Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal shavings in brake fluid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I’m sending out calipers from a 100D for paint, and I noticed the brake fluid draining from the calipers is loaded with metal shavings. I don’t have an analysis yet, but the fluid will be sent to the lab to see what’s going on. Has anyone seen this before?

So, I’m sending out calipers from a 100D for paint, and I noticed the brake fluid draining from the calipers is loaded with metal shavings. I don’t have an analysis yet, but the fluid will be sent to the lab to see what’s going on. Has anyone seen this before?

You're really not supposed to have them, but it's not a first. Could be anything from wearing pistons to something more catstrophic. There's not a whole lot of grinding parts in the system, so usually a good flush to make sure you're not running too much water in the lines solves it and keeps friction down.

Update: owner says the vehicle was in a pretty decent front end collision, and needed a new iBooster, ABS pump, and a few other components. I’m going to assume this is the cause of the contamination, likely due to improper flushing. A full flush has been done, and the fluid is clean and clear now.

Reactions: MP3Mike