Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Launches the Pilot Sport EV Tire....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ev, electric vehicle, michelin pilot sport ev :: Michelin North America, Inc.

I'm really, really excited for this. As someone who is not seeing the benefit of my Pilot Sport 4S's because of tons of highway driving and straight roads, but who still wants a performance tire, I'm so psyched about this tire.

• The first Michelin tire engineered to meet the specific handling and range requirements of electric sports cars
  • Low road-noise for superior travelling comfort(1)
  • Result of the unique experience acquired by Michelin in Formula E racing
  • An eco-responsible, CO2-neutral tire at the point of sale(2)
Michelin has launched its first tire designed to address the specific demands made by electric sports cars. Launching April 1, the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport EV delivers:

• Optimal grip on dry and wet roads(3) (4) – irrespective of the tire’s level of wear(5) – taking into account the higher weight and weight-distribution characteristics associated with electric sports cars.
  • Outstanding resistance to wear(6) in response to the high torque and acceleration forces of electric sports cars.
  • The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV’s low rolling resistance extends range by up to 37 miles(7).
  • 20 percent less perceptible road noise thanks to MICHELIN AcousticTM technology which takes the form of a custom-developed polyurethane foam that reduces cabin noise(1)

ev, electric vehicle, michelin pilot sport ev :: Michelin North America, Inc.

I'm really, really excited for this. As someone who is not seeing the benefit of my Pilot Sport 4S's because of tons of highway driving and straight roads, but who still wants a performance tire, I'm so psyched about this tire.
  • The first Michelin tire engineered to meet the specific handling and range requirements of electric sports cars
  • Low road-noise for superior travelling comfort(1)
  • Result of the unique experience acquired by Michelin in Formula E racing
  • An eco-responsible, CO2-neutral tire at the point of sale(2)
Michelin has launched its first tire designed to address the specific demands made by electric sports cars. Launching April 1, the MICHELIN® Pilot® Sport EV delivers:

• Optimal grip on dry and wet roads(3) (4) – irrespective of the tire’s level of wear(5) – taking into account the higher weight and weight-distribution characteristics associated with electric sports cars.
  • Outstanding resistance to wear(6) in response to the high torque and acceleration forces of electric sports cars.
  • The MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV’s low rolling resistance extends range by up to 37 miles(7).
  • 20 percent less perceptible road noise thanks to MICHELIN AcousticTM technology which takes the form of a custom-developed polyurethane foam that reduces cabin noise(1)
Wow I would love to see how the rolling resistance compares to the MX4M that shipped as when I moved to the Cross Climate I saw a 7% hit in watts/mile.

If you spent the money on a performance you should also spend the money on summer tires. I am very excited to see EV specific summer tires available for my LR RWD just as we come up on the end of snow season. Perhaps I would think different if I didn't have a winter snow bound cabin that I regularly go to.

Reactions: afadeev
Oh, wow, I am not sure I would have noticed it if you hadn't pointed it out
4w-rt_3528707946850_tire_mich_pilotsportev_ww_255-40-r20-101w-xl_c_main_6-0zoom.jpg

"Rolling Resistance internal study carried out in October 2020, comparing a 255/45 R19 MICHELIN Pilot Sport EV (6.7kg/t) with the same-sized MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 SUV (8.8kg/t). In the case of an electric vehicle weighing 2,151kg with a range of 540km, the difference (2.1kg/t) equates to more than 60km of additional range, or more than 10 percent of the original range."

Sounds like they were testing the I-PACE? 10% is pretty incredible. I can only run all seasons on my SUV unfortunately.

If you spent the money on a performance you should also spend the money on summer tires. I am very excited to see EV specific summer tires available for my LR RWD just as we come up on the end of snow season. Perhaps I would think different if I didn't have a winter snow bound cabin that I regularly go to.

Meh, use case matters. I got a Performance but I live in Texas. We don't have corners you take at speed here. Everything is a damned right turn at a stop sign or light. It's BORING.

Also, my driving consists of 80% highway commuting. I'm not using the tires capability there at all, they are a liability. I want some of the the benefits of the summers like good wet performance, crisp turn in feel and good grip when I want it, so I'm not going to an all season unless it's a high performance one.

To me, this strikes the best balance as it'll likely give enough summer tire performance for my needs while slightly increasing wear, decreasing consumption and noise.

Man you are not kidding, some of the roads here are not boring at ALL. Hang onto the steering wheel tight. It is exhilarating but it is also quite nice to flip on AutoPilot and feel like the car is on a rail. If we want straight we have the roads in the Central Valley, although they can be scary with big trucks all going 70+MPH.

Man you are not kidding, some of the roads here are not boring at ALL. Hang onto the steering wheel tight. It is exhilarating but it is also quite nice to flip on AutoPilot and feel like the car is on a rail. If we want straight we have the roads in the Central Valley, although they can be scary with big trucks all going 70+MPH.

Yeah, I grew up in the Adirondack and Catskill Mountains in NY and PA. I understand turns and elevation changes on roadways and miss them greatly.

Just spoke to Michelin Customer Service.

The Pilot Sport EV will be available to purchase July 1, 2021 in the following sizes:

255/45R19
235/45R20
255/40R20
255/35R21
275/35R21

So 18” Aero Wheel people (including myself) are out of luck.

Looks like the Primacy MXM4’s again for me. Was hoping for a less expensive option but I’m finding out there’s nothing out there that at least meets the specs of the MXM4’s.

I may try the premature wear warranty credit option when the time comes. Should help bring the price down a bit. For me I was offered 25% off.

BTW Pilot Sport EV will have the acoustic foam but no rim rash protection.