Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metal vs Plastic inside rear hatch...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my S today. It was delivered with a few others, and wondering what's up with this difference... Our car (black P85) had black plastic inside the rear hatch -- whereas another persons blue 85 had silver (metal) which looks way nicer. Why did my car get the short end of the stick here? My car is loaded with everything except the paint armor and 3rd row seats...

IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0135.jpg

My P85 (VIN 6087), which I picked up two days ago, also has the plastic insert. And the P85 badge is missing.

BTW, I posted a thread that my car died with 100 miles on it and had to be towed from Leesburg VA to the Rockville (MD) Service Center.

I have the shiny sill plates too, but I'm pretty sure they're plastic. I'll have to go check. I honestly think it looks fine either way, or in fact, maybe even I'm no starting to lean a little bit towards the black since it actually seems more appropriate for that area. They're supposed to be like, I dunno what to call them, skid pads or something to take the wear of sliding cargo in and out. Black plastic actually seems more appropriate and the shiny painted plastic might dull over time.

Do you guys really feel it's aluminum? I dunno I have a pretty bad memroy when it comes to little details. I'm sure I could be wrong.

My P85 (VIN 6087), which I picked up two days ago, also has the plastic insert. And the P85 badge is missing.

BTW, I posted a thread that my car died with 100 miles on it and had to be towed from Leesburg VA to the Rockville (MD) Service Center.

There are no P85 badges.

How'd your stall turn out? Easily fixable problem?

Edit: ok I guess I haven't been on the forums enough you are right and apparently P85 badging is becoming available for some. May just be a matter of supply like the spoilers were

Last edited:
I have a non-performance 85 and have the shiny thingees in the trunk area but I do not have that fancy cover over the area where trunk passengers would put their feet. TMC seems to have a habit of shipping cars if they are missing small items. I can see how this can happen with the 1,000s of parts needed.

Trunk.jpg

Attachments

• Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 403
  • Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 393
View attachment 17940

Is that an optical illusion? Or do you have a little extra "junk" in the trunk that none of us have???

Methinks that carrerascott has the sound upgrade and the blue one does not. I believe that is the location of the subwoofer and possibly extra amplifier. Gently reach into the footwell, towards that hump and you should feel the sub speaker rubber surround and flat cone. Cars without the sound upgrade do not have the sub and larger amp, so no hump.