Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work within walking distance of the Fountains, so am very familiar with the area. It's perfect for a Supercharger, although it's a large, sprawling area, so it depends a bit on which parking lot the superchargers go, because there are parts of the Fountains that are better than others, and for someone using a supercharger, it could be a bit of a walk to get to a restaurant or store of choice. At the height of the recession, the Fountains was struggling badly, with probably a third of the space unoccupied. They've done a good job of modernizing it, and it's doing much better now and is almost fully occupied.

I think the location is perfect (not for me, obviously, and I had a Chargepoint installed at my office anyway :) ) -- it's five minutes from I-95, and even less from the Turnpike, and directly en route for anyone coming from Naples east, and if someone is going east to south (i.e., to the Keys, or even south Miami), it's perfectly located. Pembroke Pines only works for those coming to/from the south, but for anyone coming from/to North Miami or points further north, Pembroke Pines is out of the way. It's also only 10 minutes or so from the Dania Beach store/service center.

My company is one of the larger employers in Plantation, and we have had a good relationship with the City Council over the years, although they can be very finicky to deal with, so it's definitely important that locals (and the landlord and tenants of the Fountains) show up at the meeting on the 22nd. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town that day or I'd definitely go :( I'd also note that parking in certain parts of the Fountains can be very tough during peak hours, so Tesla needs to be careful not to be given too remote a location that would make it tough for people to easily walk someplace for food or shopping while their car charges. I assume some tenants have complained about the parking situation, and the thought of losing 4-8 spots to Tesla could put some tenants in a bad frame of mind, even if it means extra business for them at all hours.

I work within walking distance of the Fountains, so am very familiar with the area. It's perfect for a Supercharger, although it's a large, sprawling area, so it depends a bit on which parking lot the superchargers go, because there are parts of the Fountains that are better than others, and for someone using a supercharger, it could be a bit of a walk to get to a restaurant or store of choice. At the height of the recession, the Fountains was struggling badly, with probably a third of the space unoccupied. They've done a good job of modernizing it, and it's doing much better now and is almost fully occupied.

I think the location is perfect (not for me, obviously, and I had a Chargepoint installed at my office anyway :) ) -- it's five minutes from I-95, and even less from the Turnpike, and directly en route for anyone coming from Naples east, and if someone is going east to south (i.e., to the Keys, or even south Miami), it's perfectly located. Pembroke Pines only works for those coming to/from the south, but for anyone coming from/to North Miami or points further north, Pembroke Pines is out of the way. It's also only 10 minutes or so from the Dania Beach store/service center.

My company is one of the larger employers in Plantation, and we have had a good relationship with the City Council over the years, although they can be very finicky to deal with, so it's definitely important that locals (and the landlord and tenants of the Fountains) show up at the meeting on the 22nd. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town that day or I'd definitely go :( I'd also note that parking in certain parts of the Fountains can be very tough during peak hours, so Tesla needs to be careful not to be given too remote a location that would make it tough for people to easily walk someplace for food or shopping while their car charges. I assume some tenants have complained about the parking situation, and the thought of losing 4-8 spots to Tesla could put some tenants in a bad frame of mind, even if it means extra business for them at all hours.

On the other hand what you are asking would also mean the spots being ICEd because they would be closer to the businesses.
Personally I woud prefer a remote location. Less door ding risk by ICEs being ignorant. More important would be a restroom nearby. I would be okay with some locations with just having a picnic table nearby and shade. Heck you have a car, get some takeout if need be. It's a road trip charger not a destination charger. Convienent to have a restaurant nearby but not parking and charging right next to it.
Port St. Lucie and Fort Myers are good examples. Things are close but yet the chargers are out of the way areas from where ICEs would park.
I am sure there will likely be a spot at the Fountains with the same balance.
Then again, Planation may say no and back to square one.

If we determing this is on the ballot for the 22nd we will need to arrange a meeting before hand so if we do get to voice an opinion we can all point to the same positive senerios.

Larry could you email the Plantation owners once we know for sure if it is on the ajenda, it will be short notice but I think all the local owners that are aware of this meeting will attened.

I will also link this thread over on The Tesla site just in case we have an owner not aware of this meeting who is a local.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks.

We won't know for sure until October 20th. On the 20th go to Plantation.org and check the city clerk's department for the agenda. Even after confirming that Tesla is on the agenda I don't think we will be able to determine a time. All meetings start at 7:30 pm and it could be late in the evening.

Larry
I have been informed by a city official that the Supercharger issue will definitely take place on October 22, 2014 in the Council Chamber. The meeting starts at 7:30 pm but we can't predict when this agenda item will be heard.

Larry

Last edited:
May I suggest Town and Country Mall in Miami as a Supercharger spot? It has a lot of restaurants and shops. It is right off of the Turnpike. And has a lot of parking as well as a little night life (Blue Martini). Or the Kendall Village mall which is directly across the turnpike and that too has restaurants, a gym, stores, parking garage, and a movie theater. These 2 locations are approximately 147 miles from Key West.

Does anyone wish to meet on the 22nd and approach this as a group (Axes and Maces in hand) :scared:

I plan to lay out points (thx Larry) as to why Tesla Super Chargers will benefit the surrounding community.
This information should be shared with any owner who is planning to attend.

Please reply to this post and or email me so we can arrange a time and place to meet.

Thanks
Steve

Does anyone wish to meet on the 22nd and approach this as a group (Axes and Maces in hand) :scared:

I plan to lay out points (thx Larry) as to why Tesla Super Chargers will benefit the surrounding community.
This information should be shared with any owner who is planning to attend.

Please reply to this post and or email me so we can arrange a time and place to meet.

