Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Plantation, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Larry I admire your organization immensely. I wish we could do the same in Tenn. As a tourist I will be using this SC 4 times in the next 6 months. Can you publish a link to push FPL. I would be happy to push and I expect your folks would do the same.

Larry I admire your organization immensely. I wish we could do the same in Tenn. As a tourist I will be using this SC 4 times in the next 6 months. Can you publish a link to push FPL. I would be happy to push and I expect your folks would do the same.

I appreciate the kind words. However, I'm not sure what you mean by publishing a link to push FPL. From my dealings with FPL management I'm sure they want this station operational as much as we do. Just because they haven't set the transformer yet doesn't automatically mean that they are the hold up. Utilities need to obtain permits too and getting through the permitting process in Plantation has been a unique experience to say the least. I am not comfortable jumping to conclusions I and wouldn't want to encourage our membership to do so either.

Larry

A member on the TESLA FLORIDA Facebook page reported that "I just got off the phone with Dania Beach. It's finished and just waiting for the power grid to be switched on. They don't know who went and removed the Yellow tape that used to cordon off the location but they're going to let the SuperCharger team know."

Our photos here on Nov 3rd indicate that the tape was removed some time ago.

Back on Oct 13 we received the following report:

Not that I'm sceptical concerning the accuracy of Dania Beach's information, but...:biggrin:

Can a local member please swing by the location and confirm whether the power transformer has even been set?

Thanks.

Larry

A few minutes ago Dan reported that there is no transformer and no activity from prior visits.

Larry

In light of the fact that the end of 2014 is less than four months away, I've created this thread to discuss all aspects of the upcoming Miami (area) Supercharger that is planned to come online by the end of 2014**

Here is an animated gif of the Supercharger map's three screens (open now, coming soon and 2014).
View attachment 58841

Please share as much information as possible so the community of EV enthusiasts in Florida and beyond can stay informed. Thanks!

** According to Tesla Motors.

Isn't this post from 2014 comical? In that it's almost the end of 2015 and we still have no Southeast Florida Supercharger.

Meanwhile the entire Kingsland, GA supercharger was built from scratch and is supposed to come online tomorrow in the time since this one was completed. Sigh...

That's the City of Plantation for you! Honestly, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea could have extended an olive branch to Tesla to get a Supercharger installed around the beach for the east side of Broward County and eventually, Plantation would have opened up giving Broward County two options!

That's the City of Plantation for you! Honestly, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea could have extended an olive branch to Tesla to get a Supercharger installed around the beach for the east side of Broward County and eventually, Plantation would have opened up giving Broward County two options!

There's no doubt that Plantation has been a major impediment. However, at this point, I think there is plenty of blame to go around--Plantation, Tesla, and FPL.

A general lack of intensity seems to surround this project. Even after Plantation gave Tesla the permit and got the inspectors out of the way, it took a long time before construction began. The actual construction took seven weeks start to finish. In two days, it will be an additional seven weeks since the construction was complete, and FPL hasn't even started to connect the power.

Permit problem, again? Maybe. Did the construction have to be complete before we started on the power connection? It's almost like, "Oh, yeah, electricity. Forgot about that." I'm sure there are things we don't understand, but we are left to guess because information is hard to get. What little we have gotten has been grossly inaccurate.

The apparent lackadaisical attitude on getting this done is troubling, especially considering it is the only supercharging "hole" left in Florida. I'm starting to have my doubts it will operational by the end of the year . . .

Auger, true it hasn't gone as quickly as everyone would have hoped once Plantation gave Tesla a green light, but seven weeks is not that bad to get a team out there and do a build b/c they may have been engaged elsewhere in the country. The construction team may have had to find an open install slot to get the crew there. It still pales in comparison to how long it took just to get to the construction phase.

I dropped by the SC site this afternoon and there is activity! It appears they are digging the foundation for the transformer pad and probably laying the power line to it but they had no idea when FPL would be out to hook it up. I didn't see the transformer itself anywhere though.

Credit for this belongs to Daniel Pearson of the TESLA FLORIDA website, who wrote today, at 2:43PM:

"You saw it here first. Activity at the Plantation SCr. The contractors are preparing to put the transformer in but have no idea when FPL will be out to hook it up.

SnapNDrag0702.jpg

SnapNDrag0703.jpg