Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal roof reduces headspace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was up visiting a friend and he has a 2016 75D with the metal roof and I'd never been inside one (metal roof) and i happened to draw the short straw so i was in the backseat. I had to sit behind the driver and there was a serious lack of headroom in that thing. I had to slouch super low and hurt my back or crane my neck to the side at like a 45 degree angle to fit.

I've never had to sit in the back of my car but I'd been back there to clean and do maintenance and never noticed a problem, so i thought maybe mine was the same way and i just never noticed it but i was pretty damn sure i had plenty of headroom. So as soon as i flew home i climbed in the backseat of mine and sat behind the driver seat and well damn if i wasn't right i do have more headroom in the glass one with the sunroof. I didn't have to bend or sit funny at all i sat straight up and i was maybe 1/2 inch below the glass.

Let this be a lesson to you people that want to buy a metal roof tesla you lose like 4 inches of headroom in that damn thing.

I remember test driving a Tesla S in 2014 with the sunroof. There was this huge, thick bar running across the middle of the roof that was where my head was when the seat was all the way back. Luckily, my 2020 is just glass, and I now have good headroom at 6' 4"

I had one of the last cars with the metal roof. I think you lose between 1-2" depending on where you sit. A plus for the metal roof is it is filled with insulation so less of an effect from outside temps and quieter compared with glass roofs at that time. Also a lot less painful if you hit a hard bump and are pushed up into the headliner than hitting glass. That said, my current 2022 glass roof is rather good. Not as well insulated, but similar in sound rejection, so improvements over the years.

Glass roofs are a gimmick. They provide no real benefit to the end user and are now just a manufacturing shortcut.

They allow/trap heat, are incredibly noisy, and with the new coatings, you don’t even have the benefit of being able to see through them.

I wish Tesla would make a metal roof, or at least give me a sunroof with a proper lining.

Yup rear headroom is even more lacking with the solid roof, I remember that issue well when testing and sitting in those early cars. We had to get the glass roof so I could sit in the back when needed. Plus only the glass roof had crossbar mounting points, as I recall.

My wife actually wanted the glass for its own sake, especially because it opens. I don't care for that but I do care about headroom and roof racks!