Thanks
Steve

i live in Miami but will be acquiring a business in the Sunrise/Plantation area. I will be more then willing to attend this meeting and voice our support.

OK One so far might I suggest meeting at Duffy's in the fountains at say 6-6:30pm have a few beers + jello shots burn rubber over to the Council Chamber and be well oiled for the meeting....:cursing:

- - - Updated - - -

RELAX IT WAS JOKE :biggrin:

But really meet at Duffy's say 6:30 on Wednesday?

The proposed location of the 8 Supercharger stalls is in the south end of the Chilli's Bar & Grill parking lot at 813 South University Drive, Plantation, FL 33324.
Larry

With all the freeways we have in South Florida, that's where they're looking to put it? Not a smart idea. It only has access to I-595. So people coming from West Coast have to go at least 10 miles out of their way to supercharge before heading to FL Keys. People coming from the North on the Turnpike or I-95 have to get off and go out of their way to supercharge before getting back on the road to the FL Keys or West Coast. Maybe it's just me but this doesn't make sense?

....Maybe it's just me but this doesn't make sense?
"All the freeways we have.." is what makes it difficult. If there was just one freeway going through town, like many other Supercharger locations, it would be easy. I can imagine various locations that would be better for either I-75 travelers, I-95 travelers or Turnpike travelers, but not a single location that's better for all three.

The south end of the Fountains seems to me to be a good compromise, with the plus of being easy on/off I-595 and having access to a wide choice of restaurants and other stores within walking distance. I hope the variance gets approved. I don't know how much the "Duffy's gang" can help, but I'll aim to also be there.

With all the freeways we have in South Florida, that's where they're looking to put it? Not a smart idea. It only has access to I-595. So people coming from West Coast have to go at least 10 miles out of their way to supercharge before heading to FL Keys. People coming from the North on the Turnpike or I-95 have to get off and go out of their way to supercharge before getting back on the road to the FL Keys or West Coast. Maybe it's just me but this doesn't make sense?

Hi Ethan,

Do you have a specific suggestion?

Larry

Hi Ethan,

Do you have a specific suggestion?

Larry

I wish I did have something specific. It's a tough call since there are so many freeways. I guess my disappointment is that the dot on the Supercharger map was basically in Miami. Now it's not even in the same county as Miami (Miami-Dade). For those using the supercharger to make it to the Keys, that's a considerable difference.

Of course, my disappointment doesn't mean that I'm not thankful...even though the likelihood of ever using this supercharger is slim to none for those of us in Miami. Can't say it enough how thankful I was for the Brandon Supercharger on my roadtrip last week. Without it, I would have been inconvenienced big time.

On a separate note, I think Streamsong is blowing smoke. I spoke to the marketing contact Bonnie and I had discussed who claimed he'd put me in touch with engineering prior to my arrival. Never happened. When I arrived they were fumbling all over themselves and I ended up charging on 110V at 3 mi/hr. The guys on the walkies were even joking about electric cars. Idiotic stuff. It worked out, only because I used the Brandon charger earlier that day. Also the marketing contact said they haven't made any progress on installing the HPWC. Maybe you'll get a different response. If it weren't for the two fantastic golf courses, I'd recommend us EV owners steer clear until they value our business and address the fact that they are in the middle of nowhere!

I wish I did have something specific. It's a tough call since there are so many freeways. I guess my disappointment is that the dot on the Supercharger map was basically in Miami. Now it's not even in the same county as Miami (Miami-Dade). For those using the supercharger to make it to the Keys, that's a considerable difference.

For the Keys, I've heard that Marathon is the very likely location for a Supercharger...It's even listed at Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club Wiki. Marathon to Plantation is 132 miles, a nice spacing between Superchargers.

Marathon, FL to 813 S University Dr, Plantation, FL 33324 - Google Maps

I can tell you to go from here (Plantation) to the Keys is very easy. I went to Key West last week and made it with charge to spare. Marathon would be ideal for a SC location. The 60's could easily make that from here. As has been noted by many owners, the Keys have few charging options, let alone high speed charging options at the moment. I used the HPWC at the Eco-Discovery Center right at the end of the island by Fort Zachery park. Despite what the sign beside the charger says, they are only open 9-4pm Tues - Sat. The charger is not available outside these hours.

10351171_10204127266354654_2326511247288757264_n.jpg

Of course, my disappointment doesn't mean that I'm not thankful...even though the likelihood of ever using this supercharger is slim to none for those of us in Miami. Can't say it enough how thankful I was for the Brandon Supercharger on my roadtrip last week. Without it, I would have been inconvenienced big time.

On a separate note, I think Streamsong is blowing smoke. I spoke to the marketing contact Bonnie and I had discussed who claimed he'd put me in touch with engineering prior to my arrival. Never happened. When I arrived they were fumbling all over themselves and I ended up charging on 110V at 3 mi/hr. The guys on the walkies were even joking about electric cars. Idiotic stuff. It worked out, only because I used the Brandon charger earlier that day. Also the marketing contact said they haven't made any progress on installing the HPWC. Maybe you'll get a different response. If it weren't for the two fantastic golf courses, I'd recommend us EV owners steer clear until they value our business and address the fact that they are in the middle of nowhere!

I just stayed at the Streamsong about a month ago and questioned them on when they would be installing ANY kind of eletric chargers. I was given the runaround and the okie doke. Nobody knew ANYTHING... Thank God I drove my ICE or else I would have been there for an extra day to charge... Beautiful resort in the true definition of the boonies ( I saw a woman and her daughter herding geese and chickens in their front yard - pretty sure I heard banjo music...). I would def go back but only if they became EV friendly... PS - they have skeet shooting at the resort!!