Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before next winter comes, I'd like to switch from the OEM 19" Continental to Michelin Cross Climate 2. Unfortunately, the exact same size isn't available.

I've also noticed that 235/50-R19 is available. Compare to the stock 245/45-R19, the diameter difference is only +1%, similar XL rating and this tire is V-rated. Narrower tire is not a minus for me, since that would give me better winter traction and hydroplaning at the cost of dry traction (which I don't care as much).

Given this, what is the expectation if I switch from the stock Continental to this particular tire?

Ride? Noise? Longevity? Range impact?

I don't know if this is actually the case, but discount tire says the CC2 in 255/45r19's are coming in April:
I've heard that too. One local store thinks it will become available but compare to 235/50-R19, he quoted $400 higher for the set!

He wasn't able to give any dates either.

Plus, there's actually some pros in going with narrower tires, hence the question....

I've heard that too. One local store thinks it will become available but compare to 235/50-R19, he quoted $400 higher for the set!

He wasn't able to give any dates either.

Plus, there's actually some pros in going with narrower tires, hence the question....
Makes sense. Unfortunately, I can't help with your question. However, I thought the stock tire was a 255 width and not a 245 - I guess I should check my tires.

Please report back if you get the 235/50/19 CC2. I still have some time and am waiting to hear more about the CC2 in stock size whenever it becomes available.

I am undecided between UHP (Pilot Sport AS 4 or ExtremeContact DWS 06 Plus) versus Grand Touring (CC2 or Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3).

I think either category tire will provide better ride, less noise, and (hopefully) last longer than the stock tires.

The Michelin web site is showing the "MICHELIN CrossClimate2 - 255/45R19/XL 104V XL BSW" is available for purchase!

Discount Tire is showing them being available May 2022. WooHoo!

I estimate I'll need tires by July and have narrowed it down now to the Continental DWS06 Plus and the CrossClimate 2 (pending more Model Y reviews).

It was difficult deciding between the DWS06 Plus and Turanza QuietTrack. They are different tire categories and I would normally go with Grand Touring but the OEM ProContact RX often makes me desire more grip/performance. I know the DWS06 Plus will most likely be less efficient than the Turanza QuietTrack, but the DWS06 Plus surprisingly weighs 5 pounds less per tire (27 lb vs 32 lb) so maybe that will negate some of the efficiency hit versus the QuietTrack. Hoping to read more about people's experience with the CrossClimate 2. Right now, the DWS06 Plus is my frontrunner come Summer.

Reactions: RNHurt
Nice. I just put a new 19" set of these on my CX-5. CX-5 will be sold/traded in when my MY arrives. I'd like to put a set of these on the MY and just set it and forget it. I get snow for a couple weeks a year and usually just have to drive a couple days in it. But I do have to climb a steep hill to my neighbourhood so have been saved by 4 season or previously Snow tires before. But most of the time I'm dealing with torrential rain and so far these CC2s on the CX5 are very nice.

I have those sitting in my garage for the Model Y. I'm going to swap them with the current Conti tires in late Autumn.

I have experience with CC2s on my existing X3 and they were quite positive. Not as good in winter as X-Ice series but good enough and no need to find place to store 4 additional tires is a big advantage. I suspect it will perform better in winter conditions compare to Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4.

I don't need to worry about driving down south during winter without tire swap!

Also, these tires were getting a bit too heavy for me to load and unload.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Are those better than Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4?
If you are expecting Snow or cold temps then yes. They have Snowflake icon like a true Winter tire but they aren't as hardcore as a true winter tire. AS4 should be more of a 3 season tire where as CC2s are a 4 season tire. They seem to have won most comparisons I watched on YT.

That said, I still can't find a listing for the MY size in Canada and not even on Michelin Canada but do see them on Michelin US. They do not show up as an option for Model Y but do show if searched by tire size.

If you are expecting Snow or cold temps then yes. They have Snowflake icon like a true Winter tire but they aren't as hardcore as a true winter tire. AS4 should be more of a 3 season tire where as CC2s are a 4 season tire. They seem to have won most comparisons I watched on YT.

That said, I still can't find a listing for the MY size in Canada and not even on Michelin Canada but do see them on Michelin US. They do not show up as an option for Model Y but do show if searched by tire size.
Correct.

They didn't show up as an option for model Y since it is only a V speed rating tire.

You can safely drive them at 149mph.

However stock model Y 19 Gemini tires are W rated. 168mph.

I'd say I will never drive higher than 120mph.

We just had our 2021 MYLR changed to the CrossClimate 2. We didn't like the stock tires and had been contemplating a change, and then a couple of weeks ago, a humongous chunk of metal in one of the stock tires accelerated the decision, lol. I took the car to Discount Tire as I had heard a lot of good things about them on this forum, and I agree - they were fantastic. We talked about several options, but the CrossClimate 2 were the quickest ones available. Ordered on a Friday afternoon, tires were shipped in from out of town by that Monday, and we had the car back by 3 pm Monday.

I have had the Y on a medium-range and a long-range road trip since the change. I don't have hard numbers to compare for efficiency, but subjectively, there is either no range loss at all or perhaps a couple of percent at worst. The ride seems a little bit softer compared to the stock tires, which is a positive for us. Road noise is the same or a bit better. Performance on very wet roads has been excellent. Obviously won't be any snow for a while to try out that aspect.

TL;DR: two thumbs up so far.

We just had our 2021 MYLR changed to the CrossClimate 2. We didn't like the stock tires and had been contemplating a change, and then a couple of weeks ago, a humongous chunk of metal in one of the stock tires accelerated the decision, lol. I took the car to Discount Tire as I had heard a lot of good things about them on this forum, and I agree - they were fantastic. We talked about several options, but the CrossClimate 2 were the quickest ones available. Ordered on a Friday afternoon, tires were shipped in from out of town by that Monday, and we had the car back by 3 pm Monday.

I have had the Y on a medium-range and a long-range road trip since the change. I don't have hard numbers to compare for efficiency, but subjectively, there is either no range loss at all or perhaps a couple of percent at worst. The ride seems a little bit softer compared to the stock tires, which is a positive for us. Road noise is the same or a bit better. Performance on very wet roads has been excellent. Obviously won't be any snow for a while to try out that aspect.

TL;DR: two thumbs up so far.
Thanks for sharing. What wheel size? Please post back with more efficiency numbers/comparison later. I am waiting to read more posts from others with the CC2. We probably won’t need new tires until August or Labor Day.