Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic Sounding Clicking From Under Next Gen Driver's Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Andyw2100

Oct 22, 2014
Ithaca, NY
I posted the following video in another thread about seat clicking noises, but I believe almost everyone posting in that thread has older (not Next Gen) seats, so I thought this probably warranted its own thread.

Recently I noticed a new metallic clicking sound coming from what sounded like beneath my driver's seat when driving over anything but the very smoothest of roads. The frequency and volume of the clicking varies, depending on the road surface. It can be quite annoying.

I made the video below, to attempt to demonstrate this noise for the service manager at my service center, and sent it to him last night. I haven't heard from him yet.

The video shows me putting pressure on the base of the seat with one hand, which also causes a sound. That's not the clicking sound I hear while driving. The sound I hear while driving is the sound you can hear on the video when I release the pressure I'm putting on the seat. The sound is not as loud while driving as it is in some of the examples in the video, but it is the same sound. My guess is that because I'm being more precise with the pressure point in the video than I am with my backside when driving, the sound is louder.

Putting pressure on the passenger seat exactly the same way does not result in the sound.

Does anyone else have a Next Gen driver's seat that makes a sound like this? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

I did look under the seat with a flashlight, and couldn't really see anything obvious, but of course I really didn't know what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check the owner's manual, you'll see that this is where the depreciation on the vehicle is emitted. It is dropped off in coins of the local currency. What you're hearing is the change falling out of your vehicle.

Sorry.. back to seriousness...

This post in the other thread is probably relevant here:

I took my car to the Bellevue service center this morning. The shop foreman took a ride with me and witnessed the noise. He told me Tesla just released a bulletin last week documenting the problem and a fix.

Apparently the seat bottom went though a design change where they modified the size of rivets holding it together, that creates this ticking noise over time. The fix is to apparently replace the seat bottom which they will order for me (they did not have any in stock).

I had what I believe is the same clicking sound from my Next Gen driver's seat - kind of like a a switch clicking on and off. It was seriously annoying.

Service Center said it was something about rivets in the seat base. They attempted to fix the rivets with no success; so, they ended up replacing the seat base.

I posted the following video in another thread about seat clicking noises, but I believe almost everyone posting in that thread has older (not Next Gen) seats, so I thought this probably warranted its own thread.

Recently I noticed a new metallic clicking sound coming from what sounded like beneath my driver's seat when driving over anything but the very smoothest of roads. The frequency and volume of the clicking varies, depending on the road surface. It can be quite annoying.

I made the video below, to attempt to demonstrate this noise for the service manager at my service center, and sent it to him last night. I haven't heard from him yet.

The video shows me putting pressure on the base of the seat with one hand, which also causes a sound. That's not the clicking sound I hear while driving. The sound I hear while driving is the sound you can hear on the video when I release the pressure I'm putting on the seat. The sound is not as loud while driving as it is in some of the examples in the video, but it is the same sound. My guess is that because I'm being more precise with the pressure point in the video than I am with my backside when driving, the sound is louder.

Putting pressure on the passenger seat exactly the same way does not result in the sound.

Does anyone else have a Next Gen driver's seat that makes a sound like this? Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

I did look under the seat with a flashlight, and couldn't really see anything obvious, but of course I really didn't know what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had what I believe is the same clicking sound from my Next Gen driver's seat - kind of like a a switch clicking on and off. It was seriously annoying.

Service Center said it was something about rivets in the seat base. They attempted to fix the rivets with no success; so, they ended up replacing the seat base.

I got halfway through typing in a comment saying that yesterday morning I saw a new owner dropping his car off for the exact same sound, and then saw you are from Charlotte! If you are Facebook, we have a "Charlotte Tesla Owners/Enthusiasts" group if you want to join and stay in touch with other area owners.

Beautiful car!!!! Sorry if I caused you any delays (to others: their computers came to a crawl while trying to ring out my purchase).

Can you explain what you mean by "seat base." Is there leather on the seat base? I think at this point my SC is planning on replacing my entire seat, and if the seat base is all that needs to be replaced, that may definitely be preferable, as I have had my seats treated with CQuartz Letaher, and would prefer not to have to have a new seat treated again.

Thanks!

Can you explain what you mean by "seat base." Is there leather on the seat base? I think at this point my SC is planning on replacing my entire seat, and if the seat base is all that needs to be replaced, that may definitely be preferable, as I have had my seats treated with CQuartz Letaher, and would prefer not to have to have a new seat treated again.

Thanks!

first time seeing this thread. I am currently awaiting next generation seat #4! :-(

First has rocking motion that significantly concerned me, though I ended up waited almost 5 months for a replacement. See previous seat-gate issue on next gen seats.

seat #1 was replaced and the rocking did not occur anymore, though after a couple of weeks (June?) I got the clicking noise on seat #2. SC said issue was likely due to install, though discovered to be in seat sub frame, and needed new seat which would take a while. We laughed about wait couldn't be as long again though...

Went away for 3 months and chased up replacement seat upon return. After another month+ (October?), had seat replaced with another new (#3) seat. Seemed ok, though weekend after my wife laughed at belief that SC hadn't actually replaced the seat as noise was back and just as bad. She was right.

Another seat ordered (Nov) and was told that this was due to bad batch of seats with poor riveting that causes them to hit seat sub frame. SC had much consternation that seat #3 had same issue, though test drive showed it did.

Another seat (#4) ordered, with promise it won't be long as factory parts are showing 7 in stock. When phoned last week to check status and trying to get seat replaced as part of annual service, was told could not be guaranteed as seat takes 5 weeks to arrive..

I thought I was the only one with this issue, though it appears not... Only found this thread from search as Dirk mentioned that there was a known issue and resolution...

all I want for Christmas is the car I ordered.. How do I answer the consumer reports car reliability survey sitting in my inbox... Makes me sad :-(

Thanks!

nice video, btw - now able to reproduce thus better. So, um, thanks? ;-)

Thanks!

So I take it your sound has been the same?

My wife thinks I'm crazy for letting this sound bother me, and for wanting anything done about it. I can't believe it doesn't bother her.

Yep. Driving me nuts.. Reminds me of one of the randomly-timed, battery-operated, non-directional buzzers that you'd hide in someone's office to drive them nuts. Only this noise is a finger-snapping click... Just did a few hundred miles again today and I am so glad for autopilot, otherwise I might have taken it out on the other traffic ;-)