TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Miami / Ft Lauderdale Supercharger (Plantation)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by DJ Frustration, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

This is fantastic news! Thank you!

2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Wonderful news! Thanks, Larry.

Have you any insight regarding the expected time of activation in Plantation, given the arduous permitting process?

how about clues regarding expected/planned location of the Miami Supercharger location?

3. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Hi James,

I expect that now that Tesla is past the initial permitting fiasco, construction should be similar to any other typical Supercharger Station. That should mean less than two months from when ground is broken.

Unfortunately like everyone I only have the Supercharger dot to go by which suggests that the location will be South of Miami.

Larry

4. Larry Chanin

5. GeekLad

GeekLad Member

Excellent news! Thanks for the update Larry.

6. auger

auger Member

I went by there this afternoon. Didn't see anything except for some spray painted utility markings on the ground. Some spray paint looks older, but none of it looks really fresh.

The bottom left blue circle is the last in a string of utility poles. The top right is a transformer box on the north side of Chili's. The red line is where the red H-shaped markings were.

The blue highlighted circle looked like a likely spot to put 8 superchargers.

This may not have anything to do with the supercharger. I'm just guessing since I don't know where it's going in, exactly. If this is it, it looks like a lot of trenching.

sc.JPG

7. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

I stopped by yesterday as well. Parking lot practically full. 7 spaces available along the road parallel. Going to be an ICEing problem if it is behind Chilis

Red ground markings are designated electric lines that exist. Marked ahead of any work so no machine digging there for worker safety. I didn't notice them but may be left over from previous work.

That really is a lousy location for ingress and egress with traffic.
    Exiting the area to the East on 10th is a stop sign with right turn only heading South. Good to get back onto I-595 but there were 7 cars in front of me at that stop sign trying to get into University which has as much traffic as the highways.
    A real pain in the butt to get space to pull out. It took 7 minutes to get from proposed location to the light at the SR84 service road to I-595. Might only be a 1/2 mile or so in 7 minutes.
    The only thing good about that location is Chilis being there.
    $3000 in permits and months of Plantation delays.
    Not worth it in my opinion.
    Hopefully the future Miami one isn't as badly located.

8. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

This city site still shows no permits issued nor inspectors assigned, so if they're to break ground by month end they've four days to do it!
    https://aca.plantation.org/CitizenAccess/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=Building&TabName=Building&capID1=14BLD&capID2=00000&capID3=0038N&agencyCode=PLANTATION&IsToShowInspection=
    Just as did auger and BlkCld I dove by there a few days ago. The potential congestion is most definitely an issue, but I predict that it will be very popular if it ever opens. I too hope that Miami, hopefully South Miami, is better positioned and opens soon. I quite hope Tesla emphasises destination chargers in the area also. There are quite a number of ideal locations throughout Broward and Miami-Dade that should help all the visitors as well as residents.

- - - Updated - - -

9. auger

auger Member

#209 auger, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Someone mentioned awhile back that it was going to be a quarter mile west of University. That would put it way past the Chili's parking lot--even further than the place I highlighted. I looked around that area, too, but didn't see anything.

I showed the markings for existing lines because I thought they may have been done for the Tesla dig. I didn't see any evidence of recent digging, like patched pavement, or any markings further west. When I said "a lot of trenching," I meant to get to a place to tap into the grid. Regardless, it doesn't look like it's going to start in the next few days.

It wasn't crowded at all when I was there, but the lot further west looks less likely to be an ICEing problem.

10. Bill D

Bill D Member

Those parking spots your circled in blue are absolutely the correct spots. (I attended the Plantation Town Council meeting with the Tesla rep).

I've been to the Juan Capistrano Supercharger in southern California, which is almost always a congested nightmare. I also just heard from a friend that lives near there and he said it's now getting even worse. Let's hope that scene isn't duplicated at in Fountains.

11. Larry Chanin

Hi Gary,

The blue highlighted circle is the only location that is consistent with the public records regarding the location of the parking spaces and the Supercharger enclosure. From the public records:

Plantation Supercharger location.jpg

In the red rectangle I have "paced" off eight 50 foot measured lengths from the rear of Chilli's. That is the only location that is set back about 20 fee from the SW 10th Street right-of-way and roughly 320 to 392 feet behind Chilli's.

Larry

12. auger

auger Member

Thanks. Well, I guess the markings for the existing underground lines I drew are for the Tesla dig then.

Since we know exactly where to look now, we're holding you to that "end of the month" promise, Larry. :wink:

13. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

We could do that with moral justification were we to succeed in giving Larry Florida-wide absolute control over zoning, building codes, electrical codes and enforcements/inspections. I so move!:biggrin:

14. Larry Chanin

Hi Guys,

Although I don't think you'll find any of my postings providing a promise, I'm flattered that both of you have so much confidence in me. :redface: :wink:

Not to rain on our parade, I should point out that the guesstimates that I have received to date on this project have been overly optimistic.

Nevertheless, regardless of whether the end-of-the-month guesstimate pans out, I truly believe we are seeing light at the end of a what has been a very long tunnel. I believe that utility coordination is probably the last remaining major critical path item prior to breaking ground.

Larry

15. Larry Chanin

#215 Larry Chanin, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Hi Mark,

I accept your knowledgeable perspective since you are a local. Perhaps that's why Tesla is still pursuing the Miami Supercharger which is only about 30 miles away.

Maybe this is not an analogous situation, but prior to operation there were some legitimate complaints about the Brandon location with regard to potential traffic, but on the whole the location is very strategically located.

From the Google street view to the uninitiated this location looks as good as it is going to get at the Fountains Shopping Mall.

Plantation Supercharger location 2.jpg

In 20-20 hindsight I am one of those who would have liked to have seen Tesla walk away from Plantation, because I'm not entirely sure that they "get it". Now of course Tesla has a lot sunk into the project as you say both in money, engineering and in time.

Larry

16. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Probably a good number of us wish they would concentrate more effort on a South Miami location since that would accommodate both tourists from the north and northwest. Somewhere in western Broward county is logical, especially with Sawgrass and rapid upscale growth in the area, so i do understand them being so tenacious about Plantation. Still, as with al infrastructure projects, to some extent a congenial local government trumps perfect location IMHO; and The Fountains is anyway far from perfect.

I admit my view is influenced by my own residential location. Despite that it is hard to overstate the amount of through traffic on US1 in South Miami heading for the Keys.

17. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

#217 Mnlevin, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
    This location has been FUBAR for a long time. It should NEVER have been a consideration since the Sawgrass Mall is located at all the crossroads coming into S Fla. Sawgrass, I75 and 595 all cross there and there is massive parking, and places to eat and things to do. It is inconceivable to me that they could not have gotten a location there.

18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

#218 jbcarioca, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
    Although most of us would prefer elsewhere there are good arguments for this location too. Frankly, I think we are all so irritated because of how long it is taking for permitting.

19. Mnlevin

Mnlevin Member

Ok maybe the comment sounds over the top, but I live here and there are SOOOOOOOO many better locations that make soooooo much more sense it appears that someone is trying to put a round peg in a square hole. There is nothing special about this location to put so much time effort and money into it.

20. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Despite my earlier comment, it is hard to disagree with your point. I am in Miami-Dade but spend a fair amount of time in your area. I agree with your earlier point about Sawgrass also, particularly because Rouse has an EV charging program anyway and Sawgrass has none, except for the nearby car dealers whose record of helpfulness to tesla drivers approaches zero. BTW, I can hardly blame them, they are not in business to subsidise competitors anyway and most of us are unlikely to transform ourselves to instant Ford buyers, for example.