Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love tire talk, with all the opinions and experiences. The bottom line is always; YMMV!!!

I just spoke at length with a store manager of a very large dealer of a national chain. HE claims that Pirellis consistently need to be replaced WAY BEFORE any "projected" lifetime miles. He also claims he has seen a lot of (what he calls) dry rot.

FWIW, this is in the DFW region, extreme summer temps, mild winters.

YMMV.
Interesting. I was a Michelin man for 25 years but I started to look at other brands when my Michelins started to last only half of their rated tread life. Of course, the quoted tread life is usually with regard to their smallest tire size that fits on a lighter car. Heavier vehicles with larger wheel sizes are going to put greater stress on tires of any brand.

I started switching to the Pirelli P7 because that tire was getting rave reviews on the Lexus LS 430/460 forum for providing exceptional ride quality and quietness. I haven’t had any dry rot nor any issues at all with the original P7 Cinturato AS Plus on two Lexuses and a Model S. My range on the Model S with the Pirellis also exceeded EPA efficiency and that is why I plan to get the latest version of the Pirelli P7 for our Model Y at the next tire change interval. The P7 Plus 3 hasn’t had any customer reviews on TireRack but the website itself reviewed and rated the tire highly. I will report back real world experience but it won’t be for another 2-3 months.

Reactions: beemerphile
Interesting. I was a Michelin man for 25 years but I started to look at other brands when my Michelins started to last only half of their rated tread life. Of course, the quoted tread life is usually with regard to their smallest tire size that fits on a lighter car. Heavier vehicles with larger wheel sizes are going to put greater stress on tires of any brand.

I started switching to the Pirelli P7 because that tire was getting rave reviews on the Lexus LS 430/460 forum for providing exceptional ride quality and quietness. I haven’t had any dry rot nor any issues at all with the original P7 Cinturato AS Plus on two Lexuses and a Model S. My range on the Model S with the Pirellis also exceeded EPA efficiency and that is why I plan to get the latest version of the Pirelli P7 for our Model Y at the next tire change interval. The P7 Plus 3 hasn’t had any customer reviews on TireRack but the website itself reviewed and rated the tire highly. I will report back real world experience but it won’t be for another 2-3 months.
Untitled.jpg
$343.50 per tire? Really

stay far away from pirellis freaking consistently awful tires. it amazes me that anyone buys anything other than Michelins or Contis. i cant wait to throw my new rims and 275/40/20 squared PS 4 all seasons on it. Tires have a break in period . You will see a little more energy use at first.

• Disagree
Reactions: FlyerDude
View attachment 814915 $343.50 per tire? Really
That is interesting, @CMPT PAD . I don't know if that's the original version of the Cinturato P7, but I had the original Cinturato P7 Plus on three cars and still have it on the Lexus LS 430 and it is most definitely a Grand Touring tire. TireRack.com shows the latest version as still Grand Touring category, and for $250 per tire:

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 10.33.53 AM.png

Last edited:
stay far away from pirellis freaking consistently awful tires. it amazes me that anyone buys anything other than Michelins or Contis. i cant wait to throw my new rims and 275/40/20 squared PS 4 all seasons on it. Tires have a break in period . You will see a little more energy use at first.
I am open to trying Continentals as the OEM ContiSports were great on our Model S with 21" wheels. I used Michelins exclusively for decades but they're not what they used to be and don't last any longer than the competition. I haven't been particularly impressed with the Michelin Premier we still have on my wife's Lexus, not to mention that tire starts out with only 8.5/32nd tread. I haven't had any issues with Pirellis on two other Lexuses and a Model S. I still think Michelin makes a good tire but I no longer consider them head and shoulders above the competition.

That is interesting, @CMPT PAD . I don't know if that's the original version of the Cinturato P7, but I had the original Cinturato P7 Plus on three cars and still have it on the Lexus LS 430 and it is most definitely a Grand Touring tire. TireRack.com shows the latest version as still Grand Touring category, and for $250 per tire:

View attachment 815031
Cinturato P7 vs. P7 AS PLUS 3? I don't know the difference. I never had PIRELLI so I don't know anything about this brand. Since the names are different I have to assume they are different tires hence price difference.
BTW....I like Lexus 430, almost bought it but I went with MB E-320 and it's still a tank, very reliable after 26 yrs. Now I try MYLR, not here yet

Cinturato P7 vs. P7 AS PLUS 3? I don't know the difference. I never had PIRELLI so I don't know anything about this brand. Since the names are different I have to assume they are different tires hence price difference.
BTW....I like Lexus 430, almost bought it but I went with MB E-320 and it's still a tank, very reliable after 26 yrs. Now I try MYLR, not here yet
My Dad now drives my old LS 430 and it still is the quietest ICE car I’ve owned, quieter than my later LS 460. My Dad almost went to the MB side about 25 years ago but Lexus was more willing to negotiate at the time between an ES 330 and E320. Ever since then we’ve been exclusively a Lexus family with two each of ES, RX, and LS before moving onto Tesla.

