Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR RWD with the 19” wheels. I picked up a spare set of 18” Aeros for the winter. Now I need to get some tires. I’m looking for good winter performance and mostly hoping the taller sidewalks on the 18” save me from blowing out tires or bending wheels in potholes.

I’m sure X-Ice Xi3 tires would work great but I’m worried they won’t be enjoyable on dry. We don’t get tons of snow in Philadelphia. (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ were fine year around on my GTI.)

The Michelin CrossClimate+ get good reviews on other cars. I’d like to talk to more people that run them on Tesla Model 3.

How loud are they?
It the snow performance ok?
Is the dry performance good?
Most importantly how did it impact your Wh/mi?

How loud are they?
It the snow performance ok?
Is the dry performance good?
Most importantly how did it impact your Wh/mi?

Fairly loud, but not unbearably so. A bit worse than the stock PS4S. They make a lot of noise if you floor it and they may lose traction after the next 5% boost if peak torque is increased.
No opportunity to try in snow yet.
Dry performance is ok but obviously nowhere near PS4S.

Wh/mi combined with Dekagram wheels seems comparable to stock 20” PS4S. But part of this may be due to the lack of good aero properties on the Dekagram.

I have a set of those for my P3D that I used extensively in mammoth/tahoe last year

100% recommend, had absolutely no issues with snow performance (outside the one time I tried to do donuts in Squaw's parking lot following 4-6 feet of wet dense snow. Even then only got stuck once because I bottomed out).

Driving 60 mph down 365 during chain control conditions on a fully iced road? check. Driving through 3 blizzards through the passes without chains? check. I was extremely impressed how well the car did overall with these in some very challenging conditions last winter.

I live in San Diego so needed something that wouldn't get destroyed commuting to work. Dry performance is okay, I get better Wh/mile than my 20" rims by about 5-10%. Slightly noisier than P4S but not at all a dealbreaker.

I got 18 inch ASA GT14s with the 235/45R18s CC+ for my P3D+ ... haven't mounted them yet. When I was researching such tires - I had some individuals claim that there were quieter than the PS4s. We'll see. Mounting this weekend.

Which wheels did you use? I was hoping for this sort of improvement but looks like I need to hack some sort of aero cover together to get an improvement on the highway - the 20” wheel selection in the trip planner was pretty accurate when running the CrossClimate+.

I used 18"s XXR559s because not much else was available. i don't think cross climate's even come in 19", or at least they didn't last year. The rims ended up grinding a little bit of paint off the caliper in a narrow section. If i had to do it again, would have just waited for Tsportline or other 18" cheap rims (e.g. Enkei PF01)

Didn’t know you could use 18s on P3. Thought you had larger calipers than non-P cars.

Tesla Aero rims don't. Many other vendors (e.g. tsportline) do make 18's which clear.

I replaced the stock PS4 with CrossClimate+ on my SR+ about 1 month ago (stock 18' wheels). Overall I feel they handle about the same as the PS4 (at least I can´t tell any difference), Wh/km is roughly the same as the PS4 (maybe a bit higher but they were mounted as the temperature in Denmark started to drop so hard to tell) and noise wise they are also about the same as the PS4. They did have an odd vibration sound between 70 and 90 km/h to start with but it is either gone or I stopped noticing it :)

Tesla Aero rims don't.

They will fit the fronts (with a 5mm spacer of course) - but you may have to loosen and push the caliper in a bit to establish about 1mm clearance. I do not recommend this at all, but someone here does it.

noise wise they are also about the same as the PS4

The major difference is the noise under acceleration - you will definitely hear the tires “hiss” when you floor it. It isn’t a squeal, but it sounds like they are about to let go (not sure that is what it is, but that it what it sounds like) - this is in warm conditions.

Thinking a bit about it, I think it is possibly the tread blocks vibrating as they are flexed and then released from the pavement (it kind of sounds like a deck of playing cards when you flex the edge of the deck and then move your thumb across the flexed edge and release the cards quickly, one at a time). Kind of the same thing is happening with the tread blocks I guess.

Overall I feel they handle about the same as the PS4

The PS4S? Or the PS4? They definitely do not inspire the same confidence as the PS4S. Again, at least in warm conditions, they definitely do not feel as planted as the performance summer tires. They feel perfectly acceptable, of course, but you’re not likely to feel comfortable flinging the car around corners, like with the PS4S.

The major difference is the noise under acceleration - you will definitely hear the tires “hiss” when you floor it. It isn’t a squeal, but it sounds like they are about to let go (not sure that is what it is, but that it what it sounds like) - this is in warm conditions.

Thinking a bit about it, I think it is possibly the tread blocks vibrating as they are flexed and then released from the pavement (it kind of sounds like a deck of playing cards when you flex the edge of the deck and then move your thumb across the flexed edge and release the cards quickly, one at a time). Kind of the same thing is happening with the tread blocks I guess.

How many miles have you driven with them? I definitely remember hearing this as well the first few weeks after they were fitted but I no longer get this. I am guessing the tread blocks will get a little bit rounded after the first couple of hundred miles which would mean less noise as they leave the surface.

How many miles have you driven with them? I definitely remember hearing this as well the first few weeks after they were fitted but I no longer get this. I am guessing the tread blocks will get a little bit rounded after the first couple of hundred miles which would mean less noise as they leave the surface.

I've driven about 2000 miles with them. 1200 miles of that was constant speed freeway miles though. It's not like I haven't been trying to round off the tread blocks. ;) Haven't looked closely at the wear though.

Sorry to those asking for MXM4 comparisons - can only compare to PS4S - they are louder than those, but really only particularly louder on acceleration (playing card shuffling like noise). They were completely tolerable on my road trip. I would guess you'd take an efficiency hit vs. the MXM4s but I really don't know.

Got the PS4S back on the car at the moment.