Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metric Imperial scale issue in Energy App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DMC-Orangeville

Audi eTron & John Deere 5100E
Feb 14, 2015
Orangeville ON Canada
I think I found an issue in the energy App, when used in metric. My morning commute is about 50 KM, and I realized that the energy used was going out 25KM (set at 50 - see below). When I toggled to imperial, at 30 miles (the same as 50 KM), the scale is correct. See pics below taken at the same point in time

Anyone else notice this?

scale.jpg

Yes, sort of. I didn't go to the detail of doing a distance conversion, but noted that going between 50 and 25 didn't show the energy at the left side of the 25 scale anywhere close to the middle of the 50. Adding that to what you've pointed out, I wonder if there is a conversion error on at least one of the scales. I'll have to look more closely (casual glance when driving is all I've done so far!).

Since the rest of the World is Metric, you would think that U.S. based Tesla would get their act together and priorities the Metric system on their cars worldwide.
I think this is a case of someone there at Tesla, not aware that life exists outside of the U.S. and its "Imperialism"!

I think more likely it's a bug that isn't related specifically to support for metric. I have not changed to Imperialist units :) in the car and have never seen any mistake in the energy graph. The original poster's example seems to be a bug related to switching units - as if the variable that determines the horizontal scale was not changed, which it should be when changing units. I suspect that the same error will happen in the opposite direction. If I remember, the next time I go out to the car I'll try it out.

I think this is a case of someone there at Tesla, not aware that life exists outside of the U.S. and its "Imperialism"!

I see what you did there :wink: Interestingly, the US even deviates from "imperial" units in the case of liquid volume: Imperial pint 20 oz. US pint 16 oz. Both imperial and US have 2 pints in a quart and 4 quarts in a gallon, but it makes US pints quarts and gallons smaller.