Pirelli is also an established tire company, but maybe without the marketing clout of Michelin. They dropped the Cinturato name from the P7 line, but to my knowledge it has always been a grand touring tire line with focus on comfort and efficiency. I have never seen the Cinturato P7/just P7 marketed as performance, let alone ultra high performance, until I saw your screenshot. For the past 6-7 years the Cinturato P7 has been the de facto tire recommendation from the LS faithful in the ClubLexus forum and you know that segment values ride quality above all else.

Edit: Ah, it looks like Pirelli separated out the Cinturato as a performance-oriented tier. Years ago, the first version was called Cinturato P7 AS Plus. Today the P7 AS Plus 3 is their grand touring tire.

Last edited:
My Dad now drives my old LS 430 and it still is the quietest ICE car I’ve owned, quieter than my later LS 460. My Dad almost went to the MB side about 25 years ago but Lexus was more willing to negotiate at the time between an ES 330 and E320. Ever since then we’ve been exclusively a Lexus family with two each of ES, RX, and LS before moving onto Tesla.

Pirelli is also an established tire company, but maybe without the marketing clout of Michelin. They dropped the Cinturato name from the P7 line, but to my knowledge it has always been a grand touring tire line with focus on comfort and efficiency. I have never seen the Cinturato P7/just P7 marketed as performance, let alone ultra high performance, until I saw your screenshot. For the past 6-7 years the Cinturato P7 has been the de facto tire recommendation from the LS faithful in the ClubLexus forum and you know that segment values ride quality above all else.

Edit: Ah, it looks like Pirelli separated out the Cinturato as a performance-oriented tier. Years ago, the first version was called Cinturato P7 AS Plus. Today the P7 AS Plus 3 is their grand touring tire.

Once you test Pirelli P7ASPlus 3 with your Tesla we would like to know your opinon
I am going to put Michelin CC2 on my wife's Lexus CT200h next week. Will share with U guys/girls my experience with CC2. Granted it's not an apple to apple comparison vs. on Tesla but ....

Reactions: FatherTo1
I’ve been reading all these comments on these forms and I’m really confused as to what tires are the best. Some people say Michelin‘s are the best others are saying that they are no longer in first place so I’m really trying to understand which brand gives you the most bang for your buck. I just got my Tesla model Y performance so I’m really trying to budget for new tires and potentially new wheels but I need help figuring out which brand and model of tire I should get.

I love tire talk, with all the opinions and experiences. The bottom line is always; YMMV!!!

I just spoke at length with a store manager of a very large dealer of a national chain. HE claims that Pirellis consistently need to be replaced WAY BEFORE any "projected" lifetime miles. He also claims he has seen a lot of (what he calls) dry rot.

FWIW, this is in the DFW region, extreme summer temps, mild winters.

YMMV.
One of the rare times when YMMV is used literally!😃

I’ve been reading all these comments on these forms and I’m really confused as to what tires are the best. Some people say Michelin‘s are the best others are saying that they are no longer in first place so I’m really trying to understand which brand gives you the most bang for your buck. I just got my Tesla model Y performance so I’m really trying to budget for new tires and potentially new wheels but I need help figuring out which brand and model of tire I should get.
I don’t think you can go wrong with either Michelin, Continental, or Pirelli. They’re all good and competitive in their respective tire categories. I still think Michelin is good, just not superior to their peers. Great to have more choices that are all good.

I install tires on the side. The one thing I can say about Michelin is that they are always round.

They never have any road force variation worth mentioning, and look completely straight and true on the balancer. Pirellis I have installed sometimes show a bit of “hop” when spinning on the balancer.

In some cases, you get what you pay for with Michelin.

I install tires on the side. The one thing I can say about Michelin is that they are always round.

They never have any road force variation worth mentioning, and look completely straight and true on the balancer. Pirellis I have installed sometimes show a bit of “hop” when spinning on the balancer.

In some cases, you get what you pay for with Michelin.
Yep. Never been a fan of square tires!
1654957265560.png

Reactions: fiehlsport

View attachment 815031
I got these ordered to replace the Quiettracks. My efficiency did drop lower after almost 1,000 miles but only dropped to what I got with the 21in rims. Getting them put on Saturday.