Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original ones. Whatever was fitted to 2019 18" wheels. I could go outside and look, but it's raining.
As long as you can store a set of tyres in a garage/shed, swap the fronts for CC2 next month but store the existing fronts. When the weather warms up, swap them onto the back and get new PS4's for the front, store the CC2's to next winter?

Everyone is lambasting you for not being a tyre expert or wanting to drop £1k on a set of tyres when you didn't strictly need to. I think some recognition is due for trying to get some intermediates for yourself. And for many the key to affording a £60k car is the promised lower running costs.

Them that sold them to you probably could have mentioned it might be a bit weird tho.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
At the risk of trotting out the old clichés, physics is a bitch.

Your contact with the road is four small patches of rubber.
This car does 0-60 in around 4 seconds. That puts it in the same territory as supercars of about 10-15 years ago.
But this car also weighs nearly 2 tons. So there are potentially massive forces going through the tyres, exacerbated by the difference in tyre wear, rubber chemistry, tread pattern, and fundamentally different thermal performance curves.

I'm wary of mixing tyres on my daughter's Citroen C1.

To do it on this car is madness.

Maybe don't buy a £60,000 car if you can't afford to run it safely? It's not just you that's affected, it's the person in the opposite lane that encounters the back of your car heading towards them at 60mph after you've spun out on a cold, wet, bend.
I'm happy you can drop £800 at the drop of a hat. Also a little worried you don't slow down for corners when it's cold and wet.

As long as you can store a set of tyres in a garage/shed, swap the fronts for CC2 next month but store the existing fronts. When the weather warms up, swap them onto the back and get new PS4's for the front, store the CC2's to next winter?

Everyone is lambasting you for not being a tyre expert or wanting to drop £1k on a set of tyres when you didn't strictly need to. I think some recognition is due for trying to get some intermediates for yourself. And for many the key to affording a £60k car is the promised lower running costs.

Them that sold them to you probably could have mentioned it might be a bit weird tho.
I've had no handling problems from mixing the tyres. It's different from before, but certainly no worse.

I've had no handling problems from mixing the tyres. It's different from before, but certainly no worse.
It's when you most need all your tyres to work in the same way that you'll discover mixing them is not a good idea.
i.e.
Emergency lane change or braking to avoid animal/debris/stopped vehicle
Sudden change in grip level on road due to patches of water/oil/mud etc.
Lifting off/braking on a fast bend to avoid a hazard

I suppose if you only drive your car a mile to the shops and back below 30mph when the sun's shining you'll be OK.

New tyres are a bit “slippy” the first hundred miles or so until the tyre butter from the moulding process has been worn off. Is this maybe what the OP is experiencing.
Just ease a bit on the throttle. I use CC2s all round and have not noticed any detrimental driving characteristics.

I'm happy you can drop £800 at the drop of a hat. Also a little worried you don't slow down for corners when it's cold and wet.
CC2 are less than £600 for four, fitted. Yeah, it's a lot of money but it's 1% of the price of the car and can be budgeted for at £25/month over two years, which is what I do for tyres.

Speed should be appropriate to the conditions and the problem you face is that with a mixture of tyres you don't know what that appropriate speed is.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I also have CC2s on the rear.

1) It will, but probably less than different tread depths
2) Yep!
3) nope!
4) Not spending a huge amount in one month for all 4 tyres. Not everyone can easily afford it in one go. And throwing two perfectly good front tyres seems wasteful.
A while back I took delivery of a car with summer tires without realizing, and I had the same concern over wasting a perfectly good set of tires when swapping to all-seasons. Turns out, if you list them on FB Marketplace, you’ll get tons of bids, so you can try selling the old ones when you do the swap.

I also have CC2s on the rear.

1) It will, but probably less than different tread depths
2) Yep!
3) nope!
4) Not spending a huge amount in one month for all 4 tyres. Not everyone can easily afford it in one go. And throwing two perfectly good front tyres seems wasteful.
What are you wasting? Just take them off after winter and put the others back on, sell them with the car when you sell it, and you'll probably get most of your money back. I don't even think your insurance would be valid if you crashed with tyres like that on. Please don't risk your life like this.

Edit: Sorry, just realised these are all-season tyres.. again, you aren't wasting anything if you sell the original tyres or keep them to sell with the car.

What are you wasting? Just take them off after winter and put the others back on, sell them with the car when you sell it, and you'll probably get most of your money back. I don't even think your insurance would be valid if you crashed with tyres like that on. Please don't risk your life like this.

Edit: Sorry, just realised these are all-season tyres.. again, you aren't wasting anything if you sell the original tyres or keep them to sell with the car.
All cross climates now.

Reactions: Andy B