Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin launches first EV tire designed for high performance electric cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Michelin launches first EV tire designed for Electric Sports Vehicles
According to Michelin, the Pilot Sport EVs feature optimal grip on both dry and wet roads, and they have great resistance to wear. The Pilot Sport EV tire’s robust design might be notable to owners who love the track, considering that high-performance electric cars like the Tesla Model 3 Performance tend to wear out their tires quickly if they are driven extremely hard.

The Pilot Sport EV tires are also optimized with low rolling resistance, enabling range improvements of up to 37 miles. Michelin did an internal study last year with an electric car weighing 2,151 kg (4,700 lbs) that resulted in the vehicle traveling 60 km further when it was equipped with the Pilot Sport EV tires. Michelin noted that the Pilot Sport EVs are also designed to have 20% less road noise, thanks to some custom-developed polyurethane foam that muffles sounds.

Side note: Got any pics of your sweet Y?
Sure, here are a few:
IMG_1348.jpeg

IMG_1350.jpeg

IMG_1346.jpeg

I will be following reviews of this tire with interest. If they offer it in a size that fits my standard Model 3 LR Dual Motor rims, it might be my next tire. I hope that Michelin will offer a few other tires designed with EVs specifically in mind over the coming years, and that other tire manufactures will as well.

I will be following reviews of this tire with interest. If they offer it in a size that fits my standard Model 3 LR Dual Motor rims, it might be my next tire. I hope that Michelin will offer a few other tires designed with EVs specifically in mind over the coming years, and that other tire manufactures will as well.
With the range of rim sizes they'll be offering, it's looking very likely they will support your Model 3 LR Dual Motor wheels.
The Pilot Sport EV tires are already available in China and are expected to be available in Europe and North America by Q3 2021. Customers can choose between 16 sizes for 18 to 22-inch rims.

Nokian has a set of EV winter tires coming out too. I'm hoping they have a set of A/S ones as well. Lately they have been my go to tire company, especially for winter tires.

To answer your question, EVs have a lot of torque. More then most ICE vehicles and also to get good driving range need to be low rolling resistant tires. Except being winter tires, which is a tricky balance between longevity, "range", and being able to keep the car on the road. One of the reasons Michelin is coming up with new tires, like the cross climate.

Honest question, how are any tires like these meant specifically for EVs? Wouldn’t any tire that helps an EV also be an equal improvement for ICE? Seems more like marketing gymnastics than anything.

ICE engines are so inefficient, the losses there make up the bulk of energy losses. So better tires will help mileage a little, but the improvements will be small. EVs on the other hand have incredible efficient motors and the bulk of energy loss comes from friction and air resistance. Tires that reduce rolling resistance can make noticeable improvements in range.

ICE engines are so inefficient, the losses there make up the bulk of energy losses. So better tires will help mileage a little, but the improvements will be small. EVs on the other hand have incredible efficient motors and the bulk of energy loss comes from friction and air resistance. Tires that reduce rolling resistance can make noticeable improvements in range.

Rolling resistance causes losses of the energy already delivered to the wheels.

Efficiency matters more for EVs because of the cost of the fuel tank, the small capacity of the fuel tank, and the slow speed of refueling.

Rolling resistance causes losses of the energy already delivered to the wheels.

Efficiency matters more for EVs because of the cost of the fuel tank, the small capacity of the fuel tank, and the slow speed of refueling.
Right, by the time it gets to rolling resistance, and potential reduction from tires, and previous inefficiencies deltas are irrelevant.

I want EV specific tires for performance, not efficiency.

Your last point is on the money too. Let’s be real, it’s nearly all about range, or rather reducing the need to charge. People don’t care much about slightly better tires for their inefficient 9/mpg pickup because it’s easy and cheap to have enough energy stored to have range. And the refuel time/miles driven ratio is already very small. As a MS owner since 2013, some of this is giving in to overblown range anxiety, but it’s a means to an end.