Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got these ordered to replace the Quiettracks. My efficiency did drop lower after almost 1,000 miles but only dropped to what I got with the 21in rims. Getting them put on Saturday.
@Dennis Walther , can you please clarify your post? Are you saying you’ve put on a set of the P7 Plus? If so, when you say “efficiency dropped” does that mean efficiency improved or got worse? Also, how were the Quiettracks? What made you not get them again?

Reactions: Pianewman
HUH??????? Sez WHO??????
This is basically how the tire industry works.
The only thing they recommend is the same spec as the stock tire, including size, loading, and speed.

Here the CrossClimate, in this particular one, is rated V-speed, not the stock W-speed rating.
So they won't recommend it to you. In case you go to W-speed (168mph), and the tire explodes, they won't be liable.

But they’ll still fit and work fine right?
The size is the same. The loading index is correct. Only the speed rating is lower.

FYI
Just installed 4 new Michelin CC2 at Costco. Previous tires at 41K , I figure I could go for another 5K but I can tell car skids on wet roads after rain so I don't want to take a chance. The treads of CC2 look aggressive, initial ride was great, will report more in the future. While there I took a couples pix on the counter just for fun, The guy at the counter said Costco have tires for Tesla and they also can get the tire pressure sensors for Tesla. So it's good to know
Michelin CrossClimate 2.jpg
20220616_122135.jpg
20220616_122106.jpg

Attachments

• 20220616_122106.jpg
    20220616_122106.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 20220616_122135.jpg
    20220616_122135.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 61
FYI
Just installed 4 new Michelin CC2 at Costco. Previous tires at 41K , I figure I could go for another 5K but I can tell car skids on wet roads after rain so I don't want to take a chance. The treads of CC2 look aggressive, initial ride was great, will report more in the future. While there I took a couples pix on the counter just for fun, The guy at the counter said Costco have tires for Tesla and they also can get the tire pressure sensors for Tesla. So it's good to know
View attachment 817433 View attachment 817436 View attachment 817442
What size rim do you have and what type of model Y?

29k miles.Michelin CrossClimate 2 installed, to replace OEM 255/45 - 19" ContiProContact (5/32" tread left, were surprisingly slick on dry pavement...back end would slide out while turning under moderate acceleration).

42psi all around.

Only 50 miles, so probably premature to post, but my initial impressions?

1) Noisier than the ContiProContacts over exposed aggregate concrete, Will this soften as the tires wear in?

2) NOT smoother over small cracks in the pavement...with a thicker tread (10/32") I was expecting it to be softer.

3) There's a subtle, but annoying, whine/hum at 75mph. Not loud, but still annoying. (The CC2 does have a rather aggressive tread.) By comparison, the OEM Contis were whisper quiet on most road surfaces, even up to 100mph. They were very smooth.

4) VERY WEIRD: I'm now hearing the low frequency rumble that I heard early on when the car was new, with the Contis. The rumble disappeared after 4-5k miles, and I had completely forgotten about it, but...it's now audible again. Will this go away as the tires break in?

Overall, I'm NOT impressed. Sidewalls seem stiffer than the broken-in Contis, tread grumble is more pronounced on anything but smooth asphalt. I'm disappointed because the set of CC2s I just installed on our 2019 Avalon Hybrid (235/45 - 18") are amazingly quiet, soft and compliant, which was a HUGE improvement over the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440s.

This may be a perfect example of different characteristics of "identical" tires when comparing sizes and load ratings.

I'll drive some more tomorrow and post again after I've got a few hundred miles on them. I hope they improve a lot, because no one in my family but me likes riding in the Tesla on DFW rough concrete roads!

Last edited:
29k miles.Michelin CrossClimate 2 installed, to replace OEM 255/45 - 19" ContiProContact (5/32" tread left, were surprisingly slick on dry pavement...back end would slide out while turning under moderate acceleration).

42psi all around.

1) Noisier than the ContiProContacts over exposed aggregate concrete, Will this soften as the tires wear in?

2) NOT smoother over small cracks in the pavement...with a thicker tread (10/32") I was expecting it to be softer.

3) There's a subtle, but annoying, whine/hum at 75mph. Not loud, but still annoying. (The CC2 does have a rather aggressive tread.) By comparison, the OEM Contis were whisper quiet on most road surfaces, even up to 100mph. They were very smooth.

