Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a separate note, I think Streamsong is blowing smoke. I spoke to the marketing contact Bonnie and I had discussed who claimed he'd put me in touch with engineering prior to my arrival. Never happened. When I arrived they were fumbling all over themselves and I ended up charging on 110V at 3 mi/hr. The guys on the walkies were even joking about electric cars. Idiotic stuff. It worked out, only because I used the Brandon charger earlier that day. Also the marketing contact said they haven't made any progress on installing the HPWC. Maybe you'll get a different response. If it weren't for the two fantastic golf courses, I'd recommend us EV owners steer clear until they value our business and address the fact that they are in the middle of nowhere!

I just stayed at the Streamsong about a month ago and questioned them on when they would be installing ANY kind of eletric chargers. I was given the runaround and the okie doke. Nobody knew ANYTHING... Thank God I drove my ICE or else I would have been there for an extra day to charge... Beautiful resort in the true definition of the boonies ( I saw a woman and her daughter herding geese and chickens in their front yard - pretty sure I heard banjo music...). I would def go back but only if they became EV friendly... PS - they have skeet shooting at the resort!!

I know that a Tesla representative has been in contact wtih the Streamsong Resort. It would be wise if Streamsong returned their calls.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

For the Keys, I've heard that Marathon is the very likely location for a Supercharger...It's even listed at Supercharger Progress - Tesla Motors Club Wiki. Marathon to Plantation is 132 miles, a nice spacing between Superchargers.

Marathon, FL to 813 S University Dr, Plantation, FL 33324 - Google Maps

Yes, I have it on good authority that Tesla is pursuing a Marathon Supercharger location even though it is not yet on the Tesla dot map.

Larry

The proposed location of the 8 Supercharger stalls is in the south end of the Chilli's Bar & Grill parking lot at 813 South University Drive, Plantation, FL 33324.
Larry
That really sounds like a poor spot. A maze to get in there plus ever park near a Chili's? it will always be an ICE problem. Poor choice in my opinion as people on road trips will be frustrated upon arrival.
Better off would be the Tower shopping center on the South East side of 595 and University. Plenty of parking. Plenty of restaurants that have their own parking lots and plenty of shopping.
That may be Town of Davie. So if Plantation doesn't work maybe there. The entrance on and off would be easier as well.

With all the freeways we have in South Florida, that's where they're looking to put it? Not a smart idea. It only has access to I-595. So people coming from West Coast have to go at least 10 miles out of their way to supercharge before heading to FL Keys. People coming from the North on the Turnpike or I-95 have to get off and go out of their way to supercharge before getting back on the road to the FL Keys or West Coast. Maybe it's just me but this doesn't make sense?

It's extremely close to the Turnpike. I would argue as close as it could possibly be, considering there are no rest stops between Pompano and Kendall. It is a good location for those coming from the North and going to the Keys. It's not great for people coming from the west, but it would be hard to satisfy both people coming from the west and north. You'd have to do Weston, which for some reason was decided against. In any case, this has been hashed out endlessly in this very thread.

Lots of detail on what they will discuss at the meeting tomorrow on this document:

http://agenda.plantation.org/pub/AttachmentViewer.aspx?AttachmentID=7234&ItemID=4870

Lots of details in there on any issues the city might have with the Supercharger and stipulations made by Tesla. One I found interesting is:

1. Telsa agrees to the following:
    a. The designated charging parking spaces are not “reserved” for Tesla vehicles.

I guess stipulations like this explain some of the difference in signage we've seen at different supercharger sites.

Here is the agenda for the meeting:

http://agenda.plantation.org/pub/DisplayAgendaPDF.ashx?MeetingID=303

I guess stipulations like this explain some of the difference in signage we've seen at different supercharger sites.

I believe Florida State law does allow ticketing of ICE cars parked in a clearly marked EV spot. Maybe if such language was added to the signs that would dissuade an ICE driver from doing that? I'll be there tomorrow as part of "Duffy's Gang" to find out.

I just read the link pgiralt provided. Wow what a lot of red tape to go through. Ithanks Tesla even more for what they have to go through to build the supercharges. I couldn't believe all the details there yet the town doesn't know East Versus West in the title location. 1/4 mile East of University? Lol
Located 300+ feet behind Chili's relieves my concern of getting ICEd from Chili's patrons.

The spaces not reserved for Tesla vehicles statement can be taken as Tesla can't restrict their use to only Tesla vehicles. Perhaps in the future other brands with the open patent information will be using them.
Florida law would still prevail for being illegal to park there while not actively charging. Problem is from reading the statute it is up to each individual municipality what the fine or action may be. Something that may want to be asked at the meeting if the town has made a plan regarding enforcing the statute and whether the Plantation Police would be ticketing non charging vehicles.
Sorry I can't make it. I'm out in CA now. Good luck to those going tonight. Please post some notes afterwards.
Mark

[FONT=&amp]Approved.

Just back from the Plantation, Florida Town Council meeting. Beau Whiteman from Tesla did an excellent presentation and a great job answering council members' questions about Superchargers and Tesla in general. His plan was approved by the council. It will be in the south end of The Fountains parking lot adjacent to the 10th St. entrance, 1/4 mi west of University Dr.[/FONT]

Last edited:
[FONT=&]Approved.

Just back from the Plantation, Florida Town Council meeting. Beau Whiteman from Tesla did an excellent presentation and a great job answering council members' questions about Superchargers and Tesla in general. His plan was approved by the council. It will be in the south end of The Fountains parking lot adjacent to the 10th St. entrance, 1/4 mi west of University Dr.[/FONT]

Great news, and thanks to all of you who showed up and gave support to the Tesla presenter!!! Town council meetings are often about who shows up...

Beau Whiteman giving his presentation to the Council members. Great job Beau...

IMG_20141022_203225.jpg

Great job for those showing up to lend their support. Glad Tesla cares enough to present at these types of meetings. They are quite tedious and can easily go off on a tangent based on one little comment. Glad it was approved and the permitting process can begin.

Wow!

California meets old-school. Notice who is wearing jacket and tie, vs who is wearing jeans...

I can't remember when I have seen jacket and tie at a local Colorado council, board, etc. meeting.

Funny how you note that this council is pretty much opposite of a Colorado one. One of the items on the agenda before ours was a local law PROHIBITING the medical use of marijuana, even if the statewide referendum passes. It was unanimously approved by this lovely group you see. This was after having to sit through one of our lovely citizen's hysterical grandstanding about how marijuana is going to ruin the world. If not for the fact that this was before the vote on our item, I would have had a few things to say.

Funny how you note that this council is pretty much opposite of a Colorado one. One of the items on the agenda before ours was a local law PROHIBITING the medical use of marijuana, even if the statewide referendum passes. It was unanimously approved by this lovely group you see. This was after having to sit through one of our lovely citizen's hysterical grandstanding about how marijuana is going to ruin the world. If not for the fact that this was before the vote on our item, I would have had a few things to say.

[Risk of Off Topic]

Here in Sarasota County also. They're busy drafting a law to prevent pharmacies from dispensing medical marijuana and preventing dedicated marijuana dispensaries from selling or providing application devices such as pipes, bongs etc. (Apparently our County Commissioners never heard of eating the stuff). :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, in the City of Sarasota the Commission has drafted an ordinance requiring marijuana dispensaries to be a minimum 1/2 mile from any school, place of worship, bar, restaurant or public (I.e. Govt.) building. In other words,: nowhere within city limits. :rolleyes:

Ha, just realized the parallel with Tesla's efforts to sell in certain states.....

[/Off Topic]

Last edited: