Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metered charging station for condo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a condo and will have electrician come out next week to (hopefully) install NEMA 14-50 near my parking space. I am in search of a charging station I can plug into the outlet, but ideally it should have a meter built in, so that I can reimburse my HOA for electricity I use. I really like the idea of Juicebox Pro, but I am on the 3rd floor and my wifi won't reach into the garage (I am told that meter function won't work without being connected to my network). Does anyone have a recommendation for another metered charging station? Thanks!

Yeah, I spoke to EverCharge and actually have an appointment next week for them to assess my building. They said AVERAGE condo instillation costs are $3,000- $5,000 (crazy). Plus the $15/month service fee plus electricity (I read they are not very transparent how they calculate what rate they use to charge you). I think I will go for simple 14-50 NEMA instillation.

Reactions: brkaus
This is what you want:

ez-read-tamper-resistant-3.jpg
yhst-97927213475128_2272_3552471

EZ Read FM2S 200A 240V 3W TR $ 24.50
MILBANK PART# U8435-XL-TG-HSP $ 44.30

Cheap, easy to read, and easy for your electrician to install. Simply read the numbers each reporting period and subtract the reading from the previous period. I've got one and it currently reads over 21MWh used driving electric over the last 6 years!

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr
Hi guys, so plans for condo NEMA 14-50 installation are firming up. I've gotten quotes from 3 different electricans and selected one I am most comfortable with. I awaiting my board's final approval of the project. Meanwhile, what home charging station do you recommend that plugs into NEMA 14-50. I've heard good things about Juicebox. Any other ones I should consider?

I was fully expecting a need to create letters, documents, engineering plans, etc. But, to my surprise, the board said go ahead. As long as I pay for electricity and provide copy of my electrician's license. My condo building is small though, only 14 units. That's all so far. My electrician is planning to start work tomorrow. I will keep you posted in regards to if this actually works.

Reactions: goneskiian
Funny we were just discussing this! Someone presented this solution which I think is great (Canadian Site but I'm sure there is something similar in the US).

Home | FLO

Specifically: Residents | FLO

The business case is that if the board will assist with the cost of installing these in a common area (visitor stall for example) it can be a sales tool for resale or new units and helps promote the lifestyle of the building. Amortized over a number of units the cost is minimal and it can be charged back to the users with app-based metering/billing - so no hassle for the Board.

rjdoc,
Please post pictures of the installation when it is done. The idea of tapping into the building supply and having each charging station metered is a big money saver that might fly for other condo owners.

Thanks,
RT

@3s-a-charm I called a company called Evercharge, I guess they have something similar. What a terrible company. Took 3 weeks for someone to call me back. When they did, they told me they will come and assess the building. No one ever came. Overall, they would significantly overcharge for electricity (they control $/kW, plus you pay monthly fee, plus they quoted me $5000-$7000 for installation).

@RubberToe I will definitely take pictures. One snag I already ran into: I was trying to install a TOU meter so EV charges would go directly to my bill. That can't happen because of our old electrical panel. So only choice I have is to tap into common condo power supply and reimburse HOA monthly for electricity.

UPDATE: My electrician finished the installation today. Ended up being better than I expected. Nice clean install. The meter will show how much electricity I use per months and I will cut HOA a check for KWh x 0.16 cents (thats SCE base rate, not sure if its cheap or expensive). Coincidentally, they called me from SC today- my MX had arrived. Going through pre-delivery inspection now and should be picking up soon. I am getting excited!

Attachments

• IMG_7139.JPG
    IMG_7139.JPG
    388.5 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_7140.JPG
    IMG_7140.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7141.JPG
    IMG_7141.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 91
UPDATE: My electrician finished the installation today. Ended up being better than I expected. Nice clean install. The meter will show how much electricity I use per months and I will cut HOA a check for KWh x 0.16 cents (thats SCE base rate, not sure if its cheap or expensive). Coincidentally, they called me from SC today- my MX had arrived. Going through pre-delivery inspection now and should be picking up soon. I am getting excited!

If you are buying a Tesla, why did you install J1772?
So what happens when some Bolt or Leaf driver plugs in and charges? Will you pay for their juice or do you have some way to lock the charge cable?

Really nice installation there!