Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read this thread and am unsure what to think. I want to buy new tires for an EV I'm ordering (non-Tesla), and want it all. I have had CC2's on a RAV4 Prime and Acura RDX and loved them on both. I currently have PS AS 4's on my Volvo C40, and they are pretty good, as well. It snows here, it ices up, etc. and I want a tire that can handle it. Has anyone driven somewhat worn AS 4's in snow/ice? I am getting identical efficiency with AS 4's as I did the OEM Volvo Pirelli Elect Zero tires, FWIW. I measure efficiency by battery %. I have an 80mi commute, and my % upon arriving home didn't change by even 1%, averaged over similar weather for a few weeks. A 10*f temperature shift "matters more" than the difference.

That said, I have not driven the AS 4's in anything but nice weather, and rain. They handle both just fine. My CC2's were a TANK on my Prime and RDX in the winter.

Also to consider, the speed is only 149mph on the CC2's. Will this cause warranty or other issues if something goes wrong (presuming UNDER that speed cap...)?

Also to consider, the speed is only 149mph on the CC2's. Will this cause warranty or other issues if something goes wrong (presuming UNDER that speed cap...)?
I've never understood the concern about tire speed rating for most people. My truck tires are rated for a whopping 87 MPH. Tire speed rating is for continuous high speed driving. My Quatrac Pros are rated for 186, but I would have been perfectly happy with a 120 MPH (h rating) tire.

If I ever go to the track, I'll hit 115 or so for a split second at the end of the 1/4 mile. My tires will never even hit 100 MPH on the street. Anything more than an H rating is useless to me, and I suspect the same holds true for the majority of drivers.

MY-Y: I believe higher speed ratings indicative a stronger carcass, bead, tread stability, which should mean better balance, longevity.
The sidewall is stronger for sure, which is usually synonymous with good steering response. A harsher ride seems to be a likely downside though.
Higher speed tires usually have a shorter tread life (as seen in the warranty mileage). This may be due to other factors though.

Reactions: Pianewman
I do not have CC2 with MYLR but I had them installed on my 2015 Lexus CT200h and sold the car after 6 months when I got MYLR. IMO, keep in mind that CC2 tires were specified as "snow tires?". They are good tires but if U want something "less rough" than those of your current tires than CC2 is not it
My-2cents
We have them on our Honda Pilot and my wife loves them. I'm hearing that they are louder than OEM. I'm assuming they handle much worse than the MYP Pilot Sport All-Seasons, but want to hear more reviews on them. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do for winter. One possible option is going from my 21s to 19 CC2s. I used to swap out wheels/snow tires myself years ago and would rather not deal with that hassle.

I had a 22 MYLR that had the rough ride, but the 23 MYP is only rough in very limited circumstances.

Thanks.

Does anyone have experience with the CC2's in 245/50/R19? (28.6" vs 28" on stock 255/45/R19) Any rubbing on the 19" gemini wheels?

I was hoping to size up to 255/50/R19 for even bigger sidewall but the CC2's aren't available in that size.