Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S versus Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 tires versus Michelin Cross Climate+ ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to the findings from this table, I am considering the Michelin Cross Climate +, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the Model 3.

Since I live in the UK, we rarely get snow or ice, but often the temperature can dip below 7C (45F). Which out of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would provide more grip in that range between 0C and 7C?

In general, do many of you prefer a Summer tire or All Season tire in the UK?

Thanks to the findings from this table

Nokians not listed at all?

Winter tests list Light/Deep snow and Ice traction. 95% of my winter driving is low-temperature and wet or perhaps slightly icy. Not sure what Ice Traction means, but I am looking for ability to get around a corner without a surprise if I hit some black ice half way round, and similarly to stop without drama. I'm not bothered about acceleration traction (Dunno about other EVs, but Tesla seems to have that licked, I can launch on a wet road and on sharp bend with no drama. Might be a tad slower than in the dry, but not much, but the outcome is the same)

I see snow only a few days a year, most winters. Not the same as driving in a Winter climate country ...

The chart shows that most all season beat nearly all Winter tyres in all winter tests ... seems improbable?

do many of you prefer a Summer tire or All Season tire in the UK?

I have Winter Tyres in Winter, and Summer Tyres in Summer.

Thanks to the findings from this table, I am considering the Michelin Cross Climate +, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5, or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for the Model 3.

Since I live in the UK, we rarely get snow or ice, but often the temperature can dip below 7C (45F). Which out of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S would provide more grip in that range between 0C and 7C?

In general, do many of you prefer a Summer tire or All Season tire in the UK?

Summer tyres all year round, but we rarely see snow and I live in a fairly large town so roads are gritted frequently.

Although winter tyres, or something like the crossclimate, are good in snow, the 7C number is often banded about in a way that it's this cut off point, below which summer tyres become useless. What you'll see from a lot of tyre tests in in cold and wet conditions (like we see in the UK) a high performance summer tyre will outperform a winter tyre. In the snow it's totally different of course.

It'll be the 3P, but with 18" alloys.

If that's the p- then it comes with 18" Michelin PS4 (not ps4s)
Mine have been very good so far and will last a year or 2 at which point I imagine there will be a new pilot sport 5...
Also worth noting that the OEM tyres from Tesla (T0 marking) have foam in them to make them quieter.

If that's the p- then it comes with 18" Michelin PS4 (not ps4s)
Mine have been very good so far and will last a year or 2 at which point I imagine there will be a new pilot sport 5...
Also worth noting that the OEM tyres from Tesla (T0 marking) have foam in them to make them quieter.
That’s interesting.
So replacements are noisier? Much noisier? Can we get replacement Tesla OEMs?

I bought winter wheels and tyres for my current car as the Goodyear Eagle F1s were like Bambi on ice once we got some frosty weather.
If my car wasn't up for sale I'd be preparing to put the winter wheels with Nokian WRD4s on by the end of this month.

Had 255 35 19 Goodyear eagle F1 as 3 on my previous Audi which had quarto (4 wheel drive )they were ok in the snow and cold.
The current pilot sport 4 feels more grippy than those Goodyear's though so hopefully they'll be ok in the cold as well.

The OEM Tesla tyres obviously have the foam for a reason to reduce road noise. Would have thought that they wouldn't have wasted money designing them if they didn't work. Apparently they are good at blocking out motorway road noise so the mid range noise you get rather than just the dB number.

Also not sure the ps4s come in 18 size which is why Tesla only use the PS4 for 18" wheels?