TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Metered charging station for condo

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by rjdoc74, Jan 4, 2017.

1. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I live in a condo and will have electrician come out next week to (hopefully) install NEMA 14-50 near my parking space. I am in search of a charging station I can plug into the outlet, but ideally it should have a meter built in, so that I can reimburse my HOA for electricity I use. I really like the idea of Juicebox Pro, but I am on the 3rd floor and my wifi won't reach into the garage (I am told that meter function won't work without being connected to my network). Does anyone have a recommendation for another metered charging station? Thanks!

2. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Search for refurbished electric meter and socket on the web if you want a stand alone metering solution. They are surprisingly inexpensive.

• Like x 1
  3. 182RG

182RG Free The Service Manuals From Tyranny

• Informative x 1
  4. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Thank you! Will run it by him.

5. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

Evercharge and semaconnect both have metered stations with monthly billing and can reimburse the HOA automatically.

6. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I'm guessing they would end up taking a good chunk of change being the middleman? Anyone used them?

7. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

I haven't used them but I will probably need one of them once I get condo charging going here. Last time I called for a quote the station was approx $1100 and it was $15 a month for metering and reimbursement service.

8. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Yeah, I spoke to EverCharge and actually have an appointment next week for them to assess my building. They said AVERAGE condo instillation costs are $3,000- $5,000 (crazy). Plus the $15/month service fee plus electricity (I read they are not very transparent how they calculate what rate they use to charge you). I think I will go for simple 14-50 NEMA instillation.

• Like x 1
  9. davewill

davewill Member

#9 davewill, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    This is what you want:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    EZ Read FM2S 200A 240V 3W TR $ 24.50
    MILBANK PART# U8435-XL-TG-HSP $ 44.30

Cheap, easy to read, and easy for your electrician to install. Simply read the numbers each reporting period and subtract the reading from the previous period. I've got one and it currently reads over 21MWh used driving electric over the last 6 years!

• Like x 1
  10. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Hi guys, so plans for condo NEMA 14-50 installation are firming up. I've gotten quotes from 3 different electricans and selected one I am most comfortable with. I awaiting my board's final approval of the project. Meanwhile, what home charging station do you recommend that plugs into NEMA 14-50. I've heard good things about Juicebox. Any other ones I should consider?

11. jrichey

jrichey Member

@rjdoc74 - Did you create any documents for the board to help get your project approved? I need to do something similar for my condo and would love to not create the wheel myself if you have something I could leverage. Thanks in advance!

12. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

I was fully expecting a need to create letters, documents, engineering plans, etc. But, to my surprise, the board said go ahead. As long as I pay for electricity and provide copy of my electrician's license. My condo building is small though, only 14 units. That's all so far. My electrician is planning to start work tomorrow. I will keep you posted in regards to if this actually works.

• Like x 1
  13. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Funny we were just discussing this! Someone presented this solution which I think is great (Canadian Site but I'm sure there is something similar in the US).

Home | FLO

Specifically: Residents | FLO

The business case is that if the board will assist with the cost of installing these in a common area (visitor stall for example) it can be a sales tool for resale or new units and helps promote the lifestyle of the building. Amortized over a number of units the cost is minimal and it can be charged back to the users with app-based metering/billing - so no hassle for the Board.

14. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

rjdoc,
    Please post pictures of the installation when it is done. The idea of tapping into the building supply and having each charging station metered is a big money saver that might fly for other condo owners.

Thanks,
    RT

15. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

@3s-a-charm I called a company called Evercharge, I guess they have something similar. What a terrible company. Took 3 weeks for someone to call me back. When they did, they told me they will come and assess the building. No one ever came. Overall, they would significantly overcharge for electricity (they control $/kW, plus you pay monthly fee, plus they quoted me $5000-$7000 for installation).

@RubberToe I will definitely take pictures. One snag I already ran into: I was trying to install a TOU meter so EV charges would go directly to my bill. That can't happen because of our old electrical panel. So only choice I have is to tap into common condo power supply and reimburse HOA monthly for electricity.

16. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

UPDATE: My electrician finished the installation today. Ended up being better than I expected. Nice clean install. The meter will show how much electricity I use per months and I will cut HOA a check for KWh x 0.16 cents (thats SCE base rate, not sure if its cheap or expensive). Coincidentally, they called me from SC today- my MX had arrived. Going through pre-delivery inspection now and should be picking up soon. I am getting excited!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  17. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

If you are buying a Tesla, why did you install J1772?
    So what happens when some Bolt or Leaf driver plugs in and charges? Will you pay for their juice or do you have some way to lock the charge cable?

18. rjdoc74

rjdoc74 Member

Its in my own personal space in my condo building that is secure and has a concierge on premises. No one else has an EV for now and we only have 14 units. I will also buy a something I can lock the J1772 hand with for further protection.

• Informative x 1
  19. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Really nice installation there!