Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic rattle rear/trunk area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all. Been trying to track down a metallic rattle in the rear, further back than the rear seats, almost sounds like keys jangling, and was hoping for some advice from anyone who has maybe already dealt with this.

I kinda suspect it’s coming from the trunk lid itself. I’ve seen a few mention this in other posts and they briefly mentioned using the trunk lid adjustment “bolts” found on the car body when the trunk lid is raised.

Can anyone who has adjusted these elaborate on how it’s done? Alternatively if anyone else has dealt with a metallic clank type rattle from the rear I’d love any input you can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Try a microfiber cloth over the bracket where the seats lock in place. I found my rear left seat one rattled a bit and this solved it. Just put two miocro fiber towels in place when you lock the seats in place and see if that solves it.

Push on the closed trunk lid near the hinge. It'll easily sink inward and clunk as it hits the metal-on-metal stop. If that sounds like the noise you're hearing you can adjust the 10mm bolt on the base of the hinge. It's very tight and covered in paint so use a full socket wrench and be careful. You might need to raise it to eliminate the gap, or lower it to eliminate the contact. Experiment.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I actually have already tried taping the rear seat latches for a different rattle, but lately the seats have been folded down anyway due to a separate issue in which the middle seatbelt tensioner is stuck and trying to raise the driver side rear seat binds the belt. Probably why this metallic rattle is so noticeable now!

I spent some time today with this and adjusted both sides of the hinge adjustment bolts out enough so they make contact to the hinge arm rest and also put rubber bumpers on them.

I also removed the trunk lid plastic trim and made sure none of the clips were broken or missing, as well as fabric taped hard wires that were making contact with the metal trunk lid. Additionally, I removed the trunk mounted tail lights after noticing they rattle quite a bit and placed rubber bumpers on the backside of those so the hard plastic isn’t in direct contact with the metal body.

I just got back from a drive and while I think this helped with some of the rattles, it unfortunately had absolutely no impact on the metallic sounding rattle.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

I actually have already tried taping the rear seat latches for a different rattle, but lately the seats have been folded down anyway due to a separate issue in which the middle seatbelt tensioner is stuck and trying to raise the driver side rear seat binds the belt. Probably why this metallic rattle is so noticeable now!

I spent some time today with this and adjusted both sides of the hinge adjustment bolts out enough so they make contact to the hinge arm rest and also put rubber bumpers on them.

I also removed the trunk lid plastic trim and made sure none of the clips were broken or missing, as well as fabric taped hard wires that were making contact with the metal trunk lid. Additionally, I removed the trunk mounted tail lights after noticing they rattle quite a bit and placed rubber bumpers on the backside of those so the hard plastic isn’t in direct contact with the metal body.

I just got back from a drive and while I think this helped with some of the rattles, it unfortunately had absolutely no impact on the metallic sounding rattle.
Did you ever get this issue fixed?

Hello,
I have the same problem for the past week and its getting louder and i tried to isolate but i didn't find any to fixed it. I reach out to Tesla Service Center in Van Nuys, which I schedule it for next week. The initial cost is $240. What do you think?
Is this still a warranty issue, any help is greatly appreciated, thank you