Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Performance/Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So at 74k miles my ORIGINAL Michelin Primacy are coming to an end. I still really good efficiency. I average around 240 wh/mi around town and around 270-290 on the highway at 70-75mph with AC on.

I have a friend who has a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 that he never put on. I know this is a summer performance tire. What should I expect in efficiency loss? I wouldn't mind sportier handing but I don't want to sacrifice so much range. Especially with supercharging being so much slower these days. I am in the Orlando, FL area so I don't need winter performance.

So at 74k miles my ORIGINAL Michelin Primacy are coming to an end. I still really good efficiency. I average around 240 wh/mi around town and around 270-290 on the highway at 70-75mph with AC on.

I have a friend who has a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3 that he never put on. I know this is a summer performance tire. What should I expect in efficiency loss? I wouldn't mind sportier handing but I don't want to sacrifice so much range. Especially with supercharging being so much slower these days. I am in the Orlando, FL area so I don't need winter performance.

Wow, 74K miles on any set of tires for such a heavy (and sport oriented) car is impressive. Did you keep them past the wear bars?

Michelins used to exceed their tread life warranty for me but not since the 1990s. As cars became heavier, I can barely get 35k-40k miles from any tire brand and I don't drive aggressively. I do tend to replace tires at 4/32nd though -- not worth going below that in wet weather.

Tires are an important decision and the best thing you can do to change the characteristics of your cars safety and handling IMHO. A few things to consider:

Pilot Sport 3s? These won’t have the Tesla foam for some sound deadening if that makes a difference to you.

You will get a hit in range since the rolling resistance of the Pilots is greater but it may not be as much as could be The PS3 are eco friendly and Green-X rated (verify on the sidewall before committing) so the efficiency hit of the PS3s won’t be as bad as Pilot Sports4S on the performance models (but neither will the braking, handling, and road holding be as good as the PS4).

You will also get a hit in tire longitivity. Since they are both Michelin, you can get a rough idea of how much by comparing the sidewall treadwear rating (can’t really do this across companies).

Further, the sidewall construction will be harsher and lead to a ”sportier ride” but this can also be felt as harsher ride to some if they don’t drive sportily.

Finally on an observational note, since you have 74k on your original tires, it doesn’t seem like you drive like you really need summer performance tires (harder acceleration and braking and high speed road holding will wear any tire quickly). Of course if its a good deal, it might be a good idea to try it out.

Reactions: Gt1948
The deal is very good. He’s basically giving these tires away to me. I’m getting a set of 4 new ones for 200 bucks.

I was lazy about replacing my current tires. They’re not completely worn down but they’re pretty far gone. I guess the reason I don’t wear out the tires much is that I’m always driving with either my wife or my parents in the car and they get headaches if I drive aggressively. So I drive carefully and I believe my lifetime average is somewhere in the 260s wh/mi.

These tires do say TO on them and say something about Michelin acoustic pmg technology so I thought it would have foam in them.

If I take a 10% hit on efficiency though it would be like my battery got capped in the 230s lol. My car still charges to 259 fully. I guess I could live with that for 20-30k miles.

No, PS3 do not have any foam inside and they use it on EU cars. Mine has them and it has close to 49k miles on it and still half way to go. As it’s needed to change tyres for winter then I have app. 2k miles per winter with other set.
I would grab that offer

Got the new tires. He already had them mounted on a set of slipstreams so I got new wheels and TPMS as well. I guess going from cyclones to slipstreams might lose some mileage as well.

Road noise seems to have dropped 10-15 decibels. My consumption is KILLING ME. Used to be 250 wh/mi around town. I think I’m averaging around 330 wh/mi now.

The tires are only inflated to 40psi. I ran my older tires at max sidewall so I still have to air them up. Also I’m aware they need to be broken in a little.

Will report back on efficiency once break in happens and I air up the tires. Loving the handling though!

Turns out they do have foam inside. Just got a flat. Big piece through the tire.

Attachments

• EC8EDAC4-6436-4178-8156-87D4691B5761.jpeg
    EC8EDAC4-6436-4178-8156-87D4691B5761.jpeg
    913.6 KB · Views: 109