Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really appreciate this discussion; this is all good information. We all don't have the same driving style or surfaces so "mileage may vary". I'm still willing to try the CC2s and I think my second choice would probably be the Pilot Sport AS4.

Thinking about what I want most out of tires is probably:
  1. Performance - I do get a bit spirited and the stock Contis are scary sometimes.
  2. Comfort / Quiet - I don't mind a "performance" ride but my mom and wife often complain about the ride in the MY.
  3. Efficiency - I rarely take long trips so I'm not too hung up on tracking Wh/mi. 🤷‍♂️

I really appreciate this discussion; this is all good information. We all don't have the same driving style or surfaces so "mileage may vary". I'm still willing to try the CC2s and I think my second choice would probably be the Pilot Sport AS4.

Thinking about what I want most out of tires is probably:
  1. Performance - I do get a bit spirited and the stock Contis are scary sometimes.
  2. Comfort / Quiet - I don't mind a "performance" ride but my mom and wife often complain about the ride in the MY.
  3. Efficiency - I rarely take long trips so I'm not too hung up on tracking Wh/mi. 🤷‍♂️
Good points on priorities. I am a comfort and efficiency nut but realistically we only roadtrip 3-4 times a year so I am starting to appreciate the argument that any range hit won’t be felt on a daily basis.

I am still torn between either the DWS06+/PS AS 4, or Pirelli P7 Plus 3. TireRack reviews are good for all three tires. I would like more grip than what the OEM ProContact RX offers, but I would probably appreciate a comfortable ride every time I drive the Y compared to the 10% of the time that I have the Y to myself and would really have fun with it.

Reactions: RNHurt
...and to add to my "single data point"...the DWS tires I purchased were 6-8 years ago. No doubt they've made some changes.

I think tire companies are like mattress manufacturers. There are constant design tweaks at every step, and the consumer never really knows if he/she is getting the identical tire that TireRack/Car & Driver have tested.

My experience reflects this. The CC2, 235/45-19 on the 2019 Avalon Hybrid is quiet. The CC2 255/45-19 on the 2021 Tesla MYLR is not.

...and to add to my "single data point"...the DWS tires I purchased were 6-8 years ago. No doubt they've made some changes.

I think tire companies are like mattress manufacturers. There are constant design tweaks at every step, and the consumer never really knows if he/she is getting the identical tire that TireRack/Car & Driver have tested.

My experience reflects this. The CC2, 235/45-19 on the 2019 Avalon Hybrid is quiet. The CC2 255/45-19 on the 2021 Tesla MYLR is not.
That reminds me of my experience with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+. At the time it was top-rated and everyone gushed about its attributes. I threw them on a Lexus LS 430 in 18” size and hated them. They were the first Michelin tires I absolutely hated and started my drift away from Michelin. Perhaps they were great tires but just on the wrong car for me. The AS 3+ was noisy, bumpy, and I didn’t feel like it gripped much better on the LS, and taking corners didn’t feel any different than my previous worn tires. They were just a complete disappointment for me.

I have made up my mind and will get the DWS06+ in August. I will be at about 21,500 miles at the one-year mark in August. Tires will be at or close to 4/32nd by then. Still some usable dry tread but I’m curious and willing to replace them slightly early to get a full-year, season-for-season comparison between the DWS06+ and ProContact RX.

Last edited:
Replaced the Michelin CC2 with the the 255/45ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 XL.

150 miles, 80/20 highway/city. 98-102f, wind calm. 44 psi cold, went up to 47psi hot. 70-75mph on the highway segments, some stop-and-go bumper-to-bumper traffic, maybe 6-7 miles.

New tires are MUCH smoother and quieter than the CC2s. Perfect tracking, more assertive "turn-in" than the worn ContiProContacts. Aggregate surfaces are still noticeable, but much more muted. I think they're even more comfortable than the ContiProContact, but that's possibly because they're at 10/32", not 4/32". Plenty of grip, even if the manufacturing "release" coating isn't fully worn off.

Efficiency? 315Wh/mi for the 150 miles. These same miles would have been 260-270Wh/mi with the worn (4/32") ContiProContact. That's right around 15%.

I have to conclude that the ContiProContact is a significantly more efficient tire, but it isn't nearly as grippy or quiet. The 2 or 3 rather aggressive from a full stop seemed MUCH quicker with the Pilot Sport AS 4 than the ContiProContact.

Frankly, although it wasn't really a priority for me, I find the 15% efficiency loss annoying (at 47psi!!!). It might improve with miles, which happened with the Contis.

I hope this info is helpful. I'm stuck with Michelins, since the "60 day exchange" only applies to their tires. I'm reluctant to go to a summer tire, and not even sure Michelin would allow a 2nd exchange.

Perhaps the new Goodyear ElectricDrive GT tires will provide some benefit, I hope so. My experience with low rolling resistance (LRR) tires is limited to the Michelin EnergySaver All Season (A/S). This tire was OE on my 2011 Ford Fusion and also on my 2017 Chevrolet Volt. The Michelin EnergySaver A/S tire did a few things well, sucked for everything else. The energy savings was not hype. The efficiency of the EnergySaver tire was almost 10% better than with non LRR tires. Wear was average to slightly better than average. Where the EnergySaver disappointed was traction (wet or dry) and paper thin sidewalls that could be damaged beyond use with even a minor encounter with a curb, pothole or road debris.

