Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mettalic rattle from air vent on driver's side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lzolman

Never thought I'd be driving the world's best car!
Supporting Member
Jun 13, 2019
Boston North Shore
We're experiencing a very intermittent noise/rattle that seems to be coming from the air vent on the very left end of the dash. I took a video, and in this case we were on the highway and had been driving for about 50 miles when it started. The noise went on for about half an hour, then receded. It's my wife's car and she'd heard it before, same pattern. If we brought it in for service, of course it would not be doing it ;-)

Here's the video: https://www.bdsoft.com/dist/tesla3-rattle.mp4 (my web site, safe.)

The hand you see is pressing down about where the sound seems to be coming from.

The louder metallic sounds at the end of the video are not related to the issue.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing them!

Thanks,
-leor

I have the same noise and thought it was coming from the dash as well, but it turns out it's from the speaker grill below the windshield. Touching it while it makes the noise makes it stop as well as if I tap on it I can hear something rattling. I plan on getting it addressed by my SC when I get my windshield replaced in the coming weeks.

My rattling is also intermittent and I can only hear it after it has warmed up in the sun.

There are tutorials on how to get the grill disassembled, but it is very difficult to place it back due to the clips. It probably is such a pain that the assembly line didn't install some of them correctly or broke some clicks.

Hope that helps.