Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the supercharger in Cuernavaca on August 20th. It's in the parking garage of a very nice shopping center just off the highway. Plenty of food options in the mall, and lots do do (shopping) while waiting for the car to charge. The toll road between Mexico City and Cuernavaca is excellent. There was a lot of construction taking place on the highway in the vicinity of the supercharger, creating considerable delay in getting there.

Attachments

• Cuernavaca3.JPG
    Cuernavaca3.JPG
    437.2 KB · Views: 300
I visited the supercharger in Cuernavaca on August 20th. It's in the parking garage of a very nice shopping center just off the highway. Plenty of food options in the mall, and lots do do (shopping) while waiting for the car to charge. The toll road between Mexico City and Cuernavaca is excellent. There was a lot of construction taking place on the highway in the vicinity of the supercharger, creating considerable delay in getting there.

Thanks for the report!

Tesla's new map for 2017 has at least 6 more supercharger sites in Mexico, and intriguingly the 'Today' map has one site 'coming soon' which I assume is already under construction. The size of the map makes it impossible to pinpoint the location but I'm going to say it's in or very near Santiago de Querétaro.

No, I don't believe that there are sufficient charging options for charging between the U.S. border and Mexico City. I drove a car that was already in the capital.
I don't remember who it was but there was someone on these forums that drove all the way to the south end of Mexico back in 2013. Mexico has plenty of RV parks and other businesses with 240 volts.

True. Angela and I have visited 27 of the 31 Mexican states in our motorhome over a 4 year period. Fantastic country and without a doubt a very interesting and beautiful part of North America. Perfectly preserved five hundred year old Spanish cities that have never seen a world war...and in a country that takes preservation of their history very seriously.

Driving to Mexico is not an issue. Autopistas are good. Good facilities along the major routes. We have done a ton of miles in Mexico. Enjoyed every minute.
Yep, same here, never a problem in Mexico in 15 years of driving back and forth 2 to 3 times a year. I feel safer driving in Mexico than the freeways in Southern California. Pasa bien!

Driving to Mexico is not an issue. Autopistas are good. Good facilities along the major routes. We have done a ton of miles in Mexico. Enjoyed every minute.

Yep, same here, never a problem in Mexico in 15 years of driving back and forth 2 to 3 times a year. I feel safer driving in Mexico than the freeways in Southern California. Pasa bien!

Good to know, I wasn't sure - made a similar comment on reddit and got lots of replies suggesting that!

If hypothetically one were to take a couple days to drive down to Mexico City from TX, would you buy an insurance rider from your regular car insurance or buy something short term from another outfit?

Also, any issues traveling with dogs?

Best place to pick up low denomination pesos for the tolls?

Thanks! I’ve been looking for some real world experience to counter the scare tactics of State Dept.

AAA. We find they have the best exchange rate and you can specify currency size. Of course, you have to be a AAA member and convenient to a branch.
Wells Fargo Foreign Currency | AAA Northeast

Since they do it through Wells Fargo, you may also be able to do it directly with them at a branch (may have to be a customer) or at other banks.

• Informative
Reactions: Bighorn
If hypothetically one were to take a couple days to drive down to Mexico City from TX, would you buy an insurance rider from your regular car insurance or buy something short term from another outfit?

Also, any issues traveling with dogs?

Thanks! I’ve been looking for some real world experience to counter the scare tactics of State Dept.

ABSOLUTELY buy auto insurance which covers you in Mexico! (Often available from several sources right before you cross the border.)

Mexico does not follow our "innocent until proven guilty" model, and even if you are obviously blameless (like T-boned by someone running a stop sign, with video, etc.) you must prove your ability to pay for the other party's damages (= insurance)

If you can't prove your ability to pay, it's off to jail for you until the Mexican police officially determine it wasn't your fault. So buy Mexican auto insurance coverage before you cross the border!