TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

METI will install 36,000 DC fast charging stations in Japan

Discussion in 'Asia and Australia' started by GSP, Jul 20, 2013.

1. GSP

GSP Member

2. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

Super cool! If you'd have a Model S there with a CHAdeMO adapter I'd be like heaven I guess.

3. MarkR

MarkR Member

For the Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) to plan the installation of 36,000 fast chargers is huge. Can you imagine the outcry from the oil & gas industry if our government tried to do this in the US?

4. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Japan used to require an extensive and expensive vehicle tear-down/inspection after just 5 years (?) if the owner wanted to continue to drive this vehicle. Result was almost inevitably to export the car or export the parts. Assume still true today. Thus Japan has mostly 'new' cars on roads unlike anywhere else on earth. Opportunity to phase in EVs unlike anywhere else on earth. Hence the full bore planning for EVSEs. Japan is the one to watch here. :smile:

5. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

They are just spending the tax dollars to help increase the quick chargers. Establishments which plan to install new quick chargers will get a half to two-thirds of charger costs and, sometimes, the installation costs, which is typically more than two times expensive than charger itself... Japann is electritian paradise.

6. MarkR

MarkR Member

i can't fathom the need for a comprehensive tear down on an EV - they could save a lot of money if EVs were exempt.

7. hiroshiy

hiroshiy Active Member

No it's simple vehicle inspection including beam direction, oil leaks or traces of oil leaks, alignments, exhaust NOx levels, exhaust noise levels, horns, turn signals etc. It is required by law at 3 years after the new registration, and 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 etc. Also in tax code a car's value becomes zero in 7 years.
    So many peoole sell their cars after 3, 5 years.

8. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> So many peoole sell their cars after 3, 5 years. [hiroshiy]

Or they get taken apart. I have 2 mint JDM engines - "Japan Domestic Market"- just barely broken in. Probably less than 25,000 miles on them. Now that I've gone electric I will probably never get to enjoy them. 8^(

Thanx for the update. Used JDM vehicles get sent all over the world, too. I have a JDM Kei truck that truly is the 'ubiquitous comestible'! Could not live without it.

@MarkR - Soon Japan will tip over to an EV society, save for the sizable collector-car fan base.
    --