TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Metal vs Plastic inside rear hatch...?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by carrerascott, Mar 7, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Just got my S today. It was delivered with a few others, and wondering what's up with this difference... Our car (black P85) had black plastic inside the rear hatch -- whereas another persons blue 85 had silver (metal) which looks way nicer. Why did my car get the short end of the stick here? My car is loaded with everything except the paint armor and 3rd row seats...

IMG_0134.jpg IMG_0135.jpg

2. setritt

setritt p6652

would love to hear why? could it possibly be a change with regard to the new third row seat option?

3. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Neither car had 3rd row seats. Their vin was about 50 earlier than mine. Did they run out of the nice aluminum ones and give me the black plastic?

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Sounds like the most plausible theory.

5. swegman

swegman Member

My P85 (VIN 6087), which I picked up two days ago, also has the plastic insert. And the P85 badge is missing.

BTW, I posted a thread that my car died with 100 miles on it and had to be towed from Leesburg VA to the Rockville (MD) Service Center.

6. setritt

setritt p6652

i get my car next week, will let you know what i have.

i surely hope they didn't do that, and if so, they need to change it when they come back in stock!

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The aluminum looks much nicer. That's a bit annoying.

8. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

Just checked my P85 (picked up in Fremont 2 weeks ago Sunday) and it has the metal plates. I'd guess they're low on those parts, but if so you should have been informed with replacements added to your due bill.

9. olanmills

olanmills Member

I have the shiny sill plates too, but I'm pretty sure they're plastic. I'll have to go check. I honestly think it looks fine either way, or in fact, maybe even I'm no starting to lean a little bit towards the black since it actually seems more appropriate for that area. They're supposed to be like, I dunno what to call them, skid pads or something to take the wear of sliding cargo in and out. Black plastic actually seems more appropriate and the shiny painted plastic might dull over time.

Do you guys really feel it's aluminum? I dunno I have a pretty bad memroy when it comes to little details. I'm sure I could be wrong.

10. rlpm

rlpm S P85 | Sig X _P90D_

I also like the dark plastic ones. The shiny ones look out of place to me. I'll be happy with either, though.

11. huntjo

huntjo Member

#11 huntjo, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    There are no P85 badges.

How'd your stall turn out? Easily fixable problem?

Edit: ok I guess I haven't been on the forums enough you are right and apparently P85 badging is becoming available for some. May just be a matter of supply like the spoilers were

12. orlando

orlando Member

email Tesla about the trim discrepency - they are very good about resolving/explaining these things.

13. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Yup. I have emails out. Also that my car was $15k more than the one that got the stainless trim......

14. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

I'll take whatever they give me, but I'd prefer the black plastic. :)

15. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Same here. Plastic and no badge please.

16. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

IMG_0134.jpg

Is that an optical illusion? Or do you have a little extra "junk" in the trunk that none of us have???

17. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Wow. Didn't notice it was missing on the blue - but that junk has been there on all 3 cars ive seen live In Oslo. All In Vin #125x.

Edit: sound studio amp/subwoofer?

18. Blurry_Eyed

Blurry_Eyed MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761

Yes, the cover on the right side of the trunk area is where the subwoofer is for the Studio Sound package.

19. Elshout

Elshout Member

I have a non-performance 85 and have the shiny thingees in the trunk area but I do not have that fancy cover over the area where trunk passengers would put their feet. TMC seems to have a habit of shipping cars if they are missing small items. I can see how this can happen with the 1,000s of parts needed.

Trunk.jpg

Attached Files:

20. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Methinks that carrerascott has the sound upgrade and the blue one does not. I believe that is the location of the subwoofer and possibly extra amplifier. Gently reach into the footwell, towards that hump and you should feel the sub speaker rubber surround and flat cone. Cars without the sound upgrade do not have the sub and larger amp, so no hump.