Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MiC LR Fog Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So in summary for a newbie please, if I am driving with my dipped beam (not full beam) headlights on, can I turn on front fog lights via the screen? And is this also possible via voice command “turn fog lights on”?

Previous cars I’ve had you could only get front fogs on if the lights were on. You also had the independent option on putting on rear and or front.

How do you activate the fogs in the Tesla M3LR 21 mic in the uk?

Do the prevailing conditions also have to be foggy as deemed by the car?

Off top of my head, so may not be 100% as I don't use 'side' lights. For clarity, I will use the term daylight running/signature lights, side lights (Tesla occasionally call these parking lights), dipped beam (normal nighttime lights) and main beam (occasional use).

As with ordinary cars, front fog lights can be turned on with side lights, dipped or main beam. Rear fog lights can be used in dipped or main beam. Neither fot lights are active, or rear lights for that matter, with daylight running lights.

However, the car will always revert to auto lights (not auto main beam which is transitioning in its default setting atm) at the start of every drive. So unless you override, the car will control the dipped beam. There are manual settings for side lights and dipped beam but you need to select these at start of every drive, or as you need them, ie driving in fog when it may be bright enough for the car not to recognise you need lights, but you need lights as its foggy.

As a result, if you are in auto mode and you turn on fog lights, the car will I believe turn them off when it thinks it does not need to turn the lights on.

Auto mode also reverts when you get out of the car, so you cannot actually get out and look to see if your fog lights are on if its light as by the time you get to look at them, the car has reverted to auto and turned them off!

Another thing that needs a bit more concentration, is that turning fog lights needs to be done after navigating through a couple of steps on the main screen. So turn them on before you need them in anger - not always possible with the nature of fog. Last time I checked, there was no voice command for fog lights, and even if there was, voice control is not the most reliable if you desperately need it to work.

hth

Reactions: Katic1972
Off top of my head, so may not be 100% as I don't use 'side' lights. For clarity, I will use the term daylight running/signature lights, side lights (Tesla occasionally call these parking lights), dipped beam (normal nighttime lights) and main beam (occasional use).

As with ordinary cars, front fog lights can be turned on with side lights, dipped or main beam. Rear fog lights can be used in dipped or main beam. Neither fot lights are active, or rear lights for that matter, with daylight running lights.

However, the car will always revert to auto lights (not auto main beam which is transitioning in its default setting atm) at the start of every drive. So unless you override, the car will control the dipped beam. There are manual settings for side lights and dipped beam but you need to select these at start of every drive, or as you need them, ie driving in fog when it may be bright enough for the car not to recognise you need lights, but you need lights as its foggy.

As a result, if you are in auto mode and you turn on fog lights, the car will I believe turn them off when it thinks it does not need to turn the lights on.

Auto mode also reverts when you get out of the car, so you cannot actually get out and look to see if your fog lights are on if its light as by the time you get to look at them, the car has reverted to auto and turned them off!

Another thing that needs a bit more concentration, is that turning fog lights needs to be done after navigating through a couple of steps on the main screen. So turn them on before you need them in anger - not always possible with the nature of fog. Last time I checked, there was no voice command for fog lights, and even if there was, voice control is not the most reliable if you desperately need it to work.

hth
Polish_20211020_122647468.png

So in summary for a newbie please, if I am driving with my dipped beam (not full beam) headlights on, can I turn on front fog lights via the screen? And is this also possible via voice command “turn fog lights on”?

At present there is no voice control for lights, though it's possible this may change in the future with a software update (certainly something that I would appreciate).

At present there is no voice control for lights, though it's possible this may change in the future with a software update (certainly something that I would appreciate).
I completely agree with you - having voice commands to turn off and on the various lights, including main beam and fog lights, would be the most useful feature Tesla could add in a future software update, in my opinion. Even without fog, I find there are driving conditions where it is so cloudy (I live in Scotland after all!) that I want the auto lights to turn on, but the car disagrees with my assessment of how dark it is. I use voice commands regularly and find that these days they now work fairly well most of the time (YMMV).
It would also be useful if Tesla gave us a slider on the driving control panel to adjust the sensitivity with which the lights on auto turn on - that would allow you to change how it responds depending on where you are driving and at different times of year etc.
Maybe Tesla engineers based in California don't think of this.
If anyone here is buddies with Elon, can you please drop him a line and suggest he give us these features for a Christmas update?

Even without fog, I find there are driving conditions where it is so cloudy (I live in Scotland after all!) that I want the auto lights to turn on, but the car disagrees with my assessment of how dark it is.

This just shows how individual we can be ... I find that the auto lights come on too readily! Given that the car is showing its "day lights" all the time I rarely want them to come on during the day. During the summer I found it irritating that the lights would come on several times during a journey in bright sunshine when perhaps driving past a few trees for example. As a result I got into the habit of routinely switching them off manually at the beginning of every drive. Changing the setting manually requires a screen click to bring up the "quick controls" and then tapping the "off" and tapping to get rid of the settings screen ... really unnecessary ... 3 taps and one of them is a stretch across the screen. Given that when they are on there is a lights graphic on the near edge of the screen you would think a single click on that should do the job. Voice control and a sensitivity variable would be welcome too.

Reactions: Yachtsman
It would also be useful if Tesla gave us a slider on the driving control panel to adjust the sensitivity with which the lights on auto turn on - that would allow you to change how it responds depending on where you are driving and at different times of year etc.

+1
I’d also like a OFF for the wipers I.E. OFF l. ll. lll. AUTO
So that I don’t have to use a voice command.