4) VERY WEIRD: I'm now hearing the low frequency rumble that I heard early on when the car was new, with the Contis. The rumble disappeared after 4-5k miles, and I had completely forgotten about it, but...it's now audible again. Will this go away as the tires break in?

Overall, I'm NOT impressed. Sidewalls seem stiffer than the broken-in Contis, tread grumble is more pronounced on anything but smooth asphalt. I'm disappointed because the set of CC2s I just installed on our 2019 Avalon Hybrid (235/45 - 18") are amazingly quiet, soft and compliant, which was a HUGE improvement over the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440s.

This may be a perfect example of different characteristics of "identical" tires when comparing sizes and load ratings.

I'll drive some more tomorrow and post again after I've got a few hundred miles on them. I hope they improve a lot, because no one in my family but me likes riding in the Tesla on DFW rough concrete roads!
Did you have an alignment done after installing the CC2?

Good point, but no. The Contis were wearing perfectly in every dimension, the car was tracking perfectly, zero input required while cruising at 75-80mph. Lifetime Wh/mi is at 284, and as the Contis wore, Wh/mi was improving. Most days, mix of h/c between Fort Worth and Dallas, I've been getting 260-265wh/mi.

I didn't mention that the 50 miles with the new CC2s, Wh/mi bumped up to 305-310, but I'm trusting it will drop. The first few miles on the Avalon, MPG was 37-38, then increased to 42-43 after a couple of hundred miles.

I'll take it to the shop that did the MPP coilover install and have them check it out.

Reactions: RNHurt
Good point, but no. The Contis were wearing perfectly in every dimension, the car was tracking perfectly, zero input required while cruising at 75-80mph. Lifetime Wh/mi is at 284, and as the Contis wore, Wh/mi was improving. Most days, mix of h/c between Fort Worth and Dallas, I've been getting 260-265wh/mi.

I didn't mention that the 50 miles with the new CC2s, Wh/mi bumped up to 305-310, but I'm trusting it will drop. The first few miles on the Avalon, MPG was 37-38, then increased to 42-43 after a couple of hundred miles.

I'll take it to the shop that did the MPP coilover install and have them check it out.
Once you have had a chance to balance the wheels, break in the CC2 you can experiment with the tire pressure. Many go with dropping the tire pressure from the recommended 42 PSI but after experimenting, driving I prefer to set the tire pressure of the OE Procontact RX to 44 PSI. (Sometimes you have to go opposite.)

Yeesh, that’s at least a 15% early hit to efficiency. Thanks for sharing. I usually do an alignment with new tires but yours don’t sound like it’s off much. The CC2 wasn’t high on my list but I’m definitely not getting them now. Agreed that the CC2 tread pattern is too aggressive — great for snow traction that I won’t ever utilize.

Reactions: RNHurt

42psi all around.

This is really disappointing. After 25k miles my stock Contis are really worn and will have to be replaced before winter (or a good rain). I was super excited to put on a set of CC2 but after reading this post I'm having major second thoughts. I don't experience much (if any) snow so the "Triple Peak" rating doesn't really mean much to me and I'm not too worried about possible range reduction,
but the CC2's are supposed to be great in ever other way.

@Pianewman please be sure to keep us updated! I have a couple of months until I pull the trigger. Maybe the CC2s will soften a bit. Then again, you said something about a custom suspension in another comment, so maybe that is a contributing factor. 🤔

Keep in mind: My experience is a single data point. The DFW region is brutal, aged uneven concrete slabs, old exposed (grumbly) aggregate concrete. Every car I've owned while living here shudders at times...Nissan Leaf, 2011 VW GTI, 2014 VW Passat, 2018 Ford Fusion, 2017 Ford CMax.

Our 2019 Avalon Hybrid is better, but still gets slammed once in a while. Kids' 2017 and 2018 Prius' handle the roads the best, but they bound and wallow like crazy sometimes.

RNHurt: My "custom suspension" is a "comfort" MountainPass Performance coilover setup, which I had installed to add control to the suspension, and to ADD comfort, NOT increase handling by stiffening the components. My Tesla suspension is softer and gentler than OEM.

