Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic silver and/or RWD resale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Two different questions, but same theme so will ask both here. How do you think resale will be affected as time goes on for Metallic silver or RWD or a combination of both in the M3?

Sooner than later, RWD LR will be a small minority of M3's out there. I wonder in a few years will people have bias toward LR RWD since subconsciously they'll know it's "old". A 2018 LR AWD may blend in much better than RWD on the resale market in 5 years.

Same question for Midnight silver, will people see it as a rare color or a symbol of a 2018 which in 5 years will be "old"?

My gut is both will be symbols of an early model eventually, but curious what others who have thought about this more than I have think? Are there any examples of a similar thing occurring that I could track the trend of?

Thanks!

I think the discontinued LR RWD will fare better in the resale market since it will have the longest range of all Model 3s (334 miles EPA), and only 1 mile shorter than the Model S 100D (335 miles EPA).

Buyers who prioritize range over all other features (i.e. AWD, Performance) will pay a premium* for a used LR RWD and actually skip configuring a new model, since no new models (as of 11/2/2018) will have a longer range.

No idea about Metallic Silver, but I'm going to guess it doesn't help resale. It was discontinued because "no one" liked it. Also, color is one of the first features that buyers on the used market will compromise on. They will prioritize exterior/interior condition, range, battery health, AWD, etc.

*Not necessarily a premium price over a new AWD, but in terms of higher residual value as compared to other used models on market

Reactions: ChadS