Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - variants

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I'm curious to hear what differences are known between the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire variants.

Tire Rack stocks 3 variants (so far?). In the comparison tool, the differences I see are the following:
  • Clarifier: "N/A" vs. "N0(Porsche)" vs. "TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech"
  • Price: increasing from left to right in the chart below
  • UTQG: 300 vs. 300 vs. 500 (all "AA A")
  • Tire Weight: 23 vs. 23. vs 24. lbs.
  • Tread Width: 8.5" vs. 8.6" vs. 8.8"
  • Country of Origin: FR vs. FR vs. US

MichelinPilotSport4S.png

I'm not sure what to expect regarding performance difference and tread life among the 3 flavors.

@doc@tirerack - Any info to offer here?

It would be great if someone would do a solid, scientific test of the standard PS4 "eco focus" tire VS the 500 treadwear Tesla spec tire.

This is interesting to anyone that wants to change to a different tire size, or use 19's. Any takers?

I thought it was already determined that Tirerack is wrong and the actual Tesla 20" OEM tires are 300 treadwear?

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
Regardless of the treadwear rating, it would still be very valuable to know the rolling resistance of the Tesla spec tire to the others .

The PS4S we have on our Tesla powered Evora don't have very impressive rolling resistance, they are only slightly better than the aggressive Trofeo-R we were using before. So I suspect a big difference in rolling resistance being possible!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Someone who's in the car-video biz said on Twitter that a Michelin rep told them that it must be a Tire Rack typo, as there's no PS4S tire with a 500 treadwear rating.

FWIW, I dug up the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S spec sheet and every tire listed there has the regular 300 treadwear rating: https://www.michelinman.com/upload/michelin_us/specifications/specs-pilot-sport-4s.pdf

FWIW they only list 2 tires in 235/35-20- while we know at least 3 exist (regular, Tesla spec, and Porsche spec)- the two on your chart match the regular and Porsche spec (9.5 tread depth) but none on your chart match the Tesla one (listed as 9).

THAT said- pics of the actual tires coming on the car seem to trump whatever tirerack lists :)

That brings us to Mountainpasses question about resistance (and any impact from the acoustic foam) since even Elon said the PS4s on the P were picked for range over performance

FWIW they only list 2 tires in 235/35-20- while we know at least 3 exist (regular, Tesla spec, and Porsche spec)- the two on your chart match the regular and Porsche spec (9.5 tread depth) but none on your chart match the Tesla one (listed as 9).

THAT said- pics of the actual tires coming on the car seem to trump whatever tirerack lists :)

That brings us to Mountainpasses question about resistance (and any impact from the acoustic foam) since even Elon said the PS4s on the P were picked for range over performance

I mean it's not my chart... It's a document straight from Michelin ;). It could potentially be out of date, or... perhaps there really isn't a Tesla-specific version of the PS4S.

Seems to me the way to confirm this would be to reach out to Michelin directly for confirmation.

Well I see the words TO written on the tire in the picture so it clearly makes sense something is different about it. Might be a revised version with 300 tread wear instead of 500. 500 would be a very hard tire for a Pilot sport 4S. Might be as simple as a misprint from Michelin.

Can any P3D owner confirm whether the 20" stock tires have foam inserts inside of them?

That's what Tesla has said and what's been reported elsewhere, yes.

Michelin Pilot Alpins in the OEM size went on my car yesterday and I sense a clear difference in tire noise. They're not noisy per se, but they're noisier than the PS4s. They're also slightly squishier, but that was to be expected.

Can any P3D owner confirm whether the 20" stock tires have foam inserts inside of them?

That should probably be the main difference (and reason for the TO label), but it's strange on the picture posted above we don't see the "Acoustic"+Headphone logo on the tire. The 18" Michelin tires have it: #20

I can confirm there's foam lining inside the OEM PS4S. I swapped over to the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and kept my PS4S and there's definitely foam inside.

TireRack is advertising the TO Tesla tires as 300 tread wear now. What’s still interesting is that the tread width and depth is still different between TO tesla with acoustic tech and regular tire....with the TO one being wider and shorter depth. So question still remains are they the same exact tires with just foam being added...or are they different tires? Tire rack is the only one that states tread width.

Last edited: