Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4s (Dilemma)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I have 14,000 miles on a 2020 M3P. I am currently about 5mm of tread left. Tesla Mobile service mentioned at 4mm they insist on looking for new tires and by 3mm it should be replaced.

I called a few locations in Orange County, the best pricing was $1430 out the door including (MPS4s w/ Tesla version), installation and balancing.

Here is the dilemma. Should I pay about $175 more to have Tesla install the tires? With a different vehicle, after having new tires installed the wheels itself were scratched and dinged. I have the power coated 20 Inch performance wheels (Dark Grey). If Tesla scratches or dings the wheels, they will obviously cover it but probably now the local tire shop?

Does anyone have suggestions, on what questions to ask to ensure the powercoated wheels do not get scratched/digged with tire replacement?

M3P2020

Just checked and th
Makes sense! Does any fellow forum members ask any specific questions when replacing tires or just take in the vehicle and be done with it.

No, there's nothing different between the tires on a tesla or a ford focus, other than the size.

Just checked discount tire and the ps4s in 20" are only $1008 installed right now. The t0 spec may be a few dollars more, but I wouldn't personally worry about that if there's a big price difference

Just checked and th

No, there's nothing different between the tires on a tesla or a ford focus, other than the size.

Just checked discount tire and the ps4s in 20" are only $1008 installed right now. The t0 spec may be a few dollars more, but I wouldn't personally worry about that if there's a big price difference

Thank you for the information.

Attachments

• 20201121_134320.jpg
    20201121_134320.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 181
I’d find a reputable independent shop maybe even one that does higher end cars. They’ll be more careful jacking it up and not scratching the rims. Probably cheaper than Tesla but more expensive than a chain store. A chain store will probably be fine but I wouldn’t risk them damaging the battery, scratching the wheels, or stripping the lug nuts.

I’d find a reputable independent shop maybe even one that does higher end cars. They’ll be more careful jacking it up and not scratching the rims. Probably cheaper than Tesla but more expensive than a chain store. A chain store will probably be fine but I wouldn’t risk them damaging the battery, scratching the wheels, or stripping the lug nuts.

Exactly. This is not a cheap fix any of those items you mentioned. It's probably worth spending a few hundred more knowing it will be 100% with no incidents.

Hello!

I have 14,000 miles on a 2020 M3P. I am currently about 5mm of tread left. Tesla Mobile service mentioned at 4mm they insist on looking for new tires and by 3mm it should be replaced.

I called a few locations in Orange County, the best pricing was $1430 out the door including (MPS4s w/ Tesla version), installation and balancing.

Here is the dilemma. Should I pay about $175 more to have Tesla install the tires? With a different vehicle, after having new tires installed the wheels itself were scratched and dinged. I have the power coated 20 Inch performance wheels (Dark Grey). If Tesla scratches or dings the wheels, they will obviously cover it but probably now the local tire shop?

Does anyone have suggestions, on what questions to ask to ensure the powercoated wheels do not get scratched/digged with tire replacement?

M3P2020
I had the tires replaced at Costco. No issues at all. A second comment; I did not get the "tesla" tires that include the foam core for noise. I bought Michelin CrossClimate tires, the noise is not noticeably different, and the handling both dry and wet is much improved.

I had the tires replaced at Costco. No issues at all. A second comment; I did not get the "tesla" tires that include the foam core for noise. I bought Michelin CrossClimate tires, the noise is not noticeably different, and the handling both dry and wet is much improved.

Same, except PS4s instead of CrossClimate. Also got Michelin to pick up 40% since the MXM's wore out before the warranty. Costco tire manager also did the inspection Michelin asked for and confirmed the wear while I had them on the phone.

Same, except PS4s instead of CrossClimate. Also got Michelin to pick up 40% since the MXM's wore out before the warranty. Costco tire manager also did the inspection Michelin asked for and confirmed the wear while I had them on the phone.

@jroydog How exactly does the warranty work? I have 14,000 miles, I am assuming I can get another 2000-3000 more. The Michelin warranty, I believe is 30,000.

Michelin will cover a percentage since, I will probably be at 3mm?

***Update: Called Michelin***

All forum members, call Michelin when you get at 4/32 or below. They will set up a warranty claim, they will have the tire dealership verify the information. Once the tire dealership speaks to the Michelin over the phone, they will provide the dealership with a discount due to the fact it did not meet the 30k warranty.

***Update: Called Michelin***

All forum members, call Michelin when you get at 4/32 or below. They will set up a warranty claim, they will have the tire dealership verify the information. Once the tire dealership speaks to the Michelin over the phone, they will provide the dealership with a discount due to the fact it did not meet the 30k warranty.

Gonna go test the 0-60 time on my car a few times later today.