Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I was not clear. I had got a bulge on my factory tires so I ordered The New Aero 18 inch rims and had the Quiettracks put in and the efficiency was worse (higher 280+) that factory rims and tires when I should of seen an improvement with the rims alone how much more efficient they are. After several hundred miles the efficiency did improve to the 270’s but the tires didn’t ride well imo. I ordered the P7 AS Plus 3 and were put in 2 weeks ago and have loved them so far. Efficiency around 230 with 90+ degree days in Ohio since installed. Seen it dip below 200 a couple drives.

Thank you, @Dennis Walther! This may sway me back to the P7. I decided to go with the DWS06+ in a month but am back to undecided now.

There are two Michelin CrossClimate2 threads going:

Cross Climate 2 on Model Y vs OEM 19"

If a moderator wants to try to combine the two threads, we might all benefit

I'll add my MYLR experience with the CC2 to this thread:

29k miles.Michelin CrossClimate 2 installed, to replace OEM 255/45 - 19" ContiProContact (5/32" tread left, were surprisingly slick on dry pavement...back end would slide out while turning under moderate acceleration).

42psi all around.

Only 50 miles, so probably premature to post, but my initial impressions?

1) Noisier than the ContiProContacts over exposed aggregate concrete, Will this soften as the tires wear in?

2) NOT smoother over small cracks in the pavement...with a thicker tread (10/32") I was expecting it to be softer.

3) There's a subtle, but annoying, whine/hum at 75mph. Not loud, but still annoying. (The CC2 does have a rather aggressive tread.) By comparison, the OEM Contis were whisper quiet on most road surfaces, even up to 100mph. They were very smooth.

4) VERY WEIRD: I'm now hearing the low frequency rumble that I heard early on when the car was new, with the Contis. The rumble disappeared after 4-5k miles, and I had completely forgotten about it, but...it's now audible again. Will this go away as the tires break in?

Overall, I'm NOT impressed. Sidewalls seem stiffer than the broken-in Contis, tread grumble is more pronounced on anything but smooth asphalt. I'm disappointed because the set of CC2s I just installed on our 2019 Avalon Hybrid (235/45 - 18") are amazingly quiet, soft and compliant, which was a HUGE improvement over the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL440s.

This may be a perfect example of different characteristics of "identical" tires when comparing sizes and load ratings.

I'll drive some more tomorrow and post again after I've got a few hundred miles on them. I hope they improve a lot, because no one in my family but me likes riding in the Tesla on DFW rough concrete roads!
29k miles, MountainPassPerformance coilovers, at 10k miles, so...19k miles on them.

Reactions: RNHurt
My follow-up post:

160 miles on the CC2 tires. DFW region, 98-102f ambient, zero wind. Drove every possible road surface, 45-100mph, long interstate sweepers. Challenged the tires a bit, thinking that a bit of wear on the sipes might calm things down a bit.

1) Sidewalls have softened a bit. Expansion cracks aren't nearly so harsh as during the first 50 miles. Zero balance or tracking issues.

2) The grumble/rumble on exposed aggregate is worse than any tire I've driven in the DFW region: Conti DWS, Michelin Primacy, Michelin Premier, Bridgestone Ecopias, This isn't acceptable.

3) When transitioning from exposed aggregate rumble to smooth asphalt, the tires start to sing/hum. This is annoying because usually that transition is a welcome relief, even when the rumble is minimal, I think we've all probably experienced that.

4) VERY grippy tires, on long sweepers, much stickier than the worn 4/32" ContiProContacts.

5) Efficiency? For the IDENTICAL 160 miles, on the OEM (worn) ProContacts, I would have achieved 260-270Wh/mi. CC2 range was 302-310.

I'm phoning TireRack and will order the Pilot Sport All Season 4. Hope my experience will be better.

*** The point of my posting is NOT to denigrate the CC2 tires. Just as with suspension stiffness, not all tires are appropriate in all regions, on all road surfaces.

Vredestein Quatrac Pros have been great in 20", 290-300 Wh/mi after they wore in a bit going 65-70mph .. all weather tires with 3 snowflake rating. They are pretty quiet, I plan to buy them again.

