Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metromile insurance Pulse installation question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_3914.JPG
I just picked up my 2016 model S and went with Metromile insurance. My Pulse device came in the mail today but my not sure where to plug it in. I was told that they insure many tesla owners and was wondering if someone who's using MM can tell me how/where to install it.

It's supposed to plug into the OBD-2 port but my sales guy said he didn't know if the car has one. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Before getting into this there's a very high chance this device won't work, it just depends on what it's designed to do.

Per federal requirements that all vehicles have an OBD-2 port, yes the Tesla does have an OBD-2 port. It's underneath the left side of the dash, near the "dead pedal" Dead pedal - Wikipedia
The issue with OBD-2 devices and the Tesla is that OBD-2 doesn't make much sense on the Tesla. Most of what OBD-2 does is relay data that is only relevant for ICE cars. So while the Tesla does have an OBD-2 port, it actually doesn't do anything except supply power. None of the data lines on it are active. (The federal regulations don't require that the OBD-2 port do anything specifically in the Tesla's case) If the Metromile device needs any of the expected OBD-2 data, it will not work. If all it needs is power, then it may work.

So go ahead and try to plug it in, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work/doesn't report any data to Metromile. In particular, I know that the OBD-2 port in a Tesla doesn't supply any mileage data (which is what an insurance company like Metromile needs), while the OBD-2 port in a gasoline car normally does. So I don't think the Metromile device will actually work. However, you can give it a try, it won't hurt anything to.