.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 599
i am that customer. Thanks again MPP. both the bolts on the lower control arm where loose, could spin with my fingers

Thanks for that image, I believe Tesla checked my bushings but -- would I be able to check that myself and see if they're loose? From that image, it appears so?

Also -- what's the worst case scenario if bushings were to come loose, could the wheel fall off?

Thanks for that image, I believe Tesla checked my bushings but -- would I be able to check that myself and see if they're loose? From that image, it appears so?

Also -- what's the worst case scenario if bushings were to come loose, could the wheel fall off?

If they fell out while turning the wheel and suspension could fold under your car.

• Informative
Reactions: amplicity

I checked out the image and couldn't find these bolts underneath my car. Do you need to remove one of those carbon boards to get access to the bolt, or can I find those bolts from the image underneath my car without removing anything?

Looked all over this morning but just couldn't find those bolts.

I checked out the image and couldn't find these bolts underneath my car. Do you need to remove one of those carbon boards to get access to the bolt, or can I find those bolts from the image underneath my car without removing anything?

Looked all over this morning but just couldn't find those bolts.

Here you go! Nothing needs to be removed to see them.

FLCAB.jpg

Thank you!
I have the same problem, I don't like the sound myself. I hear him walking down the street from my driveway, then it clicks. I can't hear it while driving. They recently changed my control arms.
How did you solve it? Did you find out what the knock was saying?

I woud take it to a suspension shop, not saying lay them to fix it,but pay them to diagnose the issue, and have them show you, diagnosis ought to be on the bill. then go to Tesla.
Obviously somethings wrong, the car is not supposed to pop

I was at the service station where they replaced my control arms, the conrol arms and the service technician saw nothing wrong with the chassis. He said that everything was fine, during the week I will go to the same service to check, I will see what the service technician will tell me. I can't prove it clicks. We were on a test drive and it was impossible to hear.
Today, it only clicks when I turn right from my driveway to the road when I cross the hump. When I run to the left and cross the hump, I can't hear it. Doesn't the suspension do it?

I was at the service station where they replaced my control arms, the conrol arms and the service technician saw nothing wrong with the chassis. He said that everything was fine, during the week I will go to the same service to check, I will see what the service technician will tell me. I can't prove it clicks. We were on a test drive and it was impossible to hear.
Today, it only clicks when I turn right from my driveway to the road when I cross the hump. When I run to the left and cross the hump, I can't hear it. Doesn't the suspension do it?

Tape/mount a gopro or a cellphone to your fender liner and drive over the hump or driveway again. Wouldn't recommend going for a drive with it in there, but you should be able to record it easily at slow speeds.