The EnergySaver A/S tire made my Ford Fusion equipped with AWD feel unsafe when driving on even the slightest amount of snow or ice. I replaced the EnergySaver A/S tires on the Ford Fusion with Continental Pure Contact or True Contact (can't remember which.) For the first two winter driving seasons the Continental tires performed well when driving in snow. When I owned the Chevrolet Volt I would never drive the Volt if there was any hint of snow based on earlier my experience with the EnergySaver A/S tires. The EnergySaver tires on the Volt were also prone to hydroplaning at speeds above 55 MPH in heavy rain.

• Informative
jcanoe: Michelin EnergySaver A/S: Exact same experience that you had, 2018 Fusion. Dangerous traction limits, downright scary at times, and I do NOT abuse tires/cars. Assertive driving, yes, but never abusive.

I'm now figuring that maybe it just can't be done. Traction (sticky rubber) increases friction, which increases drag.

Sure, y'all, go ahead and laugh. It's rather obvious, right? 🤣 🤣

...beating a dead horse, for sure...

I just drove 7 miles, 95f, suburban/highway 50/50. The first mile is all downhill, battery around 40%.

My efficiency never got below 360Wh/mi. Previous tires would have settled in around 280 for the identical trip.

I'm afraid as MYLR owners put 25-30k miles on their cars, and need to replace OEM 19" ContiPros, they'll be in for a real shock trying to find a tire that can duplicate its efficiency.

Vredestein Quatrac Pros have been great in 20", 290-300 Wh/mi after they wore in a bit going 65-70mph .. all weather tires with 3 snowflake rating. They are pretty quiet, I plan to buy them again.

I've had them so long I forgot you could get better efficiency with better / less rolling resistance tires.
I hope my experience is the same. I bought the Quatrac Pros in April, planning to put them on in November before winter starts here in Maryland. I currently have 18k miles on my MYLR. I also sized up a little, going to 255/45R20.

Reactions: Gaige
Just a question; how are we measuring Wh/mi reliably? I understand that you can get (near) instantaneous numbers, but those numbers depend on so many external factors that it seems like it would be difficult to replicate. Things like temperature, wind direction and speed, traffic, current vehicle speed, etc. would all have to be accounted for before you could really compare Wh/mi numbers. Right?

Maybe if you traveled the same path to work every day and averaged it out over enough time (30 days, 6 months)? Even then it might be hard to get good numbers if half the time you are driving in snow and half you are driving on 150F pavement.

RNHunt: I was comparing tires on days that were virtually identical for ambient conditions, and the route I drove was a very familiar route. I understand I'm probably overreacting to the efficiency numbers of both sets of tires, since they were new.

The biggest problem with the CC2s is the noise factor. With such an aggressive tread, I don't think they're going to get much quieter with miles.

...continuing to flog the dead horse...

I just spoke with my contact at TireRack. The ONLY LRR ALL SEASON tire they market is the ContiProContactRX. That's the only A/S LRR tire currently being manufactured. He said that Pirelli makes a LRR summer tire, but I couldn't find one on the TR site that actually stated this...and it's a summer tire with limited longevity.

I encouraged him to get TireRack to highlight this info to prospective customers. There will be some very disappointed tire purchasers if they're not aware of these facts.

I don’t know why they said that. I’ve had Michelin’s a lot and like them but if they are going to say they don’t recommend any for my car I’m gonna be cautious.

Attachments

• BC81C4F3-F479-4996-BBEC-B39BA8E289EA.jpeg
    BC81C4F3-F479-4996-BBEC-B39BA8E289EA.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 144
@Dennis Walther , can you please clarify your post? Are you saying you’ve put on a set of the P7 Plus? If so, when you say “efficiency dropped” does that mean efficiency improved or got worse? Also, how were the Quiettracks? What made you not get them again?
@Dennis Walther , can you please clarify your post? Are you saying you’ve put on a set of the P7 Plus? If so, when you say “efficiency dropped” does that mean efficiency improved or got worse? Also, how were the Quiettracks? What made you not get them again?
Sorry I was not clear. I had got a bulge on my factory tires so I ordered The New Aero 18 inch rims and had the Quiettracks put in and the efficiency was worse (higher 280+) that factory rims and tires when I should of seen an improvement with the rims alone how much more efficient they are. After several hundred miles the efficiency did improve to the 270’s but the tires didn’t ride well imo. I ordered the P7 AS Plus 3 and were put in 2 weeks ago and have loved them so far. Efficiency around 230 with 90+ degree days in Ohio since installed. Seen it dip below 200 a couple drives.

I have 4 new Michelin CC2 installed (by Costco) on my 2015 Lexus CT200h. Tough to compare with my previous set of tires but I like the. the "bite" to the road is very good. Again, I am not comparing apple to apple, but I feel comfortable that I would buy Michelin CC2 for MYLR when the time comes (still waiting for my car ... sh$$$$t)