Not to revel in your dissatisfaction @Pianewman , but I've not understood the mass-appeal of these tires among EV circles. They are in no way suited for EVs. It's good to finally see some honest negative feedback on them, instead of the universally positive remarks you usually see from people that aren't too knowledgeable about tires or cars.

The tread pattern of the CC2 is not one that is tuned for low-noise - you can tell just by looking at it :)

Not to revel in your dissatisfaction @Pianewman , but I've not understood the mass-appeal of these tires among EV circles. They are in no way suited for EVs. It's good to finally see some honest negative feedback on them, instead of the universally positive remarks you usually see from people that aren't too knowledgeable about tires or cars.

The tread pattern of the CC2 is not one that is tuned for low-noise - you can tell just by looking at it :)
I'm going to find out how it perform on my Y this winter too.

Personally, I'm not expecting miracles out of CC2 - it will be louder and it will not ride better than the OEMs. If those were my priorities, I would have gone with other tires. But, it will allow me to travel during the winter from -10C to +20C which will happen often in our case. Also not needing to store and lift heavy tires is surprisingly becoming a big advantage as I become older and weaker. 😄

It's definitely a niche product, especially for EVs where efficiency is much more important. On my previous X3, the performance was acceptable and offered much more convenience, so IMO, that was a good trade off. Hoping it will be the same for the Y.

If you don't mind storing tires and changing them, then there are much better options than CC2.

I TOTALLY agree. What has confused the discussion is the CC2 on our 2019 Avalon Hybrid are super quiet. THAT'S what convinced me to go against my 50 years of driving/tire experience and ignore the obvious...the aggressive tread pattern.

That's why I high-lighted my initial post: This may be a perfect example of different characteristics of "identical" tires when comparing sizes and load ratings.

I discussed this at length with TireRack AND Discount Tire. I'm now going to break them in and see if there's a significant change in stiffness, noise.

I'm not going to obsess over an efficiency reduction in the 3-5% range, especially if there's an improvement in dry traction over the OEM Contis, which simply slide when challenged. But 12-15%? Nope.

I'm phoning TireRack this morning to lodge my initial observations.

I just spoke with TireRack. My contact there said this is NOT the first complaint they've received about the noisiness of the CC2...in certain sizes!

60day full value credit (warranty), BUT...customer is required to replace with another Michelin (or Goodrich).

The only other Michelin AS tire is the Pilot Sport All Season 4, same load rating, higher speed rating. Will this mean a stiffer sidewall, and an even harsher ride?

What a pain.

Last edited:
Very good info. The Tesla size is XL load rating, perhaps your Avalon does not have that designation, and therefore it is a softer more pliable tire.

The Pilot Sport AS4 is probably the best all-season tire money can buy. I would guess that the ride is softer since it's their most premium tire, but is still an ultra-high performance AS, so the sidewall is more like the Pilot Sport 4. The treadwear is 540 vs 640, so that would generally point to it having a softer compound than the CC2. No doubt it will be quieter, though.

160 miles on the tires. DFW region, 98-102f ambient, zero wind. Drove every possible road surface, 45-100mph, long interstate sweepers. Challenged the tires a bit, thinking that a bit of wear on the sipes might calm things down a bit.

1) Sidewalls have softened a bit. Expansion cracks aren't nearly so harsh as during the first 50 miles. Zero balance or tracking issues.

2) The grumble/rumble on exposed aggregate is worse than any tire I've driven in the DFW region: Conti DWS, Michelin Primacy, Michelin Premier, Bridgestone Ecopias, This isn't acceptable.

3) When transitioning from exposed aggregate rumble to smooth asphalt, the tires start to sing/hum. This is annoying because usually that transition is a welcome relief, even when the rumble is minimal, I think we've all probably experienced that.

4) VERY grippy tires, on long sweepers, much stickier than the worn 4/32" ContiProContacts.

5) Efficiency? For the IDENTICAL 160 miles, on the OEM (worn) ProContacts, I would have achieved 260-270Wh/mi. CC2 range was 302-310.

I'm phoning TireRack and will order the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Hope my experience will be better.

*** The point of my posting is NOT to denigrate the CC2 tires. Just as with suspension stiffness, not all tires are appropriate in all regions, on all road surfaces.