I've had them so long I forgot you could get better efficiency with better / less rolling resistance tires.
Almost 25K on my Quatrac Pros now. I'm lazy and rotated once, so shame on me. Mostly highway, and they still look relatively new. Lifetime Wh/Mi is around 270....need to look at the latest. FWIW, when I charge to 100% before a trip, the max range reported is 301 miles. Early vin 9XXX, June 2020 build. Tires still handle great, are quiet and good in bad weather. And for the price, I really feel they can't be beat.

Almost 25K on my Quatrac Pros now. I'm lazy and rotated once, so shame on me. Mostly highway, and they still look relatively new. Lifetime Wh/Mi is around 270....need to look at the latest. FWIW, when I charge to 100% before a trip, the max range reported is 301 miles. Early vin 9XXX, June 2020 build. Tires still handle great, are quiet and good in bad weather. And for the price, I really feel they can't be beat.

We are close to a similar story. I'm ~18-20k miles on them, same timeframe June 2020 .. I think you were the one who recommended them and thank you for that! I got them before they were mega backordered.

I really wanted one set of tires with a bit more tread that could hold up with some snow driving safety for Tahoe (and get through chain control), but still drive ok year round in SF Bay area. These have worked great.

My only issue, I need to try to run down the battery and do the recalibrate tricks.. 285 miles on 100% charge. 283 lifetime Wh/mi (I was getting ~300 miles at 100% 4 or so months ago). I don't really worry about that mileage estimate.. but interested if it will go back up to 300.

Reactions: Koolio46
Another follow-up:

Michelin has a 60-day exchange policy. I returned the CC2s, but had to replace with Michelin.

I now have 240 miles on 255/45ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 XL. Driving pattern virtually the same as the previous 250+ on the CC2s.

Quieter, softer than both ContiProContact and CC2s. Expansion cracks are no longer jarring and annoying. Much better grip (even with only 240 miles).

Efficiency? Only 240 miles in, 340Wh/m. I have a lifetime (29k miles) of 283 Wh/mi with the OEM ContiProContact.

Clearly, the Pilot Sport A/S is NOT a LRR tire. The ONLY LRR available in the 255/45-19 is the ContiProContact.

We are close to a similar story. I'm ~18-20k miles on them, same timeframe June 2020 .. I think you were the one who recommended them and thank you for that! I got them before they were mega backordered.

I really wanted one set of tires with a bit more tread that could hold up with some snow driving safety for Tahoe (and get through chain control), but still drive ok year round in SF Bay area. These have worked great.

My only issue, I need to try to run down the battery and do the recalibrate tricks.. 285 miles on 100% charge. 283 lifetime Wh/mi (I was getting ~300 miles at 100% 4 or so months ago). I don't really worry about that mileage estimate.. but interested if it will go back up to 300.
Great to hear that my recommendation worked out for you!

I've let the BMS recalibrate, and I hover at 100% charge between 293 and 301, depending on time of year. I haven't seen 316 since the first three weeks of ownership. When the firmware update that reset the full charge to 326 came out, I saw that number for less than a week. I've held a steady miles estimate at 100% charge with 15%+ of my lifetime charging from Superchargers at 293 miles or higher. I really think the battery lost about 6-7% which is fine, but I do think the miles estimate at 100% changed over time based on the change from around 250 Wh/Mi with the Contis to 270 with the Quatracs.

Just installed Cross Climate 2s on my 21 LR Model Y. Had 42.5k miles on the original Continentals. Already noticing the CC2s are slightly noisier and have a distinct hum. It's not terrible and may wear in as I put miles on. Very grippy. Can't wait for winter now.

Just installed Cross Climate 2s on my 21 LR Model Y. Had 42.5k miles on the original Continentals. Already noticing the CC2s are slightly noisier and have a distinct hum. It's not terrible and may wear in as I put miles on. Very grippy. Can't wait for winter now.
That's impressive mileage on the .continentals. I sort of hope mine don't last that long because I can't bring myself to replace them before they're worn. Unfortunately, I don't think the tires alone have any resale value so I doubt I could sell them

Reactions: cusetownusa
How's your range on cc2 vs Conti?

I've used cc2 for years, so I'm kinda used to it's sounds, but I hope it's range doesn't degrade too much from Conti level.

Another follow-up:

Michelin has a 60-day exchange policy. I returned the CC2s, but had to replace with Michelin.

I now have 240 miles on 255/45ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 XL. Driving pattern virtually the same as the previous 250+ on the CC2s.

