Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic noise during regen braking

ev-now

Jul 30, 2015
Denver, CO
New noise for my Jan 2015 S60. Noticed a whine between 42-53 mph (suspect the resonance just changes above that (and below I guess) - wife noticed it first, now I can always hear it at those speeds. Coincided with a 1 in 3 occurrence of a metallic sound as regen cuts in - seems to happen more when weather is warm (not whether car is on a long or short run).

Sounds somewhat like when you have something caught in a brake caliper, 'light' metallic sound (not heavy grinding). Have heard the same noise on approach to ramps it auto-raises for, but I suspect that is regen too - as if I keep any pressure on the accelerator, I don't hear it.

Anyone had these symptoms? Obviously going to take it SC (especially as passenger door handle stopped presenting tonight) - but keen to see what people know before talking with them about it.

Thanks

kartkumar

Jun 25, 2017
Seattle
i noticed that the other day when going up on a very steep hill and let go the accelerator to brake for traffic.
however, at the same time the regen curve on my display turned yellow with a maintenance icon next to it. went away as soon i came down to a flat ground.
went above the same hill to see if i can reproduce, but didnt happen. that yellow regen curve thingy went away too !

Boatguy

Apr 3, 2014
SF Bay Area
Do you have the air suspension? It makes a very mechanical sound. It's automatically self leveling so it can be triggered by braking, weight shift on hills, etc.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC