Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Went back to the tire place on Saturday and had them perform the alignment and balance again. It seemed to do the trick in terms of fixing the shaking above 70mph.

However - not sure I'm pleased with the tires. I was hoping for a softer, more comfortable ride than the Continentals that came with the car. I'm finding that the ride is just as hard, or maybe even a little more so.

Would the Pilot Sport A/S 4 be a 'softer' ride?

Also, looked into what it would cost to have the tires changed, aligned, and rebalanced by Tesla. With tax that came out to just a hair over $500. That sounds obscenely high. Is that what I should expect?
Check the tire pressure when the tires are cold (before being driven.) Tesla specifies 42 PSI (cold tire pressure.) You might want to try adding 1 or 2 lbs of pressure to that specification (works for me with the OE Continental Procontact RX tires as I find the ride improved at 44 PSI.)

Update: Went back to the tire place on Saturday and had them perform the alignment and balance again. It seemed to do the trick in terms of fixing the shaking above 70mph.

However - not sure I'm pleased with the tires. I was hoping for a softer, more comfortable ride than the Continentals that came with the car. I'm finding that the ride is just as hard, or maybe even a little more so.

Would the Pilot Sport A/S 4 be a 'softer' ride?

Also, looked into what it would cost to have the tires changed, aligned, and rebalanced by Tesla. With tax that came out to just a hair over $500. That sounds obscenely high. Is that what I should expect?

The foam serves as a sound deadening treatment. The lack of foam should not affect the wheel balance or cause steering vibration. The most likely cause is one or more of the wheels needs to be balanced. Hopefully the tire shop can resolve the vibration issue. Note that in a small percentage of vehicles where standard wheel balancing does not eliminate the vibration you can have a tire center perform road force balancing of the wheels. Not all shops have the required equipment to perform road force balancing.

If you decide to return the CC2 tires within the 60 day window consider the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tire.

Another good choice (not a Michelin brand tire) is the Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season tire.

None of the tires (CC2, AS4 or Quatrac Pro) are low rolling resistance (LRR) tires. In fact you may find very few if any LRR tires for the Tesla Model Y other than the OE Continental Procontact RX. LRR tires use various means to improve rolling efficiency. This can mean a combination of harder rubber compounds and stiffer side walls that flex and deflect less than other tire designs. LRR can improve rolling efficiency by ~7% over a non-LRR tire. The harder rubber compound will provide more limited traction especially in wet and colder temperatures, so not ideal for winter driving. The stiffer sidewall may mean a harsher ride.
I've put about 22k miles on 265/40/20 AS4's (went up a size to improve ride and curb rash protection) and couldn't be happier with the ride, noise, and wear. High speed handling is phenomenal. I rotated at 5k intervals and had to replace one due to a sidewall puncture – guessing I have about 5k left before I’ll need to replace. Tire noise no different than the stock Goodyears. Had a chance to test out snow performance in the Sierra's over the winter and was very happy with grip and stopping performance even along unplowed roads, night and day compared to the OEMs. I do have the Verdestein Quatrac Pro on my wife’s Q5 and can say with certainly that they are the superior snow tire and a better value considering the $350+ cost of the AS4s, but AS4s win out with unmatched summer performance.

Reactions: Koolio46
Check the tire pressure when the tires are cold (before being driven.) Tesla specifies 42 PSI (cold tire pressure.) You might want to try adding 1 or 2 lbs of pressure to that specification (works for me with the OE Continental Procontact RX tires as I find the ride improved at 44 PSI.)
I concur with this. Just bumped my CC2s up to 44psi this morning and the ride and noise evened out and they are doing great. Have about 600 miles on them now. So far I can recommend them. Can't wait for winter to see how they do.
Also efficiency hasn't really changed at all compared to the stock Continentals on Model Y.

I concur with this. Just bumped my CC2s up to 44psi this morning and the ride and noise evened out and they are doing great. Have about 600 miles on them now. So far I can recommend them. Can't wait for winter to see how they do.
Also efficiency hasn't really changed at all compared to the

Fantastic tip! I pumped them up to 44psi this morning and there is a noticeable difference in the ride smoothness. Hopefully this is the quick and easy fix I'm hoping for.

Hoping as much as I can to not feel like I need to honor the guarantee and trade them in for something else (would likely try the AS4s) and have to pay labor for trading them out and realigning and rebalancing. Even at the local tire place, that's $221 just for that.

Fantastic tip! I pumped them up to 44psi this morning and there is a noticeable difference in the ride smoothness. Hopefully this is the quick and easy fix I'm hoping for.

Hoping as much as I can to not feel like I need to honor the guarantee and trade them in for something else (would likely try the AS4s) and have to pay labor for trading them out and realigning and rebalancing. Even at the local tire place, that's $221 just for that.
I will have to try this but logically it doesn’t make sense that the ride would improve with more PSI. Wouldn’t that make the tires more rigid over bumps? I actually lowered my air pressure by 4 PSI to improve the ride on our Model Y and previous Model S. At stock PSI the dash rattled more but was quiet with less air pressure.

I will have to try this but logically it doesn’t make sense that the ride would improve with more PSI. Wouldn’t that make the tires more rigid over bumps? I actually lowered my air pressure by 4 PSI to improve the ride on our Model Y and previous Model S. At stock PSI the dash rattled more but was quiet with less air pressure.
Extra Load (XL) rated tires only meet their XL rating when inflated to at least 41 PSI. Adding several pounds of air pressure to the tire can improve the ride in some vehicles by changing the vibrational transmission of the suspension.

Effects of Different Tire Pressures on Vibrational Transmissibility in Cars

https://avestia.com/ICMEM2014_Proceedings/papers/145.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N
This is exactly what I would've thought.

Tire efficiency, suppleness (ride), and grip change a lot in the first 1000-2000 miles - especially the first 500. Testing and tweaking pressures during this time is of limited utility. They shouldn't ride smoother at higher pressures. You may just be noticing them starting to break in.

Logically yes. In practice no. I had mine at 41psi the other day and the noise from the tires got really annoying. Now today at 43bor 44 they are quiet and the suspension dampens the bumps nicely.

I tried 44 PSI today and drove some familiar roads. It didn’t improve the ride but it also wasn’t appreciably worse than stock 42 PSI. Some bumps transmitted a tad sharper and the steering felt lighter at 44 PSI. I can live with 42 or 44 PSI.

As stated before I usually run at 38 PSI but went back to stock 42 PSI a few weeks ago after low pressure alert. Surprisingly, the stock 42 PSI rode comfortably. Maybe the suspension and tires are properly broken in now after a year and almost 21K miles. Planning to replace tires soon and will keep it at stock pressures.

I tried 44 PSI today and drove some familiar roads. It didn’t improve the ride but it also wasn’t appreciably worse than stock 42 PSI. Some bumps transmitted a tad sharper and the steering felt lighter at 44 PSI. I can live with 42 or 44 PSI.

As stated before I usually run at 38 PSI but went back to stock 42 PSI a few weeks ago after low pressure alert. Surprisingly, the stock 42 PSI rode comfortably. Maybe the suspension and tires are properly broken in now after a year and almost 21K miles. Planning to replace tires soon and will keep it at stock pressures.
Are you running the stock tires that came with the car? If so the 44PSI setting that some of us have been trying is for the Cross Climate 2s. Stock tires I ran at 42 or 43 regularly for a full 42.5k miles just had my coworkers do a wheel alignment back to factory specs today they are sounding and feeling really good now.

Almost 25K on my Quatrac Pros now. I'm lazy and rotated once, so shame on me. Mostly highway, and they still look relatively new. Lifetime Wh/Mi is around 270....need to look at the latest. FWIW, when I charge to 100% before a trip, the max range reported is 301 miles. Early vin 9XXX, June 2020 build. Tires still handle great, are quiet and good in bad weather. And for the price, I really feel they can't be beat.
This is great feedback, thanks!

Just ordered the Quatrac Pros for my 20" inductions, and will have them put on at the end of August. Sounds like the Quatrac Pros won't have too much of a hit on efficiency.

I have to say, the Goodyear Eagle F1s wore down very quickly (and I'm not doing any spirited driving or many launches / hard accelerations). I have 16k miles on them with 4/32 tread on the rears and 5/32 on the front. Rotated them at 6k miles, and was going to rotate last week but that's when the tire shop measured tread depth and I decided not to rotate since they won't survive a New England winter.

Th
Another follow-up:

Michelin has a 60-day exchange policy. I returned the CC2s, but had to replace with Michelin.

I now have 240 miles on 255/45ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 XL. Driving pattern virtually the same as the previous 250+ on the CC2s.

Quieter, softer than both ContiProContact and CC2s. Expansion cracks are no longer jarring and annoying. Much better grip (even with only 240 miles).

Efficiency? Only 240 miles in, 340Wh/m. I have a lifetime (29k miles) of 283 Wh/mi with the OEM ContiProContact.

Clearly, the Pilot Sport A/S is NOT a LRR tire. The ONLY LRR available in the 255/45-19 is the ContiProContact.
Another follow-up:

Michelin has a 60-day exchange policy. I returned the CC2s, but had to replace with Michelin.

I now have 240 miles on 255/45ZR-19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 XL. Driving pattern virtually the same as the previous 250+ on the CC2s.

Quieter, softer than both ContiProContact and CC2s. Expansion cracks are no longer jarring and annoying. Much better grip (even with only 240 miles).

Efficiency? Only 240 miles in, 340Wh/m. I have a lifetime (29k miles) of 283 Wh/mi with the OEM ContiProContact.

Clearly, the Pilot Sport A/S is NOT a LRR tire. The ONLY LRR available in the 255/45-19 is the ContiProContact.
That sucks. Bridgestone allowed me to change out to any tire even though they didn’t offer the P7 and was an order from Tire Rack for them. They said I didn’t get a charge but my math had me getting money back but I was charged $20

Mine swapped under guarantee didn’t charge for redoing any of that.

Reactions: Pianewman
I finally got a chance to get my CC2 installed on the Model Y. I had around 21,000+ km on the OEM Conti, and so far, I drove about 30km on the CC2s, so my opinion may change.

My initial impression is that compare to Conti at 42psi, CC2 at 42psi does NOT feel any harsher. It may even feel little softer, which is what I want. Noise though, is slightly higher but not to the level that would bother me.

As for the efficiency, I can see there is a slight drop, but may be 5% max, on the exact same road trips. I do have TeslaFi recording every drive, and since it records temperature and average speed for each trip, it's relatively easy to compare the equivalent trips.

Probably after about 100km or so, I may boost up to 44psi and see if that makes any difference.

So far, so good.

Unless someone develops a dedicated all-weather tires for EVs, I may stick with CC2.

I finally got a chance to get my CC2 installed on the Model Y. I had around 21,000+ km on the OEM Conti, and so far, I drove about 30km on the CC2s, so my opinion may change.

My initial impression is that compare to Conti at 42psi, CC2 at 42psi does NOT feel any harsher. It may even feel little softer, which is what I want. Noise though, is slightly higher but not to the level that would bother me.

As for the efficiency, I can see there is a slight drop, but may be 5% max, on the exact same road trips. I do have TeslaFi recording every drive, and since it records temperature and average speed for each trip, it's relatively easy to compare the equivalent trips.

Probably after about 100km or so, I may boost up to 44psi and see if that makes any difference.

So far, so good.

Unless someone develops a dedicated all-weather tires for EVs, I may stick with CC2.
20220814_162015.jpg

I don't have the specific data like yours, but feels similar. Used CC+ on my model 3 and it was quite good but not very very impressed, will see CC2 on MY especially in this winter.

Reactions: sgong6
the new CC2 on my 2015 Lexus was a touch noisier than my old 40K-mileage stock tires. Of course it's not a fair comparison. After a month it's much less noticeable, either I get used to them or they have gone thru a break-in period. I would not mind having them on my future MYLR (EDD end Nov2022- beginning Feb2023)