Quieter, softer than both ContiProContact and CC2s. Expansion cracks are no longer jarring and annoying. Much better grip (even with only 240 miles).

Efficiency? Only 240 miles in, 340Wh/m. I have a lifetime (29k miles) of 283 Wh/mi with the OEM ContiProContact.

Clearly, the Pilot Sport A/S is NOT a LRR tire. The ONLY LRR available in the 255/45-19 is the ContiProContact.
Thankful I saw your post. Didn't realize they had a 60-day exchange policy. Just had them installed on my car the other day. They're quite loud.

And there's a slight but distinct physical and visible shaking in the steering wheel above 70mph. I called the tire shop that installed them - having the balancing and alignment double-checked tomorrow.

However the guy was telling me that it could be because they don't have the foam that the stock ones do. Any truth to that?

May end up exchanging and going with the Pilot Sport A/S 4. Your comment above about the LRR tire... does that ultimately matter?

Thankful I saw your post. Didn't realize they had a 60-day exchange policy. Just had them installed on my car the other day. They're quite loud.

And there's a slight but distinct physical and visible shaking in the steering wheel above 70mph. I called the tire shop that installed them - having the balancing and alignment double-checked tomorrow.

However the guy was telling me that it could be because they don't have the foam that the stock ones do. Any truth to that?

May end up exchanging and going with the Pilot Sport A/S 4. Your comment above about the LRR tire... does that ultimately matter?
In the first commute with the tires I am not experiencing any shaking or vibration, just a low grumble from road noise, likely caused by the tread pattern and lack of foam. Overall very smooth so far even at 70mph.

Reactions: Pianewman
The foam serves as a sound deadening treatment. The lack of foam should not affect the wheel balance or cause steering vibration. The most likely cause is one or more of the wheels needs to be balanced. Hopefully the tire shop can resolve the vibration issue. Note that in a small percentage of vehicles where standard wheel balancing does not eliminate the vibration you can have a tire center perform road force balancing of the wheels. Not all shops have the required equipment to perform road force balancing.

If you decide to return the CC2 tires within the 60 day window consider the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire.

Another good choice (not a Michelin brand tire) is the Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season tire.

None of the tires (CC2, AS4 or Quatrac Pro) are low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. In fact you may find very few if any LRR tires for the Tesla Model Y other than the OE Continental Procontact RX. LRR tires use various means to improve rolling efficiency. This can mean a combination of harder rubber compounds and stiffer side walls that flex and deflect less than other tire designs. LRR can improve rolling efficiency by ~7% over a non-LRR tire. The harder rubber compound will provide more limited traction especially in wet and colder temperatures, so not ideal for winter driving. The stiffer sidewall may mean a harsher ride.

Last edited:

My guess:

255/45R19, is such a big tire, that conventional balance is not enough. It needs to be road force balanced, which is what Tesla Service Center use.

My used model 3 came with Bridgestone Quiettrack tires that making vibe on steering wheel at above 70mph. And I thought might be some defect on suspension and go to the service center spent 120 dollars. They simply do the road force balance and it's done.

Update: Went back to the tire place on Saturday and had them perform the alignment and balance again. It seemed to do the trick in terms of fixing the shaking above 70mph.

However - not sure I'm pleased with the tires. I was hoping for a softer, more comfortable ride than the Continentals that came with the car. I'm finding that the ride is just as hard, or maybe even a little more so.

Would the Pilot Sport A/S 4 be a 'softer' ride?

Also, looked into what it would cost to have the tires changed, aligned, and rebalanced by Tesla. With tax that came out to just a hair over $500. That sounds obscenely high. Is that what I should expect?

Update: Went back to the tire place on Saturday and had them perform the alignment and balance again. It seemed to do the trick in terms of fixing the shaking above 70mph.

However - not sure I'm pleased with the tires. I was hoping for a softer, more comfortable ride than the Continentals that came with the car. I'm finding that the ride is just as hard, or maybe even a little more so.

Would the Pilot Sport A/S 4 be a 'softer' ride?

Also, looked into what it would cost to have the tires changed, aligned, and rebalanced by Tesla. With tax that came out to just a hair over $500. That sounds obscenely high. Is that what I should expect?
That does seem high and the exact type of service I would bring my car to an independent mechanic for. No need to bring it to Tesla to have your tires changed and balanced.