Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone in the know tell me why there is such a small area of Mexico that has Superchargers? Is the population mostly around where they already are?

Lots of open space untouched. Perhaps that is like our North Dakota, last place to get charging stations cause no one there drives electric.
Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 2.28.39 PM.png

Can someone in the know tell me why there is such a small area of Mexico that has Superchargers? Is the population mostly around where they already are?

Lots of open space untouched. Perhaps that is like our North Dakota, last place to get charging stations cause no one there drives electric.
View attachment 656088
I’ll take a stab at this. The areas covered seem to be the more populated and affluent areas (Mexico City, Guadalajara, and Monterrey) along with making the adjacent areas where the residents of these large cities would travel to often more accessible. For example the nearest resort beach to Mexico City is Acapulco so that route is covered and the nearest resort beach to Guadalajara is Puerto Vallarta so that’s kind of covered. Similarly a lot of Southern California and Tijuana residents may head to Valle de Guadalupe wine country and Ensenada so that route is covered too. Judging based on the maps they are going to cover other areas where people would travel to such as the state of Chihuahua and Mazatlán along the Pacific coast. In addition to that it looks like at some point they will cover the route from Mexico City to the Yucatán Peninsula.

Reactions: PStewart
Thanks, I bet a Mexico from space at night would be a good way to understand where the people are.

I had a friend in college take xmas vacation and drive to Cabo. He made it sound like fun, 1000 miles of nothing. Can't do that yet, but I look forward to it.

Reactions: PStewart
Thanks, I bet a Mexico from space at night would be a good way to understand where the people are.

I had a friend in college take xmas vacation and drive to Cabo. He made it sound like fun, 1000 miles of nothing. Can't do that yet, but I look forward to it.
I have been doing that drive for 35 years. I used to spend 20% to 25% of any given year, just living on the beaches and in the mountains. Yes, it used to be 1000 miles of beautiful desert, especially before it was paved. Now, the middle 2/3's is still very nice but the top and bottoms are so populated and over developed that it is very sad. The destination chargers in Baja are well placed. Most of the middle 1/3 of Baja may not support Superchargers. Many of the villages are powered by diesel generators.

Here's the best part of Baja, this is my video:

Cancun supercharger opened!

Oh, man! Talk about 1000 miles of driving with no Supercharging, we can easily make it to Mexico City, but Cabo and Cancun are well out of reach. At least if you own a Tesla in Cancun you can charge it. I wonder if people there felt there was a demand...

It's interesting that the supercharger in the Florida Keys is actually the shortest distance from the Cancun supercharger, as the crow flies.

Tesla does have a sales and service center in Merida, which is an important cultural hub and city in the Yucatan Peninsula. Otherwise Cancun which is obviously more of a resort and tourist heavy city does have quite a few Teslas roaming around. Ultimately it looks like there will be a route of superchargers in the Yucatan Peninsula going from Cancun to Merida so this is the start of it.

Given the distance to Chihuahua, CI (248.8 miles to the nearest Supercharger in the West Texas town of El Paso), it could be a sign that Villa Ahumada, CI has been under construction. On the findus map, Villa Ahumada is indicated at Q1 2022, while Chihuahua was marked Q2 2022.
that’s exactly what I thought. It’s a long shot but hopefully someone in the area can verify. If not I’m sure it will eventually pop up when it’s live.